The Official Thread of The Boston Red Sox - 2022 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The Boston Red Sox - 2022

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Dombrowski tried several times to sign him and then pivoted to giving extensions to Bogaerts and Sale after being rebuffed several times.
That’s why I can’t take any notion seriously that Sox ownership didnt try to keep Mookie here.

Well none of us knows exactly what happened but according to Betts they offered $300M, which was too low -- the Dodgers got him for $365M.

Looking back, Betts has long maintained that he never had a problem playing in Boston.

So, if the Red Sox had offered a similar contract to the one that he eventually signed in Los Angeles — a 12-year, $365 million extension — would Betts have actually stayed?

The answer, according to a recent Betts interview with Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe, is simple.

“Absolutely, I just didn’t get it,” Betts told Gasper. “That’s the argument. I didn’t get it, so that’s why I am where I am.”

When have the Red Sox ever let their best player walk because they couldn't afford him?

It seemed pretty clear to me that the Sox unloaded him because of this:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well they did it. They extended Devers! All it took was booing John Henry at the Winter Classic.

Reaction Score
Well they did it. They extended Devers! All it took was booing John Henry at the Winter Classic.

I mean, he's not a particularly elite (or very good) defensive 3B, but his (LH) bat should play well over the length of the deal given the shift is going away. I can see him anchoring the middle of the lineup as a 1B/DH type over the back half of that contract. Hell, they didn't include any opt-outs or issue a NTC, which would make him easy enough to move on should they decide to do that as well.

Reaction Score
No opt outs and no no trade is great. The fact that it starts now and ends after his age 36 season is even better.
Great contract especially considering what the market has been paying guys thru their age 40 or 41 season.

sun

Reaction Score
That's as bad a news could get for the Sox. No idea how they solve this.
There's some free agents SS available at the bottom of this list or they can trade with a team that signed a FA SS and has a spare.
Yu-Cheng Chang played SS with Boston last year & he's on the FA list.
Jose Iglesias gets mentioned a lot as being available along with Elvis Andrus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whatever you do, dont trade any prospects and trade useful vets at the deadline for prospects and stay under the first threshold to reset.
And even though he won’t come east probably, make a monster offer to Ohtani in the off-season.
More than any big market team, the Red Sox are in as good position as anyone to absorb the contract it will require.
Oh. And if Casas and Bello have a solid first full season in the bigs try to lock them up ala the Braves and Rays.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whatever you do, dont trade any prospects and trade useful vets at the deadline for prospects and stay under the first threshold to reset.
And even though he won’t come east probably, make a monster offer to Ohtani in the off-season.
More than any big market team, the Red Sox are in as good position as anyone to absorb the contract it will require.
Oh. And if Casas and Bello have a solid first full season in the bigs try to lock them up ala the Braves and Rays.
They should have just folded and traded Martinez, Eovaldi and Bogaerts last year. Then they might have more of the pieces they need now. The stupid fanbase simply won't let them be smart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom