The officiating | The Boneyard

The officiating

Reaction Score
has been so bad. I don't think it could've gotten any worse since the UConn Cincy game that happened last weekend but wow. The Northwestern call was ridiculous and all these stupid ticky tack fouls that are slowing the game down and forcing us into 2,000 media timeouts a game. I couldn't get past the fact that West Virginia's reputation of hardcore defense prevents them from getting many foul calls where as ND got so many cotton candy calls. I'm tired of this garbage.

Good morning though!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will agree that the UConn/Cincinnati game was not a well officiated game. The ND/WVU game was fine. If Notre Dame wants to get called for fewer fouls, they should move their feet on defense.

I have covered it elsewhere about the Northwestern/Gonzaga call. The refs missed the basket interference. The refs miss calls all the time. You move on. The technical was long overdue. Collins had been screaming at the refs and coming out on the court all game long, and his players had been barking at the refs most of the game too. I have seen Calhoun sent packing for much less than what Collins was doing. Collins was an embarrassment to the university and college basketball, and then he kept it up after the game. Enough is enough.

It was a bad call, but the drama around the call is worse. Northwestern was probably going to lose that game anyway, yet a day later the call is still a lead story on espn.com. There are bad calls all the time. It is part of basketball, but I do not recall ESPN carrying on like this for a single missed call with 5 minutes left in the game where one of the teams lost by 6 points. I could almost see if one of the Northwestern players picked up his 4th or 5th foul, but it wasn't even a foul call. Yet here ESPN is, with 6 videos up on their website complaining about the call. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that ESPN will pay the Big 10 $190 million a year over the next 6 years, could it?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Northwestern lost a bucket, but Collins was on the edge of a technical foul for most of the game - if anything lose them the game, it was Collins' lack of self-control.

I saw the Notre Dame game - they deserved what they got. West Virginia was too quick and athletic and Notre Dame was grabbing jerseys from the gun.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nova v. Wisco refs were much worse. College basketball refs in general aren't as good as NBA refs the same way college players are as good as NBA players

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nova v. Wisco refs were much worse. College basketball refs in general aren't as good as NBA refs the same way college players are as good as NBA players

Refs miss calls and a lot of it is judgment anyway. All I ask for is that the ref calls it the same on both ends.

Purdue/Iowa State was a very well officiated game. I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you are going to see a problem with the refs today, it will be in Cincinnati/UCLA , Wichita State/Kentucky and/or Rhode Island/Oregon. I expect the other 5 games to be fine. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
....and if the Refs called the NC charge leading up to their last score the ACC would be done.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Northwestern lost a bucket, but Collins was on the edge of a technical foul for most of the game - if anything lose them the game, it was Collins' lack of self-control.

Obviously the tech killed them. But that missed call was HUGE at the time. And the real travesty is that it was so easy to see. The guys hand was a foot through the hoop, and hit net all the way up.

Reaction Score
I get it that refs get tired of coaches screaming at them, and coming on the court is a no-no (though it happens in every game and isn't called) but this loss wasn't on Collins. After fighting back from 20 down he was right in protesting such an open and obvious blunder--not a judgment call--that cost his team points. This wasn't "did he have his feet set for that offensive foul call" it was indisputable. The refs blew it--twice. NCAA should institute a one challenge rule per half. If the coach sees an obvious blunder by refs he immediately signals time out. They check the monitor. If wrong, team loses an additional time out. If right they get the bad call reversed and keep their time out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The problem with a challenge in hoops is there's no natural stoppage most of the time. If you think a guy traveled on his way to the hoop do you just throw a flag and the game stops. You could use it to question nonsense as a team races down on a fast break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom