The Official Sox Fans Crying About Injuries Thread | The Boneyard

The Official Sox Fans Crying About Injuries Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Face it. The pitching staff isn't good enough to tread water in that division and the clubhouse problems from last year haven't been fixed. Injuries are a convenient (and whiny) excuse.

Reaction Score
Face it. The pitching staff isn't good enough to tread water in that division and the clubhouse problems from last year haven't been fixed. Injuries are a convenient (and whiny) excuse.
You look at the starting rotation and it looks good on paper but I have to agree with you: they haven't been competitive with the Yankees and Rays.The back end of the rotation has been good but it is the starters expected to be good who have been terrible.
The injuries are real and no team has had more in the last few years. The whole damn outfield is missing along with their projected closer and Pedroia may as well be on the DL. The replacement players have been fine but at some point their real skill level will show itself and the Sox will have problems scoring runs. The Sox still have enough talent to put on a winning streak but it is doubtful that they have the team to sustain it. Still, put as many injuries on any AL east team and they would be having similar problems.

Reaction Score
cmon Danzz noone in years? Ellsbury is the only one you can whine about....the others have played as well if not better than who they have replaced. Pedroia is the only guy playing hurt too?
You started out good and then needed the cheese and crackers....;)

Reaction Score
I love it, Mau. Danzz's post is the epitome of why I (mockingly) started this thread. Then, one paragraph in, he's doing just that! Ha! Whiny .

Reaction Score
I love it, Mau. Danzz's post is the epitome of why I (mockingly) started this thread. Then, one paragraph in, he's doing just that! Ha! Whiny .
Give a Mets fan I good part of season out of 20 and they get cocky.Enjoy it now because your weak hitting group of wussies won't be in the playoffs either.
BTW, I'm not whining, injuries are part of the game but they are a factor. Would the Sox be in first place without the injuries? Hell no, the starting pitching hasn't been good enough.

Reaction Score
Per Joel Sherman's sunday article in the NY Post, Boston is tied for first with most DL stints in the majors with 18 and is first overall with most days lost due to injury with 801.

Sorry to interject facts into your thread.

Reaction Score
cmon Danzz noone in years? Ellsbury is the only one you can whine about....the others have played as well if not better than who they have replaced. Pedroia is the only guy playing hurt too?
You started out good and then needed the cheese and crackers....;)
I decided to like your post as a thank you for reminding me that the 2010 Sox may have had more.

Reaction Score
Per Joel Sherman's sunday article in the NY Post, Boston is tied for first with most DL stints in the majors with 18 and is first overall with most days lost due to injury with 801.

Sorry to interject facts into your thread.

Do you want to interject the real facts or do you want to whine? Erik the Red would be disappointed.........anyway how good was Crawford last year? Nava and Sweeney have been better.........prove me otherwise okay. Youks playing, Papi's a new man, Pedroia's playing, Aviles is your choice at SS, Middlebrooks is the next best thing, Saltman is your batterymate.....explain to me where the problem is??? A few bench players and pitchers?

Ever hear of Mariano Rivera, Michael Pineda, Dave Robertson.....may be a little more impact than you can throw it there yet there's no whining in the Bronx!!! Maybe give Ben Cherington a call huh?:)

7554642-wine-composition.jpg

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
... A few bench players and pitchers?
Ever hear of Mariano Rivera...
Which is what I was wondering. How many first ballot Hall of Fame pitchers are on the Red Sox roster, let alone their DL? Much ado about very little. The problem isn't who is on the DL, it's who is on the active roster (as well as who was hired to run the team, who runs the organization, and, well, the expectations of the fans). You should be happy Beckett isn't around to sow discord and contempt for the organization.

Reaction Score
I figured it was a 85-88 win team at the beginning of the season. With the injuries it's now a .500 or slightly below team, but the reality is that they weren't that good to begin with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Met fans know the right way to handle their injured players, boo them off the field.

Reaction Score
Bah. The Mets are winning with an outfield of Scott Hairston, Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Lucas Duda. Ike Davis is slumping. Omar Quintanilla is their every day SS right now. The bull pen has no stars in it.

They have solid starting pitching and the team plays hard for Collins. The manager is getting the most of his roster.

Reaction Score
Dickey had the best stuff of any pitcher I have seen this year in his start vs. Tampa. His knuckler was magic, the nastiest I have ever seen.

Baseball is a crazy, Tampa gives up 29 runs in 3 games vs the Mets. Then pitches a one hitter and two hitter vs Miami. Meanwhile Cincy shuts down the Mets holding them to 5 runs in 3 games.

I hope the Mojo the Mets had vs TB returns over the next 6 vs. Baltimore and the Yanks.

That Nieuwenhuis looks like a very good player and if Ike Davis starts to hit the Met will have a very solid lineup.

Reaction Score
Dickey had the best stuff of any pitcher I have seen this year in his start vs. Tampa. His knuckler was magic, the nastiest I have ever seen.

Baseball is a crazy, Tampa gives up 29 runs in 3 games vs the Mets. Then pitches a one hitter and two hitter vs Miami. Meanwhile Cincy shuts down the Mets holding them to 5 runs in 3 games.

I hope the Mojo the Mets had vs TB returns over the next 6 vs. Baltimore and the Yanks.

That Nieuwenhuis looks like a very good player and if Ike Davis starts to hit the Met will have a very solid lineup.
You should have seen Strasberg against the Sox. He was absolutely nasty with pinpoint control.

Reaction Score
You should have seen Strasberg against the Sox. He was absolutely nasty with pinpoint control.

Tampa has Strasburg wed night. BJ will will have a golden sombrero for sure.

Reaction Score
Do you want to interject the real facts or do you want to whine? Erik the Red would be disappointed.........anyway how good was Crawford last year? Nava and Sweeney have been better.........prove me otherwise okay. Youks playing, Papi's a new man, Pedroia's playing, Aviles is your choice at SS, Middlebrooks is the next best thing, Saltman is your batterymate.....explain to me where the problem is??? A few bench players and pitchers?

Ever hear of Mariano Rivera, Michael Pineda, Dave Robertson.....may be a little more impact than you can throw it there yet there's no whining in the Bronx!!! Maybe give Ben Cherington a call huh?:)

7554642-wine-composition.jpg
I suppose Jacoby Ellsbury hasn't been missed. He was possibly the best positional player in baseball last year
I suppose Carl Crawford's career is over, there was no way he was going to ever revert to the player he was with Tampa
I suppose being without your top 4 or 5 outfielders at the same time is no big deal. That happens to teams all the time.
I suppose being without your closer isn't a big deal
I suppose Pedroia hitting .160 in June has nothing to do with his thumb injury that he's trying to play through because of all the other injuries on the team. Most guys in his position would probably be on the DL by now.
I suppose the Sox won't miss Beckett at all the next 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, you're right. just a couple of bench players and meh pitchers.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
On behalf of all Yankee fans: please get healthy, Carl Crawford. Your team needs you. Please get better.

Reaction Score
I suppose Jacoby Ellsbury hasn't been missed. He was possibly the best positional player in baseball last year He's missed
I suppose Carl Crawford's career is over, there was no way he was going to ever revert to the player he was with Tampa Answer the question dopey - was he any good last year?
I suppose being without your top 4 or 5 outfielders at the same time is no big deal. That happens to teams all the time. Who are the 4 or 5? Again a maybe......besides Ellsbury
I suppose being without your closer isn't a big deal.. Yanks have the best closer in the history of baseball and I think they're surviving....again ask Ben C
I suppose Pedroia hitting .160 in June has nothing to do with his thumb injury that he's trying to play through because of all the other injuries on the team. Most guys in his position would probably be on the DL by now. Waaaa......if he's hurt sit down and quit whining.....a lot of guys play hurt and don't hit .160
I suppose the Sox won't miss Beckett at all the next 2-3 weeks.......The clubhouse guys will miss their beers and wings for sure......Pineda's out all year so quit crying

See above....your argument is weal at best.....one guy who is proven is out for any amount of time in Ellsbury....another playing hurt but since he's playing too bad about his hitting, not our issue the Yanks and many other teams have had guys play less than their potential due to injury he isn't the first despite those Red Colored glasses you wear so proudly........Beckett is hurt WOW start the fn presses......funny ..........

Again the Yanks have proven commodities like Rivera, Pineda, Robertson and Gardner out.......you've yet to equal that in your whiny list Erik!!!!

You have easily become the most annoying, whiny Sox fan in BY history and it didn't take too long.;)

Reaction Score
I suppose Jacoby Ellsbury hasn't been missed. He was possibly the best positional player in baseball last year
I suppose Carl Crawford's career is over, there was no way he was going to ever revert to the player he was with Tampa
I suppose being without your top 4 or 5 outfielders at the same time is no big deal. That happens to teams all the time.
I suppose being without your closer isn't a big deal
I suppose Pedroia hitting .160 in June has nothing to do with his thumb injury that he's trying to play through because of all the other injuries on the team. Most guys in his position would probably be on the DL by now.
I suppose the Sox won't miss Beckett at all the next 2-3 weeks.

Well, this IS the Official Sox Fans Crying About Injuries thread. Nicely done!

Reaction Score
Well, this IS the Official Sox Fans Crying About Injuries thread. Nicely done!

You can fish them out with the best of them Deep.........

Unbelievable two 1 hitters in a row and the dominance is brilliant. The fact he can throw a hard, heavy knuckler, a 79-80 mph fastball or the ocassional 86-88 mph heater is just leaving good hitter guessing and looking silly!

Golf soon or what? ......any outings/scrambles?

Reaction Score
You can fish them out with the best of them Deep.........

Unbelievable two 1 hitters in a row and the dominance is brilliant. The fact he can throw a hard, heavy knuckler, a 79-80 mph fastball or the ocassional 86-88 mph heater is just leaving good hitter guessing and looking silly!

Golf soon or what? ......any outings/scrambles?

My Baltimore and Vegas boondoggles have cut into my golfing so far. I need to ramp it up! Let me know when!

Reaction Score
See above....your argument is weal at best.....one guy who is proven is out for any amount of time in Ellsbury....another playing hurt but since he's playing too bad about his hitting, not our issue the Yanks and many other teams have had guys play less than their potential due to injury he isn't the first despite those Red Colored glasses you wear so proudly........Beckett is hurt WOW start the fn presses......funny ..........

Again the Yanks have proven commodities like Rivera, Pineda, Robertson and Gardner out.......you've yet to equal that in your whiny list Erik!!!!

You have easily become the most annoying, whiny Sox fan in BY history and it didn't take too long.;)
I hate playing into the traps of Ace and Gary, but I can't allow the last few posts to stand the test of time as the truth. You can't enjoy the benefits of the Sox having all these injuries and then try to dismiss them as the Sox suffering the same inequities as everyone else.

Ellsbury and Pedroia - finished 2nd and 3rd in WAR last year for MLB positional players. Ellsbury will end up missing three months and Pedroia has been playing with an injury that has decimated his productivity for the last 4 weeks. He's tried to play through it because that's his mentality and because there are enough players already out. If the DL list was much smaller, he and the team might have just gone ahead and given him the rest he needed four weeks ago when he first injured it. After last night he may be on the DL after all today or tomorrow. Let me be clear there is no one your list of Rivera, Robertson, Gardner or Pineda who has shown the ability to impact a season more than these two positional players can. As great as Rivera and Robertson have been, they pitch 60 innings a year. Even the best relievers are not as valuable as very good positional players. Pineda has the potential perhaps, but his move from Safeco to Yankee Stadium and facing AL East lineups will be something to watch. Last year his numbers against AL East opponents was pretty poor. And you have that thing where no sane team would trade a guy like Pineda for a future DH in a pitchers park unless they had serious reservations about him to physically hold up.

Crawford - You call me a dope yet you think Crawford is now no better than a 3rd/4th outfielder now? Over the last 8 years he has been one of the best all around LF's in the majors. Did he have a bad year, hell yeah. But it's not like he's the age of Eric Chavez or andruw jones, or hell half the Yankees roster. He had a bad year as a 29 year old. He's still only 30. People don't fall off a cliff at that age.
There were several reasons for his performance last year. New team, pressure to live up the contract, getting his lingering wrist injury shot up during the year. Fortunately the wrist has finally been taken care of and they seem to have taken care of the elbow (knock on wood). Use your head. Put the contract aside and there are many GM's who would love to add a healthy Carl Crawford to their team. And I'm the dope?

Ross just came off the DL, was on it for a month. First game back he HR's and now has a 900 OPS. At the time he went on the DL he was leading the team in RBI's. He's taylor made for Fenway and his injury was an impact period. Think of some lefty player with decent power going into Yankee Stadium. Think of Johnny Damon. Thats Cody Ross in Fenway.

Bailey - Has been a very good closer for Oakland. Of course it's been in the AL West so we have to see how it translates to the AL East. But to dismiss this as a nothing injury is nonsense. Even if you think worst case scenario he's going to be an average run of the mill closer with Boston, his injury still moves Aceves out of his most valuable position, which is as a swingman in the bullpen, or emergency starter. Aceves was huge for the Sox in that role, especially in September when everyone else was melting down.

Beckett- Yeah he just went on the DL, but hopefully it's only for two weeks. Anything more than they are in serious trouble. Whatever the public perception of him his, he's still a very good pitcher. Finished with a 2.89 era last year, 9th in the cy young. He's had two stinkers this year but overall he's been very good. He only has one less quality start than Sabathia so far. And while you seem to insinuate that Beckett is always injured, he's only had one year in the past 8 where he's made less than 26 starts.

I know this evaluation will likely fall on deaf ears but I need to educate the ignorant. Hopefully the beginning of the second half they can get back Ellsbury, Crawford, Beckett, Bailey and perhaps a healthy Pedroia and Sox fans won't even have the option of being pissed off and frustrated with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom