The Orville | The Boneyard

The Orville

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This show is not good. The humor falls flat. It just doesn't work.

Reaction Score
Doesn't he have that new future show coming to Fox?

I think dude is spreading himself a little thin

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Doesn't he have that new future show coming to Fox?

I think dude is spreading himself a little thin

This is it I think. It's like a comedy version of Star Trek TNG. But the jokes are mostly awful.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't quite given up on it yet. 3rd episode was...eye opening. I'm now convinced it's not even meant to be a comedy. It's more of straight up homage to Star Trek rather than a spoof. Of course it has a few jokes still, but most of the ep. was played really straight. Fairly heavy topic--an alien race that are all male, a female baby was born on the ship, and the ship's doctor refused to do a "corrective" surgery to change the baby's gender. Got into all kinds of stuff about cultural differences, tolerance and acceptance, gender rights, etc. etc.

Reaction Score
I haven't quite given up on it yet. 3rd episode was...eye opening. I'm now convinced it's not even meant to be a comedy. It's more of straight up homage to Star Trek rather than a spoof. Of course it has a few jokes still, but most of the ep. was played really straight. Fairly heavy topic--an alien race that are all male, a female baby was born on the ship, and the ship's doctor refused to do a "corrective" surgery to change the baby's gender. Got into all kinds of stuff about cultural differences, tolerance and acceptance, gender rights, etc. etc.

Sounds like lots of fun. Not.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's not one of those shows where I can't wait for the next episode, but I like it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Macfarlane should stick to cartoons and talking teddy bears.

And singing..he actually has a great voice. If you like your singers in the Sinatra vein, give him a listen.

I haven't seen the show yet, but the comment above about it being an homage to Star Trek is what he was aiming for. This isn't meant to be a comedy.

Reaction Score
Watched a couple of episodes. This show is unbelievably bad. Avoid.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Watched the first 8 episodes. Find it very entertaining. Family Guy like comedy (not a lot but some), but if you don't find Family Guy (or Ted or A Million Ways to Die in the West) type MacFarlane humor, you won't like the humor in it. Had me laughing out loud numerous times. But beyond that, pretty good also in covering (taking shots at) religion, single mothers, discipline, interracial dating (etc.), sanctity of life, celebrities, all kinds of stuff.

Reaction Score
I admit it. I kept watching. It’s not gut busting funny, it’s more or less slightly edgy comfort TV.

The episode with Rob Lowe was pretty good.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Watched the first 8 episodes. Find it very entertaining. Family Guy like comedy (not a lot but some), but if you don't find Family Guy (or Ted or A Million Ways to Die in the West) type MacFarlane humor, you won't like the humor in it. Had me laughing out loud numerous times. But beyond that, pretty good also in covering (taking shots at) religion, single mothers, discipline, interracial dating (etc.), sanctity of life, celebrities, all kinds of stuff.

The episode on social media “likes” was creative. I’m liking the show more and more.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Funny thing is, if the original Star Trek were a sequel to TNG, it would have been considered a parody.

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, if the original Star Trek were a sequel to TNG, it would have been considered a parody.

The Orville is more of a spiritual successor to Star Trek. In some ways it’s a pretty shrewd series in that I think Galaxy Quest showed that there was some pent up demand for this sort of thing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Orville is more of a spiritual successor to Star Trek. In some ways it’s a pretty shrewd series in that I think Galaxy Quest showed that there was some pent up demand for this sort of thing.
Galaxy Quest trod the line between mocking Star Trek, it's original cast and its fans and having its own storyline pretty well. Not the easiest thing to do well. I love the part where Allen is doing Shatneresque rolls and one of the other characters asks "does that help" and he replies "I think it does." Just a funny wink and nod to the original series.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody watching Season 2? The show has had an interesting evolution. Most of the season was dedicated to smaller, intimate plots with various crew members, not much stuff with alien races and pending disaster. A bit hit and miss but overall fairly interesting. Then near the end of the season it really swung for the fences w/ a huge imminent threat. Special effects the last 2 episodes have been pretty spectacular for a TV series.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anybody watching Season 2? The show has had an interesting evolution. Most of the season was dedicated to smaller, intimate plots with various crew members, not much stuff with alien races and pending disaster. A bit hit and miss but overall fairly interesting. Then near the end of the season it really swung for the fences w/ a huge imminent threat. Special effects the last 2 episodes have been pretty spectacular for a TV series.
I haven't. The Orville is a show that I want to like but just can't seem to warm up to.

Reaction Score

I am still watching. I still need to see Episode 2 of Identity.

It’s been kind of weird this season. But it is oddly engaging. At times it feels like a show from the ‘80s.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

It’s FX have been really really good for a TV show. I really enjoy it. The jokes are hit or miss but the humor is right up my alley. Scott Grimes’ helmsman is my favorite character.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Guest appearance by Leighton Meester tonight. I really like her. Alas she was only a simulation in the holodeck thingy (that's probably the Star Trek name for it but same idea).

Bortus and Clydon, those two. Sometimes it's pretty funny, sometimes it's just too much. Got some good chuckles out of them this time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Guest appearance by Leighton Meester tonight. I really like her. Alas she was only a simulation in the holodeck thingy (that's probably the Star Trek name for it but same idea).

Bortus and Clydon, those two. Sometimes it's pretty funny, sometimes it's just too much. Got some good chuckles out of them this time.

Sounds like a solid episode, but yeah, sometimes Bortus and Clydon is cringe worthy.

I’m still bummed they sent off one of the most beautiful women on TV (hidden as she was).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’m still bummed they sent off one of the most beautiful women on TV (hidden as she was).

Yeah, me too, but I've been enjoying her replacement. She stepped right into the role without a hitch.

Reaction Score
The Bortus and Clydon cigarette story was better than the fake 21st Century Woman one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom