The Play Which Ended Chandler Whitmer's Season. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Play Which Ended Chandler Whitmer's Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, post game P said they will try to redshirt him next year since Christian is coming back. Dont know what the issue was with Chad Chritian.
He did get lit up on one of the kick off returns. See Ineptness, Coaching

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with playing Puyol when Christen couldn't go. We were 5-6 and chasing bowl eligibility, you can redshirt Puyol next year and if the young man goes through school in 4 years he's a kicker, not an OL. Making the case for getting rid of P requires a little discipline and not blaming him for everything short of the weather.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with playing Puyol when Christen couldn't go. We were 5-6 and chasing bowl eligibility, you can redshirt Puyol next year and if the young man goes through school in 4 years he's a kicker, not an OL. Making the case for getting rid of P requires a little discipline and not blaming him for everything short of the weather.

Umm not sure I did that. The case for getting rid of PP has nothing to do with Puyol. Not sure how you got that from my post

Reaction Score
Umm not sure I did that. The case for getting rid of PP has nothing to do with Puyol. Not sure how you got that from my post

P did absolutely the right think by taking his redshirt off and trying to win the game. There is nothing to criticize there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn won they were going to a bowl - the conference has the tie ins it doesn't matter if the MAC had better teams.

Reaction Score
P did absolutely the right think by taking his redshirt off and trying to win the game. There is nothing to criticize there.
Biz...Where did I criticize him for playing Puyol? The coaching ineptness I referred to was about kick coverage not using Bobby. Think you're misreading my post. Maybe we're all just really cranky

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That Puyol had to burn his redshirt in the last game of the season wasn't good. It was far from P's biggest error this season but there should have been a better plan in place before then asin football, an injury to a player is always a possibility.

When I heard about what was going on there (which had me a bit disappointed that they had to burn the redshirt) I heard another thing that actually had me furious at this staff (every time I think they couldn't anger me more they prove me wrong).

Reaction Score
Biz...Where did I criticize him for playing Puyol? The coaching ineptness I referred to was about kick coverage not using Bobby. Think you're misreading my post. Maybe we're all just really cranky

Responding to tduconn. Not you

Reaction Score
That Puyol had to burn his redshirt in the last game of the season wasn't good. It was far from P's biggest error this season but there should have been a better plan in place before then asin football, an injury to a player is always a possibility.

When I heard about what was going on there (which had me a bit disappointed that they had to burn the redshirt) I heard another thing that actually had me furious at this staff (every time I think they couldn't anger me more they prove me wrong).

FCF - But you still think it was an error?

More an unfortnate reality but not seeing it as an error... did he a choice? Wagner couldn't do it.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
FCF - But you still think it was an error?

More an unfortnate reality but not seeing it as an error... did he a choice? Wagner couldn't do it.
There is a bit more to it but briefly, being in a situation where there is insufficient time to determine whether burning a redshirt is a better alternative to someone else was the error. Part of the HC's responsibilities are to be sure he has all bases covered. There should have been a plan b, c & d in place from the middle of summer, he shouldn't be looking around not long before the final game of the season trying to determine his options.

Reaction Score
There is a bit more to it but briefly, being in a situation where there is insufficient time to determine whether burning a redshirt is a better alternative to someone else was the error. Part of the HC's responsibilities are to be sure he has all bases covered. There should have been a plan b, c & d in place from the middle of summer, he shouldn't be looking around not long before the final game of the season trying to determine his options.

He (PP) knew @ the beginning of the week and then discussed it with Puyol's parents. This wasn't a game time decision. Injuries happen. Not sure how many kickers you carry to prevent this... I don't see another option in this case but all ears.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
On one of the kickoffs, Puyol was in on the tackle (he is not a very large kid) and for a moment appeared to be a bit shaken up. What would plan c have been if he did get injured.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, on an issue that is more irritating than substantial (which I stated far earlier in this thread), especially with someone who is so deeply entrenched in P's camp as you seem to be but there could have been far more (not necessarily better) options available if three months ago P considered the possibility of a football player getting injured during the season.

Reaction Score
On one of the kickoffs, Puyol was in on the tackle (he is not a very large kid) and for a moment appeared to be a bit shaken up. What would plan c have been if he did get injured.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, on an issue that is more irritating than substantial (which I stated far earlier in this thread), especially with someone who is so deeply entrenched in P's camp as you seem to be but there could have been far more (not necessarily better) options available if three months ago P considered the possibility of a football player getting injured during the season.

Not entrenched... I would lose no sleep if he's gone tomorrow. Providing a counter argument doesn't always have to mean that there is an ulterior motive. There are at least two viewpoints. I wasn 't looking for a pissing match... just trying to figure out thought process.

Reaction Score

I really don't get where you're coming from here FCF. The backup plan was to take the redshirt of Puyol. Especially where redshirting next year doesn't look like an impossibility, why is that an unacceptable plan for your kicker? If they thought the walk-on Goodrich was almost as good a choice, they probably would have used him but they probably didn't.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but it was exactly the play that you would run if you were trying to have your QB taken out.

Reaction Score
Not to mention we lined Chandler up on the Cincy sideline right in front of their Coaches. Someone from Syracuse mentioned how Gdl likes to go short side of the field alot running and passing. The longer the season went on the more this stood out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does this mean Whitmer won't drive his small red moped to class on Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom