The Possibility We Were Bandying About... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Possibility We Were Bandying About...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with this.

B1G will not happen.

ACC is hanging on tenterhooks, unless the ESPN comes to the rescue with $$$, and if that happens, get out the shanks.

upstater -

As one of the more reasonable voices here, I'd like to hear more about the reasons for your certitude that we have no hope of an invitation to the B1G. What are the factors that lead you to that conclusion?

Reaction Score
upstater -

As one of the more reasonable voices here, I'd like to hear more about the reasons for your certitude that we have no hope of an invitation to the B1G. What are the factors that lead you to that conclusion?

Because the B1G needs 2, and when 1 other than UConn becomes available, you can bet there will be at least 1 more with a better profile.

Say UVa leaves. Then at least one other of the old guard ACC schools will jump too. Say the ACC falls apart. The B1G has better candidates.

Do I believe UConn is a better candidate than Cuse and BC? Yes. Better than Pitt? No--except the BTN already owns that part of the state.

Reaction Score
Because the B1G needs 2, and when 1 other than UConn becomes available, you can bet there will be at least 1 more with a better profile.

Say UVa leaves. Then at least one other of the old guard ACC schools will jump too. Say the ACC falls apart. The B1G has better candidates.

Do I believe UConn is a better candidate than Cuse and BC? Yes. Better than Pitt? No--except the BTN already owns that part of the state.

I would have agreed with your "old guard ACC schools" assessment a month ago. In fact, I offered my thoughts that UVa and UNC were the obvious front runners for B1G invitations. It's really the re-look I did at population centers that got me to change my mind. North Carolina is a great fit for the B1G in many respects, but so is UConn. And UConn is at least as well positioned to deliver 15 million New Englanders as UNC is to deliver 10 million North Carolinians.

I don't see good reasons why Delany would risk going head to head with the SEC in North Carolina when there's low hanging fruit elsewhere. Anything south of North Carolina would really be swinging at pitches in the dirt. To me, your caveat about Pitt says it all. There may be other schools superior to UConn but none of them deliver a return on investment with as little risk as we do.

Reaction Score
I would have agreed with your "old guard ACC schools" assessment a month ago. In fact, I offered my thoughts that UVa and UNC were the obvious front runners for B1G invitations. It's really the re-look I did at population centers that got me to change my mind. North Carolina is a great fit for the B1G in many respects, but so is UConn. And UConn is at least as well positioned to deliver 15 million New Englanders as UNC is to deliver 10 million North Carolinians.

I don't see good reasons why Delany would risk going head to head with the SEC in North Carolina when there's low hanging fruit elsewhere. Anything south of North Carolina would really be swinging at pitches in the dirt. To me, your caveat about Pitt says it all. There may be other schools superior to UConn but none of them deliver a return on investment with as little risk as we do.

Football talent. Maryland and New Jersey have a lot more of it than Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin. And so does North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Football talent. Maryland and New Jersey have a lot more of it than Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin. And so does North Carolina.

None of the reasons you've cited would lead me to the certitude of conviction you convey vis-a-vis UConn to the B1G. Cogent to be sure. A tipping of the scales? Perhaps, but I don't see it. Too many fingers are pointing directly at Storrs, CT and none point at Chapel Hill or Atlanta ot Tallahasse or Lawrence KS or...

Reaction Score
None of the reasons you've cited would lead me to the certitude of conviction you convey vis-a-vis UConn to the B1G. Cogent to be sure. A tipping of the scales? Perhaps, but I don't see it. Too many fingers are pointing directly at Storrs, CT and none point at Chapel Hill or Atlanta ot Tallahasse or Lawrence KS or...

You really believe UConn would be more of a pick-up than North Carolina?

Reaction Score

While UNC is probably more attractive, but why would B1G wants to go into a state that SEC is also eyeing? UNC is in SEC's territory and it would be wise for B1G to stop at VA and focus on the Northeast and the Midwest.

Reaction Score
While UNC is probably more attractive, but why would B1G wants to go into a state that SEC is also eyeing? UNC is in SEC's territory and it would be wise for B1G to stop at VA and focus on the Northeast and the Midwest.

Once a conference takes UNC, they take the state.

Reaction Score

If you argue UConn vs UNC in a vacuum, then no, I don't see UConn as the better selection, but arguing in situ, then yes, I think there is a stronger case for UConn than UNC. And I don't think it's close.

Athletics is a push. UNC with an advantage and UConn closing.

Academics is the same as athletics.

Fan potential same as athletics and academics except that UConn has more of an upside and less competition.

Culture and geography. UConn hands down.

Negatives for UNC that UConn doesn't have. Making the case. UNC will fight tooth and nail to retain its relationship with Duke. Taking Duke with UNC leaves UVa and contiguous territory out. Bad geography. The SEC isn't poaching any UConn territory anytime soon. A long wait time for UNC because they don't want the B1G, resistence will be strong and difficult and time-consuming to overcome...if indeed possible to do so. I think UNC would rather join the SEC than the B1G...and it would be a better fit for them.

Reaction Score

I don't believe UNC is a cultural fit for the B1G. They are a southern school that's better for the SEC. B1G would be wise to focus on Midwest and the Northeast. It is a good long term investment. I really do believe outside UVA, UNC is really the only threat for UCONN to get into the B1G.

Reaction Score

I don't believe that for a minute, not even a New York one, if the conference in supposition is the B1G. NC State in the hands of the SEC would be a most formidable obstacle to a B1G based UNC's domination of North Carolina. In fact, I'd place money on NC State winning that contest. UNC in the SEC is a different story but that, of course, eliminates them from B1G membership. I simply can't see a risk/benefit analysis favoring a B1G incursion into North Carolina.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that for a minute, not even a New York one, if the conference in supposition is the B1G. NC State in the hands of the SEC would be a most formidable obstacle to a B1G based UNC's domination of North Carolina. In fact, I'd place money on NC State winning that contest. UNC in the SEC is a different story but that, of course, eliminates them from B1G membership. I simply can't see a risk/benefit analysis favoring a B1G incursion into North Carolina.

I mean, I'm shaking my head here. The popularity of UNC inside of NC is through the roof. NC State doesn't come close.

You are honestly putting your money down on NC State?

Are you also putting it down on Texas A&M over Texas because A&M is in the SEC?

Reaction Score
I mean, I'm shaking my head here. The popularity of UNC inside of NC is through the roof. NC State doesn't come close.

You are honestly putting your money down on NC State?

Are you also putting it down on Texas A&M over Texas because A&M is in the SEC?

Not "bet the farm" money, no. Money, sure, depending on the bet. Would I give 100:1? No. Would I take 100:1? Absolutely. Yes, I absolutely believe that an NC State playing in the SEC could outdraw a UNC playing in the B1G in football. The A&M/Texas analogy, I'm assuming, was included as a ludicrous throwaway. Nobody in college football is Texas. Nobody.

Reaction Score
Not "bet the farm" money, no. Money, sure, depending on the bet. Would I give 100:1? No. Would I take 100:1? Absolutely. Yes, I absolutely believe that an NC State playing in the SEC could outdraw a UNC playing in the B1G in football. The A&M/Texas analogy, I'm assuming, was included as a ludicrous throwaway. Nobody in college football is Texas. Nobody.

Who is UNC in college basketball?

Reaction Score
Who is UNC in college basketball?

I'm sure Kentucky can make a case. In the past 15 years nobody has more NCs than UConn. Basketball isn't football so I don't see the relevance of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom