The Orange will be brutal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Orange will be brutal

Reaction Score
They are going to kill us. Amazingly some of our fans still haven't figured out how horrendous we are.
Well, I think everyone has figured out how bad we are. The real debate is if we are seeing meaningful improvement, game to game. If some of the good things we did against URI ( especially at the end, on defense ) spill over to this game, we may actually look like a team deserving of the FBS label.

Reaction Score
As rough as the first portion of the season has been for our defense, I'm telling you that we have a decent shot at Syracuse. Do NOT be surprised if the defense comes out with new found life, and do NOT be surprised if the offense continues to deliver. And do NOT lose hope, Husky Nation...

...do NOT!!!
I feel you bro. Expect the unexpected... or even the unlikely. Gotta stay with the half full mindset.

Reaction Score
The best thing about taking all these asswhoopins is our thin gets thicker. The welts, the paddling to the naked butt cheeks, we become numb to them eventually. Pledge process in session. Eventually, we'll finally get it, because we want it that bad. I predict the 2nd half of this season will be a fun one for us.

Reaction Score
We will have trouble stopping them, but they have the 108th ranked defense so we should be able to do some things offensively. If they have to play their backup QB? Could be entertaining. Still expect a loss but shouldn't be a Boise-type blowout IMO.

Reaction Score
If we're competitive (like hold them to around 40 pts competitive) I'll be content. At least our D will have made some progress.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll pass along what I'm having. I've got a fever, and the only cure... is more UConn.

They said you can't hit a full length of the court shot with one second left. They said a 1-AA team couldn't grow in one decade to beat Notre Dame, South Carolina, and West Virginia. They said they couldn't get a program like Michigan to visit The Rent.

Do you honestly think I'm bothered by people saying we can't beat Syracuse??? I've seen too much UConn to be scared...

The bad news: 12-0 is off the table.
The good news: 10-2 is a LOCK.

Reaction Score
As rough as the first portion of the season has been for our defense, I'm telling you that we have a decent shot at Syracuse. Do NOT be surprised if the defense comes out with new found life, and do NOT be surprised if the offense continues to deliver. And do NOT lose hope, Husky Nation...

...do NOT!!!
Could happen. An earlier interception and on the last series of the game two sacks which saved the game. Attitude.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this is a game UConn can win, but it can be at least respectable if Edsall takes the cuffs off the offense. Cuse's D is no great shakes. It looked good against an all time bad FSU Offense. The reality is they are a unit whose job is to slow teams down just enough so their offense can out score you. UConn can score on this team. I don't have any confidence they can slow the scoring against them however. I see something like 52-31 in a track meet.

Reaction Score
Conversely, it looked Rhode Island sent quite a few and UMass will likely follow suit.

Amhest (MA) is closer to the Rent than it is to Boston, plus there are enough kids from CT and MA who pick UMass over UConn (or vice versa) to give reasons to go visit some friends for tailgating. you know, like how college football used to be. URI is similar (PS - there are a lot of kids from NJ who go to URI surprisingly) and while URI has an impressive football team this year, their stadium still stinks and thus a 'cool' factor to check out an FBS Stadium and tailgate at one.

Reaction Score
What I'd like to see:

1. Good offensive production which includes an RB ground game.
2. A Defense that at least loads the box and stops the run and starts pressuring the online.
3. A few DBs turning their heads and looking for the ball before being beat
4. A few DBs coming up to the line, contesting the receivers and not starting with 10 yard cushions and back pedaling on snap.
4. Some players making some serious contact instead of touch and grab football.

I expect we will be utterly destroyed, but at least exact some pain and punishment.

Reaction Score
Not sure why we should fear the Orange any more than UCF or Boise St. Eventually after you get your ass handed to you.. you stop fearing it. To quote Tony Montana .. There's nothing you can do to me that Castro has not already done. And his brother is a hall of famer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like our offense can keep us close for a while in this game. Yeah 'Cuse should pretty much score at will, but really who wouldn't? The key here is whether the 'Cuse defense is bad enough to let us score with them. I doubt that we are looking at another UCF/Boise level disaster. I actually think we could steal this one if we get a couple of breaks and don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter who starts at qb for Syracuse, I hate to say it. I have watched college football for a long time, this could be the worst defense I have ever seen.

We need to be realistic here. We have a shot against the bottom barrel teams of the aac. Not Syracuse.

Incremental improvement. That’s what I want to see. Offense has given me hope for future, defense hasn’t shown much. I want to see a few defenders stand out Saturday.

Reaction Score
If anyone needs any proof that sports are cyclical, it wasn't that long ago that Syracuse was our sure-thing cupcake win on the schedule. Now we're theirs. But yeah, our defense is going to struggle very mightily on Saturday. Syracuse will be able to name their score. Just hope the guys - players and coaches - don't quit.

This is not an argument or malice in any shape or form just a difference of opinion on your opening statement. :)
Sports can be cyclical with all things being equal. Yes we beat Cuse a couple of times at home but the last meeting in "12" was a 40 - 10 loss up there.
We no longer have the same conference or TV package ($$$) as recruiting tools. Randy has openly stated recruiting is more difficult with players stating I will take your offer if I do not get a P5 offer.
I really honestly hope your cyclical theory holds more water than my reality one...;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is not an argument or malice in any shape or form just a difference of opinion on your opening statement. :)
Sports can be cyclical with all things being equal. Yes we beat Cuse a couple of times at home but the last meeting in "12" was a 40 - 10 loss up there.
We no longer have the same conference or TV package ($$$) as recruiting tools. Randy has openly stated recruiting is more difficult with players stating I will take your offer if I do not get a P5 offer.
I really honestly hope your cyclical theory holds more water than my reality one...;)

Totally fair. We're definitely not competing with the same resources that our traditional geographic foes are competing with. I guess that's why our traditional geographic foes have been blackballing us since they all scurried aboard their life rafts. They didn't like being leapfrogged so quickly.

I do think we'll be competitive again in the AAC. But it will take time. Probably a very long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom