The Olivia Nelson-Ododa Blog | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Olivia Nelson-Ododa Blog

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My recommendation resulted in your wasting 12 hrs. My work here is done. :)
Yeah, it was you. You, you, you Prince. Usually I go for these existential shows like Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead or Westworld, or that subtle drawing room social drama with violent and fantastical elements like Game Of Thrones. Generally not anti-hero criminal, social comedies like Sneaky Pete. But it really drew on the Breaking Bad template that I loved so I fell in to it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was you. You, you, you Prince. Usually I go for these existential shows like Mr. Robot, The Walking Dead or Westworld, or that subtle drawing room social drama with violent and fantastical elements like Game Of Thrones. Generally not anti-hero criminal, social comedies like Sneaky Pete. But it really drew on the Breaking Bad template that I loved so I fell in to it.
I agree. And of course Bryan Cranston was writer, producer, and co-star. I thought he was actually the best person in it.

A lot of these shows work best the first season and then sort of fade out. For the life of me, I can't get into the 2nd season of Man from High Castle or the 3rd season of the Fall. I love looking for one season wonders from the 90s and 00s. My fav (I can't find it any longer) is--wait for this!--an Irish hit man going through a sex change who is raising the children by a now dead former lover while he was still a man. Just one season, but amazing.

I'm thinking this is what they call "thread drift", huh?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree. And of course Bryan Cranston was writer, producer, and co-star. I thought he was actually the best person in it.

A lot of these shows work best the first season and then sort of fade out. For the life of me, I can't get into the 2nd season of Man from High Castle or the 3rd season of the Fall. I love looking for one season wonders from the 90s and 00s. My fav (I can't find it any longer) is--wait for this!--an Irish hit man going through a sex change who is raising the children by a now dead former lover while he was still a man. Just one season, but amazing.

I'm thinking this is what they call "thread drift", huh?
At first I thought you were talking at the end there about Transparent. Yeah, it's a drift thread, and if anyone doesn't like nuts to them. An I mean nuts.

The Walking Dead and GOT remain my faves. I just can't get over how in TWD the characters on a minute by minute basis have to redefine their notions of family, society, what it means to be human, what it means to be humane, what is government and death; how with the absence of any number of these can the rest of these things still exist or have meaning. Also how every decision no matter how small can be fatal for any of these concepts. Or your life. Most of us just can't survive having to make these constant adjustments, all with this encroaching sense of dread and fear that informs a world gone sideways.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. One problem though. Along with returning players and previous commits, I think that totals 16 players on scholarship for 2018-19, or one more than the limit.

Maybe one or two are so scared to be on that crime-ridden campus that they are planning on leaving.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That scholarship limit thing has ever stopped Baylor before.:D

Nor will it ever.

I would not be surprised to see Gulley end up in a position with the team other than scholarship player. After all of her injuries I doubt that she will ever get any meaningful playing time so I could also see her transferring. I can also see Dry in a similar position. However, her grandfather is well connected at Baylor so that could be a factor in her favor.

Reaction Score
At first I thought you were talking at the end there about Transparent. Yeah, it's a drift thread, and if anyone doesn't like nuts to them. An I mean nuts.

The Walking Dead and GOT remain my faves. I just can't get over how in TWD the characters on a minute by minute basis have to redefine their notions of family, society, what it means to be human, what it means to be humane, what is government and death; how with the absence of any number of these can the rest of these things still exist or have meaning. Also how every decision no matter how small can be fatal for any of these concepts. Or your life. Most of us just can't survive having to make these constant adjustments, all with this encroaching sense of dread and fear that informs a world gone sideways.
wow, Jordy. you ought to be writing this stuff: you're good!

JordyG

Reaction Score
wow, Jordy. you ought to be writing this stuff: you're good!
Thanks. But the guys who write that stuff make my head swim. People see TWD as just another zombie show, but the brilliant suckers who created this thing always saw that as a glamour, a thin shell. Where Westworld wants to investigate the physical nature of the mind and how it perceives reality, TWD at its core is about looking into and exploring that interior self.

GOT is of course different. That's about power. Based on the War Of The Roses, early on Martin gave his basic conceits. Knowledge is power, power is where men perceive it to be, and power is power. If you are not flexible enough to wield any and all three at any time your head will literally roll across the floor. Those who are ignorant to the pursuit of power by these ruling families are no less affected by it. They more than likely are crushed under its wheel. Since at its heart GOT is a drawing room drama the conversations and confrontations are magical. Each character is motivated by their own lives, desires and circumstances, and there are lots of characters making the storylines multilayered. The fantastical elements then become part of its many layers, but this is not its core element. What is at its core are the strong personalities, most of them women, their stories, families, and personal histories. Sorry, I'm such a fan boy.

Reaction Score
Glad she had the surgery to repair. Letting it heal on it's own can leave it unstable and susceptible to more dislocations and cartilage damage. Good to get it fixed now for her future. This kid has real talent. And I wonder if the coach who's had multiple surgeries and encouraged her might be Shea Ralph.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect the coach she refers to who dealt with multiple surgeries is Shea. And she got her brackets wrong as ND and Stanford cannot both make the final four

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suspect the coach she refers to who dealt with multiple surgeries is Shea. And she got her brackets wrong as ND and Stanford cannot both make the final four
There's probably only 1 bracket that ONO really cares about. ;)

Reaction Score

She said in her first blog that she thought it was neat that the FSU coach wanted to compare pictures of their dogs. Imagine Shea and her comparing knee scars! Imagine, given the advances in surgery techniques over the years, that Shea's scar is a heck more "impressive."

Also, I'm glad she's into dogs and not a "cat person." And that she has a lab, pit bull and german shep. If she said she had a poodle or other lap dog I think I would be equally worried too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom