The Post Game Burning Issues | The Boneyard

The Post Game Burning Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After Fuller's Blog yesterday I have three issues for the Post exhibition game: 1) Will MoJeff be down from her sugar high; 2) Which freshman will knock over the water station; and, the real one 3) Will Saniya start and how will Saniya perform?

Reaction Score
Regarding #3 above, I believe Saniya will start for the foreseable future. My question is...how many games will it take until Kia sees more minutes of prime game time than Saniya. This is a question of performance/contribution, not for or against any UCOONN woman.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What is it exactly that you think Kia does so much better than Saniya?

Reaction Score
The stats seem fairly even, I can easily see them splitting the time at the 2. 13 points, 8 RBs, 11 Assists, very nice production from the position.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of both of these young women and it doesn't have to be one or the other. Who has the edge at this point? Clearly it is Kia. From the time it was made known we were recruiting her I made it a project to find whatever I could on her, since I'm an exCanuck myself. She is fearless and a stone cold killer on the floor. There is no back down in her. Saniya has quicks and is a terrific shooter. Good on both of them. I think Kia can play 1-3. Saniya is pretty much a 2 with some spot 1 in a pinch, though the one potential may grow.

Reaction Score
The stats seem fairly even, I can easily see them splitting the time at the 2. 13 points, 8 RBs, 11 Assists, very nice production from the position.

Kia played half the minutes and a little better production!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kia played half the minutes and a little better production!
Look again it was much more than half the minutes.

Jefferson 21 minutes
Chong 20 minutes
Nurse 18 minutes (90% of Chong's minutes)

Nurse had the edge in points 8/5, tied in rebounds 4/4, edge in steals, trailed in 3s at 0 for 1 to 1 for 3, slight edge of 6 /5 in assists, trailed in TOs 3 to none. I call it a wash.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Look also at the TOs. That is not going to make anyone happy. I think Nurse and Tuck are going to provide a great 1 2 punch off the bench. Could they both start - yes, but the team is better having them coming off the bench.

Reaction Score

Jefferson 21 minutes
Chong 20 minutes

Nurse had the edge in points 8/5, tied in rebounds 4/4, edge in steals, trailed in 3s at 0 for 1 to 1 for 3, slight edge of 6 /5 in assists, trailed in TOs 3 to none. I call it a wash.
Adjusted for the 90% playing time it's more like 9/5 points, 4.5/4 rebounds, 0/1.1 threes (who cares - already reflected in the point totals), 7/5 assists, 0/4 TOs. IMO clear edge for Nurse, except for the TOs, which could admittedly nullify everything else. To me Nurse just looked more impressive. Add in the experience factor and Nurse's learning curve should be much steeper.

Reaction Score

Jefferson 21 minutes
Chong 20 minutes

Call it awash and then consider Nurse has had weeks of practise with the UCONN system and Chong has had a year and weeks. Watch the gap widen as Nurse gets more comfortable with UCONN!

Reaction Score
Adjusted for the 90% playing time it's more like 9/5 points, 4.5/4 rebounds, 0/1.1 threes (who cares - already reflected in the point totals), 7/5 assists, 0/4 TOs. IMO clear edge for Nurse, except for the TOs, which could admittedly nullify everything else. To me Nurse just looked more impressive. Add in the experience factor and Nurse's learning curve should be much steeper.

"Except the turnovers"
That's pretty significant. UConn has enough scorers and rebounders. They need someone who won't mess up.

Reaction Score
"Except the turnovers"
That's pretty significant. UConn has enough scorers and rebounders. They need someone who won't mess up.
Agree - I'm sure she'll be working on that. Nurse brings a proactive confidence and energy that I don't see with Chong. Maybe that's best for off the bench for now, like UconnWBB said. Eventually she just won't be able to be kept out of the starting lineup though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought both Kia and Saniya looked good. Kia scored early and looked aggressive. She also looks experienced. She has yet to play an official college game. She's going to be very good. Eric mentioned the sophomore leap recently. I don't know of Kia is typical. I hope she has one next year, though I wonder if she may be beyond that already.

How good did Morgan look today? Well, remember when she was the best player in her class? She looked that good. It's easy to see why Geno says she's indispensable. She does everything right. And she does everything.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. Geno gave the freshman plenty of PT. Williams because of her 2 right sneakers got limited minutes but I can see signs of this group coming together with a need for a lot of growth. Ekmark was told to shoot and she did. She is a terrific shooter. She took the ball to the hoop a couple of times and was fouled. She is going to open things up with her shooting. Sadie got some significant minutes. Did a nice job handling the ball and played some good defense. Gabby sat for bringing to right sneakers but did play a few minutes and looked good. Kia is really good. She is confident, and takes charge. When we ran she looked really good calling out to her team mates. Shes gonna be a star. Gotta wonder if that's one of the reasons Asia Durr didn't come. Saniya put up some nice numbers. Not flashy but got the job done. With that said MoJeff Saniya and Kia are really good handling the ball, playing defense tipping the ball and limited turnovers.

Morgan Tuck looked really good too. Check the stats something like 20+ pts and 15 rebounds. Good moves underneath and hit a trey that was waved off because of a 3 second call. As a team we missed some bunnies underneath. Hey its early in the season we have to make them no excuses.

This is a really really good team. The freshman will come along just fine. We need patience. Don't expect them to be to much it will take some time for them to adjust to UConn BB but they've all got the talent. From what I saw. Gabby will be playing down low and will be effective down low. She is still rusty from her 2 ACLs. Courtney is a great shooter. When she gets hot she wont miss. She needs to get comfortable with the UConn system. Sadie hustles plays good D and can handle the ball. Kia plays like an upper classman. Kia and Morgan imo should be coming off the bench. They're instant offense and I don't mean scoring. They can play the game without thinking. They are both really really good.

UC Davis will be a battle. Its not gonna come easy as some might think. We are playing on the left coast, after a 7-8 hour flight and the change in time and all of UC Davis is excited to have UConn out there. Its early in the season so expect some rust and toughness. The Stanford game should show us where we are and what we need to work on. Yeah Stanford isn't as strong as they were the past few seasons but they are balanced and tuff. Tara will have them ready. Both games will be a good measuring stick as to where we are and what we need to work on. I expect our veterans to carry us in both games.

Reaction Score
UC Davis will be a battle. Its not gonna come easy as some might think. We are playing on the left coast, after a 7-8 hour flight and the change in time and all of UC Davis is excited to have UConn out there. Its early in the season so expect some rust and toughness. The Stanford game should show us where we are and what we need to work on. Yeah Stanford isn't as strong as they were the past few seasons but they are balanced and tuff. Tara will have them ready. Both games will be a good measuring stick as to where we are and what we need to work on. I expect our veterans to carry us in both games.
So UC Davis will seriously challenge Stewart, KML, Jefferson and Stokes? Since we're going to beat ND, Duke, Stanford and USC by 30+, then UC Davis would probably beat them, right? :confused:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
So UC Davis will seriously challenge Stewart, KML, Jefferson and Stokes? Since we're going to beat ND, Duke, Stanford and USC by 30+, then UC Davis would probably beat them, right? :confused:

It's best to take it one game at a time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
FIrst game of the season, game on the road I expect to be a little rusty and face a tight zone defense. Yeah we will win and win big but we will have a good fight on our hands. JMO. BTW yes we will blow out just about every team, go undefeated and win another NC. Ive said before. So long as were healthy Breanna will not lose a NC while at UConn.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game, some thoughts:

When Kia is substituted in, the energy level of play seems to go up. Saniya does nothing wrong, but is not as big, strong or as experienced as Kia. Saniya "loads" up her three attempt at just above the shoulder, taking additional split seconds to release. She is not a catch and shoot like Kaleena. Kia uses her left arm to clear her opponent off her - it was not called today, but will once the refs get use to seeing her.

The most disappointing thing to me was today's first half defense. Post players could shoot clean shots from 17' out. Whether in man or zone, the off side defender would get so far away from the offensive player ( to guard the weak side) that they could not/ did not get back to even slightly impact the shot. If Post were a decent D1 team, the score would have been near even or worse (scoring by Breanna, Kiah and Morgan need to be deeply discounted - Breanna played like she was alone on a practice court, no one in sight.)

I read on here somewhere on here that people were mad that Bob Joyce called Morgan a "bull in a china shop". Well, she is at times, but he left off two important words, extremely effective - "extremely effective bull in a china shop".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom