The Possibility We Were Bandying About... | The Boneyard

The Possibility We Were Bandying About...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ideal situation is B1G take UCONN and UVA. ACC will fill the spot with Cincy. Everyone got a home and best of the rest can form an CUSA type of conference.

If the ACC or the B1G does not make their moves, then I might serious consider this option if the money is good. It would be much easier for all the teams just to leave their current conference now and form a brand new national one if there is enough money. Like some people said, it is better to control your own destiny vs. sitting there waiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they can get UConn and Cincinnati at a discount, why not move now?

I'd rather make concession to the B1G than to the ACC, but as I've said elsewhere, any port will do in a storm. We are pretty vulnerable right now. It makes sense to pick us up now while we are more likely to take a reduced share for an extended period of time.

Reaction Score
You know what? I'd do it. At some point, we have to accept that we either have to sit around and wait or take control of our own destiny.
Amen to that. Plus it was the first positive news we've heard in awhile...wait was it even positive or just neutral?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So we are basically going to tell the average chick "you better invite me to the prom b/c your varsity QB boyfriend is about to get asked by the head cheerleader, and if you don't i'll kill myself and you'll have to go to the prom with even more of a reject?"

Interesting. Might be dumb enough to work.
Hahaha fantastic analogy.

Reaction Score
Legally and timing wise, this sounds tricky. The Big East has a $10 million exit fee. If the Catholics cannot dissolve the league by themselves, then the Big East may remain and may force anyone that wants to leave to pay that exit fee. Having UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, Memphis, Temple, Boise State, and San Diego State all pay $10 million each is a lot of money for programs not getting BCS-level payouts. To avoid this, the schools would have to dissolve now, but do so on the risk of being stuck in an even worse position then a Catholic-less Big East would place them.

To get all these schools on board in such a short time and to agree to certain conditions will not be easy. And it's even less time if this is supposed to be leverage for the ACC or someone else. A grant of rights also sounds like a terrible idea. I doubt its worth it to give those up.

Reaction Score
The problem with a GOR is that you relegate yourself to irrelevancy forever on the 10% or less chance that braindead ACC bites on this.

Whereas by sticking with the BE, you not only have access to a ton of NCAA credits and exit fees, but there's a 50% chance the ACC breaks up and you rejoin the old BE schools.

UConn needs to look at the big picture: a future of MWC/BE or a future of Cuse, BC, Pitt, Duke, Wake, Cincy, USF, Temple...?

Uh, now that I look at that, this may not be such a bad idea...

Still, the BE money would need to be negotiated.

Reaction Score
So we are basically going to tell the average chick "you better invite me to the prom b/c your varsity QB boyfriend is about to get asked by the head cheerleader, and if you don't i'll kill myself and you'll have to go to the prom with even more of a reject?"

Interesting. Might be dumb enough to work.

Boy, I would have died a long time ago trying this strategy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This might work. Being the last one standing on Titanic's deck might actually prove to be a powerful position. ESPN and the ACC both want the Big East dead and buried. We can deliver the final blow in exchange for a soft landing. This makes sense because it doesn't make sense.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
UConn
Cincy
USF
Memphis
Temple
ECU
UMass
UCF

Boise St.
SDSU
BYU
UNLV
New Mexico
SMU
Houston
Tulsa
7 reg season games against your division plus 2 crossover games for FB. Home and home against division plus 4 crossover games for BB. Other olympic sports can stay within division.

Advantage is that a logical spread across time zones equals more content for someone like NBC.

Reaction Score
It could work for several reasons:

1. it's a conference made up of teams that need each other, now;
2. it could be limited to a FB/BB league and let everyone branch out for mroe regioanl conferences to align other sports (akin to hockey plans);
3. it does hit on the issue many fail to realize - how vulnerable some of the ACC knows it is (i.e., Duke, Wake, GT, and the BE defectors);
4. Dissolve the league or don't oppose dissolving it, and there are no exit fees;
5. Get your commish on with BCS now and say, we want preferential rights over rest of conferences b/c we own the best of the rest.

At least it suggests we are being proactive, which is contrary to what most here think - which is that folks are surfing the net and not doing their job (like most of us)

Reaction Score
UConn
Cincy
USF
Memphis
Temple
ECU
UMass
UCF

Boise St.
SDSU
BYU
UNLV
New Mexico
SMU
Houston
Tulsa
7 reg season games against your division plus 2 crossover games for FB. Home and home against division plus 4 crossover games for BB. Other olympic sports can stay within division.

Advantage is that a logical spread across time zones equals more content for someone like NBC.

Give up on BYU, they are ND in drag. Tulsa? UMass? Just have 12.

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the talk about NCAA credits and exit fees. They are one time revenues. Yes, you would rather have them than not have them but they are totally, totally irrelevant to the long term success of our athletic programs compared to who our conference mates are.

Reaction Score
I can't see the B1G invite coming. And my concern is that any ACC invite would come to a conference that would have lost football relevance. I agree with HobokenHusky, this might be dumb enough to work. A competitive basketball and football conference. If you can get BYU to sign up, I'd say why not?

Reaction Score
i think its a ploy to see if the acc or b1g will jump and try to add them at a discounted price

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't understand all the talk about NCAA credits and exit fees. They are one time revenues. Yes, you would rather have them than not have them but they are totally, totally irrelevant to the long term success of our athletic programs compared to who our conference mates are.

The problem is that it's six years worth of rolling NCAA credits with a very large value associated to them right now (although one would expect that number to be constantly diminishing after this year). Six years is an absolute eternity in conference realignment terms. Hell, six minutes is an eternity...

Reaction Score
The problem is that it's six years worth of rolling NCAA credits with a very large value associated to them right now (although one would expect that number to be constantly diminishing after this year). Six years is an absolute eternity in conference realignment terms. Hell, six minutes is an eternity...

We're going to recap the credits owed to us. The exit fees are funny money anyways. We wouldn't have seen a dime of it if we went to the ACC anyways.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We're going to recap the credits owed to us. The exit fees are funny money anyways. We wouldn't have seen a dime of it if we went to the ACC anyways.

The credits really are ours, I agree! It's comical that a lot of schools who have done crap are going to collect some big time money based on all the success we had over the last 6 years.....our nipples hurt from all the suckling going on!!!

Reaction Score
This is even better than what I am talking about. You know what? Screw the BE.

Barring an invite to the ACC or the B1G. Why on earth would we stay in the Big East construct?

It's a failed strategy. It's insanity.

If there is a GOR involved, stick with the BE.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It wouldn't change the Conference much.

East:
UConn
Cincinnati
South Florida,
Memphis
Temple
Central Florida

*the article implies kicking Navy and ECU to the curbs

West:
Boise State
San Diego State
UNLV
New Mexico
Houston
SMU

The article implies kicking SMU and Houston and Tulane to the curb to get UNLV and Mexico State. Forget BYU and .

Reaction Score

They are not totally irrelevant to the long term success. They are a bridge that keeps the athletic department afloat on the 50/50 chance that the ACC loses members in the next 5 years. By granting your rights to this MWC thing for ten, you've effectively relegated your school to mid-major-dom not only for the next 10 years, but perhaps for as long as college sports are still played in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom