The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of the New York Yankees - 2021

Reaction Score
So with it looking like Britton may be done for the year....and Chapman is awful...what do they do for a closer?

I know during the season bullpen by committee might work....does anyone feel comfortable going into the post season with that approach? Do they start developing another closer? Green? Loaisiga?

I don't know how you fix Chapman...but they really need to get him on track.
I'm guessing he keeps Chapman in the primary role, but maybe doesn't use him in back-to-back games. Boone seems comfortable with Green closing out games and he seems to use Loisaga as "fireman", bringing him in in clutch situation where they need a shutdown inning. It's not hurting them right now, but I don't love the premise of going into the playoffs without a lock down ninth inning guy. Really makes you realize how spoiled we were with Mariano for all those years.

On a related note, gotta give kudos to Brian Cashman for the Wandy Peralta trade. When it went down, many, myself included, questioned why you trade a serviceable outfielder for another bullpen piece. Especially after Tauchman got off to a hot start with SF and the Yankees were losing outfielders on the daily. Fast forward a month or two and Tauchman is injured and was struggling before that and Peralta is pitching meaningful innings for NY.

Reaction Score
So with it looking like Britton may be done for the year....and Chapman is awful...what do they do for a closer?

I know during the season bullpen by committee might work....does anyone feel comfortable going into the post season with that approach? Do they start developing another closer? Green? Loaisiga?

I don't know how you fix Chapman...but they really need to get him on track.

My choice Loaisiga. An enigma he's not the best closer as it is his stuff is so good. But he's easily the one who gets more swings and misses. I do believe they need to be sure of this if they are to make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I bought my tickets to see the Yankees @ Oakland for Saturday afternoon. If the Yankees winning streak continues, expect it to end on Saturday as I have historically been bad luck for teams when I watch them in person. When the UConn WBB team had that tremendous streak with only one loss at Stanford, I was at that game ;-).

Reaction Score
I bought my tickets to see the Yankees @ Oakland for Saturday afternoon. If the Yankees winning streak continues, expect it to end on Saturday as I have historically been bad luck for teams when I watch them in person. When the UConn WBB team had that tremendous streak with only one loss at Stanford, I was at that game ;-).

If they get to 13 in a row I hope you get a 24 hour bug Saturday ;)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
u got tix for the stadium to see our yanks play oakland, in late august, with both teams in the thick of the hunt for a spot in the postseason? a playoff atmosphere game and ur worried aboot ....anything?
sounds like fun to me, whatever happens. mebbe u'll see a play like that jeter flip to get the guy at the plate for oakland.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm guessing he keeps Chapman in the primary role, but maybe doesn't use him in back-to-back games. Boone seems comfortable with Green closing out games and he seems to use Loisaga as "fireman", bringing him in in clutch situation where they need a shutdown inning. It's not hurting them right now, but I don't love the premise of going into the playoffs without a lock down ninth inning guy. Really makes you realize how spoiled we were with Mariano for all those years.

On a related note, gotta give kudos to Brian Cashman for the Wandy Peralta trade. When it went down, many, myself included, questioned why you trade a serviceable outfielder for another bullpen piece. Especially after Tauchman got off to a hot start with SF and the Yankees were losing outfielders on the daily. Fast forward a month or two and Tauchman is injured and was struggling before that and Peralta is pitching meaningful innings for NY.
I agree on Peralta. I thought it was a bad deal also. I was a Tauchman fan.

Reaction Score
If they get to 13 in a row I hope you get a 24 hour bug Saturday ;)
I can't say my bad luck has been 100%. I was at the game in the video below. It was that magical 1998 season. By the time the Yankees came to Oakland, they had been on a major roll where it felt like they were scoring double digits every game. They finally ran into Kenny Rogers who seemed to have their number and I thought it was just my luck to catch the loss amongst all those wins. Then in the 9th, with the Yankees down big, they put together a couple of singles and an error to load the bases and Joe Torre sent up Darryl Strawberry to pinch hit.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
u got tix for the stadium to see our yanks play oakland, in late august, with both teams in the thick of the hunt for a spot in the postseason? a playoff atmosphere game and ur worried aboot ....anything?
sounds like fun to me, whatever happens. mebbe u'll see a play like that jeter flip to get the guy at the plate for oakland.

oops, should have said 'coliseum.' just remembering back to days of sf living, and heading over to the east bay to watch yanks and a's. whatever.
yanks win again, chapman gets number 300. im pretty sure that between some normal wear and tear aging stuff, and his dance with the bug, his ability to get his body to do what his brain tells it was a bit kerfuffled. plenty of time for him to get his groove back.
'what if they never lose another game this decade? century?'
still true. lol.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey billy! hope u enjoyed the game! jk.
can't win them all. just most of them. lol.
ugh, another prediction gone to dust;
'what if they never lose another game this decade? century?'

i still would have rather joined you at the game than anything that i did yesterday. garuntee.
fun fact. i did drop off to a neighbor a perfect 6 1/2+ foot snake skin shed that i found recently in the wood pile. they seem at times to think my tales from the wood are a bit tall. no more. freaked them out. noice.
'u should see the 8'+ one that we saw last year.'

Reaction Score
Well, I did try to warn you lol. The good news is that this was the last game this season that I plan to attend in person, so maybe all is not yet lost.
download.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
a good team, in a playoff race, the a's average 8900 a game, sooo, that pic sez it all. turrible.
on the udder hand, the rangers are 32 back, yet average 27,000. 'nuff said,

Reaction Score
Real good teams don’t lose 4 in a row after winning 13 especially when 2 of those include the Angels. Hence why I never got too high they’re just not that good. Thank God the Sox suck too or this would be ugly again right now. When they win those 13 the hope was to win the division to stay away from the dreaded one game playoff. Well all you can do now is hope for that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Real good teams don’t lose 4 in a row after winning 13 especially when 2 of those include the Angels. Hence why I never got too high they’re just not that good. Thank God the Sox suck too or this would be ugly again right now. When they win those 13 the hope was to win the division to stay away from the dreaded one game playoff. Well all you can do now is hope for that.
'Real good teams don’t lose 4 in a row '
fail.
and the funniest part of that brilliant observation, is exactly against who, and when, they did it. spooky.
1998 New York Yankees baseball Game-by-Game Results on StatsCrew.com

all i care aboot recently is that klubot is back, and lookin good to get jiggy with it. gio got a hit, too. noice.

“Felt good to get back out there. It was a long process to get to this point,” Kluber said.

ur in the wrong thread. the miserables are a few doors down. ya can't miss it, just look for the orange headed baseball mascot. and that delicious skyline chili. lol.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It's hard to have confidence in this team. They have one and a half reliable starters. They don't have a closer. And the hitters are streaky.

Unless everything is clicking....they can't beat the good teams with those weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Catching the Rays was never gonna happen, they are consistently good.

Reaction Score
'Real good teams don’t lose 4 in a row '
fail.
and the funniest part of that brilliant observation, is exactly against who, and when, they did it. spooky.
1998 New York Yankees baseball Game-by-Game Results on StatsCrew.com

all i care aboot recently is that klubot is back, and lookin good to get jiggy with it. gio got a hit, too. noice.

“Felt good to get back out there. It was a long process to get to this point,” Kluber said.

ur in the wrong thread. the miserables are a few doors down. ya can't miss it, just look for the orange headed baseball mascot. and that delicious skyline chili. lol.

Funny part is you believe they are good when the obvious always strikes back at you. They are ok at best. I have been a fan longer than you, back when they really sucked was when I started so please don't try to tell me about heading to the Mets. I'm in the wrong thread? coming from you hilarious. You only show up when they win go back to your hole and wait for that one game series. The real good teams aren't playing in that game!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Funny part is you believe they are good when the obvious always strikes back at you. They are ok at best. I have been a fan longer than you, back when they really sucked was when I started so please don't try to tell me about heading to the Mets. I'm in the wrong thread? coming from you hilarious. You only show up when they win go back to your hole and wait for that one game series. The real good teams aren't playing in that game!
yanks win again. cole 15 k's. leads mlb.
ur really losin it man. i made the last post after their 4th loss in a row.
i well recall 2 seasons ago when you lost it in the summer, and then the team went on to have a pretty good year.
this is a good year. mebbe we'll win another 13 in a row.

Reaction Score
yanks win again. cole 15 k's. leads mlb.
ur really losin it man. i made the last post after their 4th loss in a row.
i well recall 2 seasons ago when you lost it in the summer, and then the team went on to have a pretty good year.
this is a good year. mebbe we'll win another 13 in a row.

Pretty good year? They’ve had plenty what’s the ultimate goa cliffy? They don’t have a team put together that can win a series Versus a good team. They “win again” lol of course they did Cole is Superman. He may be Superman again in the one game series then he’s lucky to pitch once in the best of 5. I respect your belief and hope you’re right. Just don’t see it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Pretty good year? They’ve had plenty what’s the ultimate goa cliffy? They don’t have a team put together that can win a series Versus a good team. They “win again” lol of course they did Cole is Superman. He may be Superman again in the one game series then he’s lucky to pitch once in the best of 5. I respect your belief and hope you’re right. Just don’t see it.
We have won the H2H series against every division leader we have played this year (A's, Astros, Braves and White Sox) except the Rays. And if we sweep the Rays the final series of the year we take that H2H series too. Our problem hasn't been beating the good teams, it's been losing to teams we should be pounding - like the Angles.

Edit: A's aren't a division leader but they are in the WC hunt and on pace to be a 90 win team.

Reaction Score
We have won the H2H series against every division leader we have played this year (A's, Astros, Braves and White Sox) except the Rays. And if we sweep the Rays the final series of the year we take that H2H series too. Our problem hasn't been beating the good teams, it's been losing to teams we should be pounding - like the Angles.

Edit: A's aren't a division leader but they are in the WC hunt and on pace to be a 90 win team.

We also lost series to all of them when the Yanke weren't streaking. I'm rooting for them, they're better with Rizzo and even the .200 hitting Gallo. Judge and Stanton both playing well hope they keep it up. But the magic for 13 games with the Bronx kid and other catchers besides the light hitting Sanchez could also go away. Torres isn't necessarily a welcome back guy either right unless he comes back as the 2019 guy eventually. Not even close to as good a SS as the kid defensively. Will be interesting but needing to get to the series with Cole winning puts the pressure on Monty, Tailon maybe Kluber and Cortes as well as what has been a shaky at best bullpen. Fun year again but team is not designed to win a big series and hasn't been . Lots to prove by Cashman and Boone.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
They’ve had plenty what’s the ultimate goa cliffy?
That's the question....what is success this year? To me...anything less than making the world series is a disappointment. And it doesn't feel like this team is built to win division series against top AL teams.

Hopefully...they enter the playoffs hot with Stanton and judge hitting well. But....it's just as likely that they are cold....and good pitching by top contenders can make good hitters go cold.

But....I do feel like they are competing and I have to give Boone some credit for keeping the team motivated

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom