The Play Which Ended Chandler Whitmer's Season. | The Boneyard

The Play Which Ended Chandler Whitmer's Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think it deserves its own thread. Egads.

Reaction Score
It was the same trick play they used against UMASS. When they used it against UMASS we had a big lead and many wondered why burn a trick play in a game that had been decided, why not save that play for a later date. Well........ it sure looked like Cincy knew what was coming.

BTW Whitmer got drilled when they used it against UMASS too. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Reaction Score
It was the same trick play they used against UMASS. When they used it against UMASS we had a big lead and many wondered why burn a trick play in a game that had been decided, why not save that play for a later date. Well........ it sure looked like Cincy knew what was coming.

BTW Whitmer got drilled when they used it against UMASS too. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

This is the first thing I thought of. When they ran that play I have them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't complete idiots and there was some reason they put it on film. My bad.

Reaction Score
Nothing like putting your qb who just got demolished in another vulnerable position. Stupid play call

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That was coaching malpractice.

Forget all of the other signs of incompetence, that one play is enough.

Firable offense.

Reaction Score
Trick plays rarely work when you have to use trick personnel that the defense can identify. Good grief, even the announcers made a big deal out of Whitmer lining up at WR. Everyone on earth knew what was coming, some people on Mars too.

Reaction Score
That play would have worked better if it was 2nd and 10 with McCummings in....oh wait....nevermind.

Reaction Score
Trick plays rarely work when you have to use trick personnel that the defense can identify. Good grief, even the announcers made a big deal out of Whitmer lining up at WR. Everyone on earth knew what was coming, some people on Mars too.
Yes exactly I am in favor of them leaving whitmer in all wildcat plays to leave more possibilities than just the jet sweep read option

Reaction Score
Kind of like last week when they put McCummings in for the "Wildcat" at the begining of a TV time out. I feel bad for this kid...Let alone myself and the rest of the team.......

Reaction Score
Mentioned this in another thread. This play summed up the idioacy of the way Deleone is allowed to run the offense. This one play screams delusional. Warde should have to watch replays of this play every day that things stay the same, on the hour.

Reaction Score
This play was irresponsible. Sending the one week post-concussion, already bashed to the tune of a roughing the passer penalty QB--naked, no O-linemen or other protection--out to play WR. Irresponsible. John Silver tweeted that Whitmer blacked out after the "trick play" hit and didn't know that the Cincinnati coaches were holding him up.

Irresponsible coaching decision.

Reaction Score
Sending a small guy with limited speed and strength out on some napkin play after he's been knocked silly is irresponsible and just dumb. Chandler deserves better. We deserve better.

Reaction Score
That was coaching malpractice.

Forget all of the other signs of incompetence, that one play is enough.

They took a QB with a concussion last week, threw him a lateral in closed space with half the field cut off and wanted him to throw when everyone in their right mind knows that we wouldn't let McCummings throw if the coach was between letting him throw and each coach giving up their families and life savings. Frankly, it was not just stupid but irresponsible. We will be lucky if the head injury doesn't effect Whitmer's career going forward.

P can not hide behind GDL's skirt on this level of assinine stupidity

My apologies for not realizing someone had already said the same thing basically.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Irresponsible is calling an out pattern to the far sideline when the QB doesn't have the arm to make that pass. The play in question, under the very recent injury circumstance was out and out unconscionable. If something similar happened in every day life, there would be charges of criminal negligence.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They took a QB with a concussion last week, threw him a lateral in closed space with half the field cut off and wanted him to throw when everyone in their right mind knows that we wouldn't let McCummings throw if the coach was between letting him throw and each coach giving up their families and life savings. Frankly, it was not just stupid but irresponsible. We will be lucky if the head injury doesn't effect Whitmer's career going forward.

When I saw Whitmer wide, I could not believe they were going to do something like that there - I actually said, "this is a ten yard loss" before the snap. I was disgusted as the play was being run and then almost started to laugh when I saw the flag for grounding.

But when I saw the Cincy coaches holding up our player because he couldn't keep himself upright, I think I was about as angry as I've ever been over a sporting event. Worse than being a stupid call, it was blindingly irresponsible and it put a player's health at risk.

Reaction Score
I could not believe my eyes as that play unfolded, I said to my friend next to me, They are going to get him killed. Didn't understand the grounding call. Thanks for showing me a first. I think that "Coaching Malpractice" clearly is a good way to explain it, WTF is another way. What is Whitmer allowed 1 concussion a week?????????????? Hey GDL "way to protect your only real option at QB". WM time for a change, As NIKE says " Just Do It".

Reaction Score
"I wanted to give us the best chance to win".......PP

So he blows a redshirt on the freshman kicker........and plays a QB one week after a head injury.

Didn't we just loose a promising FB/LB because he had suffered too many concussions in HS/UConn?

I would not have cared if he started and played Johnny McEntee the entire game because (1) wouldn't jeopardize the health of a promising and improving QB (provided he could anticipate better pocket protection in the future years), (2) what would make him think a 6-6 UConn, rated in the bottom 10% of 120 of the FBS teams, would be chosed for a bowl game when there are probably 3 teams in the MAC more diserving.

And this play call was going to fool who? It was more anticipated than what would happen when Scott McCummings comes in to play wildcat QB. We know who is not going to throw the ball in that instance. Certainly no one expected Chandler to run 30 yards downfield to catch a pass from Scott.

STUPID is the kindest word I would choose to use for this display of incompetance! I exclude profanity from my vocabulary, otherwise there would be other adjectives and adverbs used to describe my feelings on this overall gameday preparation.

My thoughts and prayers are for Chandler. He and his family will have a tough decision to make concerning his future in football. The risk wasn't worth the effort. Just plain STUPID!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

So he blows a redshirt on the freshman kicker........and plays a QB one week after a head injury.

Didn't we just loose a promising FB/LB because he had suffered too many concussions in HS/UConn?

I would not have cared if he started and played Johnny McEntee the entire game because (1) wouldn't jeopardize the health of a promising and improving QB (provided he could anticipate better pocket protection in the future years), (2) what would make him think a 6-6 UConn, rated in the bottom 10% of 120 of the FBS teams, would be chosed for a bowl game when there are probably 3 teams in the MAC more diserving.

And this play call was going to fool who? It was more anticipated than what would happen when Scott McCummings comes in to play wildcat QB. We know who is not going to throw the ball in that instance. Certainly no one expected Chandler to run 30 yards downfield to catch a pass from Scott.

STUPID is the kindest word I would choose to use for this display of incompetance! I exclude profanity from my vocabulary, otherwise there would be other adjectives and adverbs used to describe my feelings on this overall gameday preparation.

My thoughts and prayers are for Chandler. He and his family will have a tough decision to make concerning his future in football. The risk wasn't worth the effort. Just plain STUPID!

I agree with what you said about Whitmer, etc, but UConn would have made a bowl because they were 6-6 and the Big East won't fill its bowl tie-ins because UConn is not bowl eligible. So either the Compass Bowl or O'Brady Bowl will get the pleasure of a MAC team instead of a BE team.

Reaction Score

Wait..did Puyol play yesterday? Really? I missed that

Reaction Score
Yeah, post game P said they will try to redshirt him next year since Christian is coming back. Dont know what the issue was with Chad Chritian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom