The Players Will Have a Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Players Will Have a Vote

Reaction Score
No thank you. I don't care who a bunch of kids who quit against Holy ******* Cross want as their coach.

I hope a new coach comes in and prepares to win immediately without excuses. But the failure of UConn football right now is at all levels, players included.

Reaction Score
This may sound revolutionary, but it is not. One way or another the players will have a vote on UConn's hire. Either ratifying it by staying, grudgingly accepting it by staying ... for now, or heading to the portal ASAP.

The better alternative is to give them representation on the search committee. I would suggest the Captains.

Your comments?

Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
No thank you. I don't care who a bunch of kids who quit against Holy ******* Cross want as their coach.

I hope a new coach comes in and prepares to win immediately without excuses. But the failure of UConn football right now is at all levels, players included.
That’s my thought as well. If players want to leave after the season that is their right. After watching how some of them behaved during the game it will probably be best for everyone.

Reaction Score
There’s not a single player on this team that isn’t replaceable.

AD David Benedict has to earn his money here and find the right guy for the future of the program, not rely on the opinions of a handful of 20 year old kids that will be leaving soon anyway.

This hire is a lot bigger than the current roster. Would I like to minimize the roster turnover? Of course. But the right hire should be able to do that regardless of whether players have a say or not.

Reaction Score
This may sound revolutionary, but it is not. One way or another the players will have a vote on UConn's hire. Either ratifying it by staying, grudgingly accepting it by staying ... for now, or heading to the portal ASAP.

The better alternative is to give them representation on the search committee. I would suggest the Captains.

Your comments?

We’re talking about the same players that asked to take a year off and quit on Saturday.

If you ask me it’s time for another sequel of the purge.

And our starting QB wouldn’t start in Division 3.

Reaction Score
There’s not a single player on this team that isn’t replaceable.
No attack but you must have missed a few. I would and will pray Joe McFadden stays with the new staff. Flash backs of what Dave Teggart did for the program with the potential of possibly even more.

No hire is bringing in 3 and beyond star players to New England and that includes BC. For any new coach to get off to a decent start we need a good amount of roster retention. Randy dropped the ball but he did not leave the cupboard of Bobbie and Paul. ;)

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Happiest day of their college lives

Reaction Score
No attack but you must have missed a few. I would and will pray Joe McFadden stays with the new staff. Flash backs of what Dave Teggart did for the program with the potential of possibly even more.

No hire is bringing in 3 and beyond star players to New England and that includes BC. For any new coach to get off to a decent start we need a good amount of roster retention. Randy dropped the ball but he did not leave the cupboard of Bobbie and Paul. ;)
He’s been great so far. No doubt about that. The line you quoted was partially hyperbole on my part which I explained later in the post.

My point was that it’s the new coach’s job to keep the core intact, not the other way around. A good hire will be able to keep the guys that want to be at UConn. The guys that don’t will move on and that’s fine too.

Reaction Score
The players have a voice called the portal. If you’re not onboard, the train is leaving with or without you. We want players that are all in giving everything they have as a matter of pride and character, not a bunch of beauty contestant judges.

Reaction Score

Your comments?
Listening to went right or wrong with Edsall is one thing, dictating a hire is another.

Reaction Score
The players have a voice called the portal. If you’re not onboard, the train is leaving with or without you. We want players that are all in giving everything they have as a matter of pride and character, not a bunch of beauty contestant judges.
Yup, and what I am saying is that if UConn doesn't want to experience the Ross Perot proverbial rushing sound to the portal or the reconsideration tweet (on the part of next year's commits), the better option would be to give them another way to vote.

Reaction Score
My take is the players' representatives (captains, no more than two or three) should be part of the Search Committee's early discussions on traits, etc. desired in the head coach. That doesn't put the inmates in charge of the asylum but gives them the opportunity to share with the Selection Committee members what's important to the team.

Then, since the committee will surely use a search firm to allow themselves to cast blame elsewhere to some degree if the coach turns out to be a dud, they likely won't be interviewing more than the top three candidates the search firm believes meet the job's requirements and assuredly will take the job if offered. No one should reach this stage if there's any doubt they'll take the job, or the publicity over the way RE left will pale in comparison. So maybe there won't be three.......... :rolleyes:

I don't agree with those here who believe the players should vote on who to select. How many, if any, 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old kids have an understanding of the complexities of the job and can translate that into selecting the right candidate to manage a program? They know what they see in the locker room and on the sidelines but likely don't know all the other issues a head coach must manage. Plus, the reps will learn a great deal about what will be expected of the head coach during those early discussions and can bring that knowledge back to the team.

There could be a benefit to the reps sitting in on the interviews so they can see firsthand how the candidates respond to the committee's questions but I'm not sure we need to go that far.

Reaction Score

According to the 247 Composite, which takes into account their own proprietary rankings along with Rivals and ESPN, Boston College currently has (19) 3* and(2) 4* commits. Not saying it's easy, but a good recruiter like Hafley can bring 3* Players to New England. Get a young offensive minded coach that can connect to kids in 2021.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom