The Possibility We Were Bandying About... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Possibility We Were Bandying About...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're not the first person to say this. But I wish you and everyone else who is thinking like this were working the AD right now.

This is great thinking because we are changing the landscape instead of being subjected to it.

The problem with this thinking is it doesn't threaten anyone but Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest, BC, and Pitt, and only 1 of those schools (BC) has a say in the matter. Every other school knows it has a landing spot if members of the ACC take off. they can care less about UConn. Only those 5 schools should be concerned with their futures, and about possible new adds to their conference should schools depart.

The others don't care if we're UConn or S. Conn. St.

Even worse, BC and Cuse would probably prefer adding Delaware because they never anticipated UConn shooting up so quickly in football.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And what if the ACC doesn't invite us for 2, 3, 4 years?

Eventually, yeah, you'd need to cut bait. But I'd be shocked if the landscape doesn't change dramatically in the next 1-2 years. I would *not* want to get locked into a non-BCS conference right now. I agree the "Big East" or whatever it is worst-case situation, long-term. But we're not going to be in it long-term. The real worst case scenario is being in a grab bag with Houston and New Mexico. I just think that will always be there for us. We're not looking too handsome right now but there are a LOT of ugly girls who would still bang us.

Reaction Score
The only thing I know is that hoping for an ACC invite is a losing proposition for us. We have an athletic department, in a decent market, that spends money, that generates revenue, that has had success on a national level, a school with good to great academics and rising and the ACC has found one reason after another to pass on us.

That isn't a coincidence or a "perfect storm".

Reaction Score
The only thing I know is that hoping for an ACC invite is a losing proposition for us. We have an athletic department, in a decent market, that spends money, that generates revenue, that has had success on a national level, a school with good to great academics and rising and the ACC has found one reason after another to pass on us.

Exactly.

Still seeing alot of people making assumptions that this thing or that thing will happen for us, as if it is inevitable.

It's not .

Reaction Score
Break down the situation.

1) Once the Catholic 7 notify the Big East they are leaving, the only voting members are USF, UConn, Cincinnati and maybe Temple (the "Football 4"), until July 1. Those 4 can do whatever they want after that in terms of revising bylaws, including exit fees. They also get to keep everyone else's exit fees. While there is some case law supporting a claim by the departing schools to get their exit fees back, a lawsuit is unlikely because of the threat of a countersuit by the Football 4.

2) Tell Tulane that they are sorry it didn't work out, but Tulane is no longer invited. Tulane may justifiably sue, so the Football 4 may have to dissolve the league rather than rescind Tulane's invitation.

3) Form the league they want with the best of the rest. There are NO legacy attachments. Goodbye Tulane. ECU, you are on the cusp, but will probably make the cut.

4) Sign a GOR contingent on a minimum revenue threshold. If the NNL (New New League) generates $10MM per school, then the GOR is in effect. If it generates $4MM per school, everyone is free to trade. A network, particularly NBC, will want some level of commitment, but this will also force NBC to make a meaningful financial commitment of their own. Ignore the ESPN and CBS articles. An all sports league with the schools on the docket will still get a meaningful payday. Rutgers and Louisville were not THAT valuable that their loss will cost the Big East half its revenue.

5) I would go big. If this is going to be an all sports league, I would go to at least 14, and maybe 16.

6) I would also make this performance based in terms of revenue split. The schools that win and generate TV appearances get a disproportionate share of the revenue.

7) the GOR is important because it will force action by the ACC or Big 10. Remember how they said "UConn will always be available". Well, we need to change that situation. If the ACC sees that UConn and Cincinnati are about to sign a GOR, it will force action on their part.

I like it and would add one more thing....

8) Be the first conference to pay a stipend to football players thus attracting talent. Have NBC pay the bill.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
haw
fresno
sdsu
sj
bsu
idaho
wy
byu

cst
usu
unlv
unr
nm
nmst
tulsa

i don't understand why the west schools in todays climate don't band together for all sports. theres your 16. with bsu byu and a few others your relevant fball wise and are a player for multiple ranked teams a year. bball wise your a legit league. if u lose schools to the pac or elsewhere then u have other fish to pluck. u get texas schools or let the daks and monts upgrade.

i think eventually some president out west is going to hammer this out and get it done for all involved. have a nice size buyout that is agreed to on joining this and get a nbc deal for 4 or 5 mil a team. if there is a school or 2 like who doesn't want to play bball then zag and mary are there if needed. this should be what happens out west.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I am so turned off by the ACC right now. They would be the fall back if and only if we can't get something worked out with B1G or even the B12. We got a lot to offer. Let's hope we are in secret discussion with the B1G being their #15 or #16 school.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I hope that Aresco has the sack to re-evaluate invites. There would be nothing wrong with a "do over". I mean, Tulane? Really?

Pick your core teams, see where BYU stands and explore other western possibilities. They'd have to be for all sports, too. No FB onlies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I hope that Aresco has the sack to re-evaluate invites. There would be nothing wrong with a "do over". I mean, Tulane? Really?

If I can be so bold as to go all "Conspiracy Kitty" for a moment:

I don't believe for one second that the basketball schools didn't vote in Tulane. We've already heard that UConn and Cincy abstained from the vote, and you would need a majority of the basketball schools to say yes anyways (if I understand the BE voting system). But I think it was a stroke of genius on their part! They clearly had already talked about leaving the conference (I heard a rumor the C-7 was discussing it for the last six months or so). But how could they be sure that UConn and Cincy would vote to disband the conference so that they could collect their shares of the NCAA credits, exit fees, and not have to pay an exit fee for themselves? Add yet another brutally bad team. Brutally bad.

Cincy and UConn won't want to stay with a Tulane. Hell, Boise and SDSU might not want to stay with a Tulane (especially when you throw Memphis in the pot). The result? The Sporting News report (seen below), saying UConn and Cincy considering starting a "new new new Big East of their own." Brilliant move by the C-7. Masterful. God damnit!!!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...st-leaving-conference-realignment-connecticut

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We are always at risk of getting passed up again. BC will always block us, as will Miami. You can now add Syracuse to that mix. You have to realize, mother fuggers are trying to freeze us out.
I'm not quite so sure on this, has it been reported why Cuse blocked UConn and would they continue to do so in the future? I read that they lobbied for Louisville over us, but it's unclear to me whether that means they would lobby/vote for someone else (Cincy) over UConn in the future. If Jim Boeheim has any pull (I guess he doesn't) you'd think Cuse would like having a traditional bball rival in their league. My feeling would be - explore this new league, but don't sign anything like a GOR until after Pitt/Cuse get voting rights and test the ACC waters again. At least see if the FSU instability is still there in a year.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite so sure on this, has it been reported why Cuse blocked UConn and would they continue to do so in the future? I read that they lobbied for Louisville over us, but it's unclear to me whether that means they would lobby/vote for someone else (Cincy) over UConn in the future. If Jim Boeheim has any pull (I guess he doesn't) you'd think Cuse would like having a traditional bball rival in their league. My feeling would be - explore this new league, but don't sign anything like a GOR until after Pitt/Cuse get voting rights and test the ACC waters again. At least see if the FSU instability is still there in a year.

This is where you need to turn off your inner John Locke and listen to your inner Thomas Hobbes.

Everyone knows that competition is healthy. But sometimes it's a smart move to eliminate a rival and give yourself more breathing room.

We are naive. Nobody is sitting around hoping to help us. They want us dead. If they can find a fill in and cut off our oxygen, they will do it.

When UConn moved up to FBS our fans were actually shocked that everyone didn't welcome us with open arms. It was the other way around.

We need to wake up.

Reaction Score
It is clear from their fan bases that they resent losing to us on football. They partly blame their decline on having to compete for recruits against an additional school, in area of the country where impact recruits were limited to begin with. Like every thing else, if their administrations hear this enough they are going to want to see us knocked down a peg so it benefits them.

UConn would be wise to kick the tires on the big 12 , and offering them games in NYC regularly as a caveat.

Reaction Score
I like this. I'd even consider going as big as 24, and breaking down into Pods of six. Perhaps target a school like Ohio, out of the MAC, LA Tech wherever they play, Wyoming, Nevada? I don't know. Like I said outside the box.
I'm too lazy too read the post as well.
There is no way you can have a league at this point without Boise... You missed them.

Reaction Score
for those looking to join up with the C7, do you propose to shut the lights out on the FB program.
Uconn has spent 10 years trying to play, beat, and compete on the same level with Michigan, Ohio State, Syracuse, and BC. That short tenure is why our FB program is viewed negatively. no other reason.
What is the perception if Uconn follows the BB schools to join a BB only league. It certainly doesn't suggest that FB is top priority.
Uconn committed to Big Time football. It needs to stay with the remaining Big Boys and see this through. Our BB program is big enough and good enough to whether this storm. If this is what Uconn fans have to endure to prove they are committed then so be it. I have no problem playing Boise, Cincy, Temple, USF, Nevada, or even BYU if they are available.

anywhere, anytime B-tches... That has to be the new attitude.

Reaction Score

Except for the Miami/VaTech/BC raid, the ACC hasn't passed on us. We've passed on them.

Reaction Score
Except for the Miami/VaTech/BC raid, the ACC hasn't passed on us. We've passed on them.
You don't really believe that, do you? Is there any evidence of that? If we did, it was really stupid.

Reaction Score
You don't really believe that, do you? Is there any evidence of that? If we did, it was really stupid.

I believe we are going to the B1G, yes. I believe the evidence for that is abundant, substantial, and convincing. I believe if there is any talk between us and the ACC it isn't progressing particularly well because it is us who is stalling for time. We fit too well for the ACC to be ignoring us. Even those there who might oppose us can read the writing on the wall and understand they may have to swallow their pride.

Reaction Score
Hahaha. I hope you are right, but highly doubtful.

In any event. Anything UConn does going forward has to be with the understanding that an ACC invite is unlikely to come. UConn has to be open to any measure that will keep our football viable.

Do I think the ACC is threatened by this new configuration. Like upstater said, no I do not. UConn however has to proceed like the ACC is not an option and began carving out the best way for our athletics to thrive. If being part of a huge coast to coast conference is the way, then so be it.

Reaction Score
I believe we are going to the B1G, yes. I believe the evidence for that is abundant, substantial, and convincing. I believe if there is any talk between us and the ACC it isn't progressing particularly well because it is us who is stalling for time. We fit too well for the ACC to be ignoring us. Even those there who might oppose us can read the writing on the wall and understand they may have to swallow their pride.
Totally not attacking you by the way. We have no way for anyone to really know. If your theory is true, however, I'd be pissed unless we have absolute evidence that the B1g has told us we're getting the call as of 201x. I'd want the docs signed and a provision that says we get $250 million if they bail for any reason other than something that could've gotten us kicked out as an actual member. Outside of that I think we tell the B1G "sounds great, call us when you're ready, we'll be in the ACC 'til then."

Reaction Score
Hahaha. I hope you are right, but highly doubtful.

In any event. Anything UConn does going forward has to be with the understanding that an ACC invite is unlikely to come. UConn has to be open to any measure that will keep our football viable.

Do I think the ACC is threatened by this new configuration. Like upstater said, no I do not. UConn however has to proceed like the ACC is not an option and began carving out the best way for our athletics to thrive. If being part of a huge coast to coast conference is the way, then so be it.

Yes, I agree. What other option does UConn have? None. They have to play in such a conference. I've been saying that from the beginning rather than this CYO nonsense. The only thing is that it doesn't matter to me whether we play Tulane or New Mexico.

I honestly don't care about that.

I hadn't considered that by dissolving the league, the schools can split all the exit fees and credits. That's a good point someone made. I also hadn't realized that the NCAA credits earned in the last several years would have to be split with the new schools joining.

Reaction Score
uconn needs to show, despite the circumstances we control ne. it doesn't matter what conference we're in...

Reaction Score
Totally not attacking you by the way. We have no way for anyone to really know. If your theory is true, however, I'd be pissed unless we have absolute evidence that the B1g has told us we're getting the call as of 201x. I'd want the docs signed and a provision that says we get $250 million if they bail for any reason other than something that could've gotten us kicked out as an actual member. Outside of that I think we tell the B1G "sounds great, call us when you're ready, we'll be in the ACC 'til then."

Our invite is being delayed by UVa. That's my guess. If what I've read about the difficulty in prying Maryland out of the ACC is true, prying UVa loose has to be an order of magnitude harder...and that's now, after UMd has already fallen. The B1G is counting on all the big brains in Charlottesville to figure out that the ACC is going to be odd man out at the big boys table. That will take some time. Inertia always has to be overcome. So sayeth I. Newton (or words to that effect).

The B1G doesn't want to invite UConn now only to invite UVa in a year or so. That would roil the waters unnecessarily and make them look impetuous and insecure. Better to bring the two of us in together and present the completed master plan. The Northeast from Washington D.C. to Boston secured by 5 teams (Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Virginia, and Connecticut). Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State rotating through to generate a buzz that gets louder and louder. The conference title game played in New York...with, eventually, some UConn and Rutgers flavoring sprinkled in.

It's all spelled out, logically, and in Delany's own words. The only hold outs on here are those who offer zero/zilch/nada in the way of rational support for their conclusion. "We're never going to the B1G." That's all they offer. Take a look at the data again, guys. You're position is based on the way things were when we joined the Big East for football. Time to recalibrate. We're going to the B1G and so is Virginia. It's not done but that's the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom