The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Reaction Score
Yeah I have soured on Conforto as well, he could definitely put together a great month and change that but he's so inconsistent. Love the Baez move, such a galaxy brain move by Cohen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will we see deGrom again this season? Next year is his contract year. Should be very interesting. I can’t see breaking the bank on someone with this injury history.

This is one of the strangest stories in baseball.

Reaction Score
Will we see deGrom again this season? Next year is his contract year. Should be very interesting. I can’t see breaking the bank on someone with this injury history.

The real life Sidd Finch?

Reaction Score

Yes we'll see him next year and every year after that in a Mets uniform. There's 0 chance deGrom throws a pitch for anyone but the Mets in his career

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Nats paid Stras handsomely despite him not even getting to 150 IPs in five of his 10 seasons prior to signing the $245M seven year extension. He was 31.

Unless DeGrom's arm literally falls off, Mets have to pay up, or risk a worse PR nightmare than the Midnight Massacre of '77.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes we'll see him next year and every year after that in a Mets uniform. There's 0 chance deGrom throws a pitch for anyone but the Mets in his career
I love the guy--more than the Mets themselves at times--but this last month has been bizarre imo. The look in his eyes is more troubling to me than anything because he seems mystified, frustrated and scared. All we heard until the past two weeks was that there was nothing structural and nothing showing on the MRIs, but he felt forearm tightness. Now they say they see inflammation in his forearm on the imaging that warrants a two-week shutdown? And he hasn't pitched in a game since July 7th?

I guess the mystery is what scares me. How do you value him now? Will he warrant a contract commensurate with the best pitcher in a generation and most valuable player? I certainly wouldn't bet on him returning to that form at this point, but we'll see what happens.

At the end of the day it's not my money and if Uncle $teve wants to pay him I have no issue, but if it was my money I would be very skeptical that he lives up to the price tag.

Reaction Score
I love the guy--more than the Mets themselves at times--but this last month has been bizarre imo. The look in his eyes is more troubling to me than anything because he seems mystified, frustrated and scared. All we heard until the past two weeks was that there was nothing structural and nothing showing on the MRIs, but he felt forearm tightness. Now they say they see inflammation in his forearm on the imaging that warrants a two-week shutdown? And he hasn't pitched in a game since July 7th?

I guess the mystery is what scares me. How do you value him now? Will he warrant a contract commensurate with the best pitcher in a generation and most valuable player? I certainly wouldn't bet on him returning to that form at this point, but we'll see what happens.

At the end of the day it's not my money and if Uncle $teve wants to pay him I have no issue, but if it was my money I would be very skeptical that he lives up to the price tag.
If he was a guy with a long injury history I'd get the worry, but he's not. I'm not going to ignore 6 seasons of greatness and not pay the best pitcher in baseball because he's had 1 injury plagued season where in between injuries he still looked like the best player in baseball

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If he was a guy with a long injury history I'd get the worry, but he's not. I'm not going to ignore 6 seasons of greatness and not pay the best pitcher in baseball because he's had 1 injury plagued season where in between injuries he still looked like the best player in baseball
But he did things this season that neither he nor any other pitchers have ever done in terms of the percentage and number of pitches at 100 mph or more and I think we're in uncharted territory with respect to the effect that has on a human body. My concern is that he can't return to doing that and expect to take the mound as a starter every fifth day.

If he can return to what he was doing in prior seasons that would be great.

Reaction Score
The ultimate fate of this team will rely on deGrom however…..this really is a team for the ages. So fun to root for all season long.

Reaction Score
JAVY BEISBOL
Oh Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
As a Braves fan, this pains me

Reaction Score
It takes two to tango, and Boras is never a good dance partner.
That's not the issue, the issue is they agreed on $6M and are now trying to pull the deal based on medical info that the Mets doctors find concerning in opposition to numerous other doctors who find no issues

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's not the issue, the issue is they agreed on $6M and are now trying to pull the deal based on medical info that the Mets doctors find concerning in opposition to numerous other doctors who find no issues
The agreement was contingent on medical clearance because he opted out of the MRI program. Mets doctors say there is an issue. Other doctors disagree. Mets have the right to cancel the deal. They offered less money and so far Boras and Rocker have not agreed.

There is a reason he slipped to the Mets and it sounds like they are not the only ones with concerns about his elbow.

I don’t know the truth but I know I would never trust Boras for anything.

Reaction Score
The agreement was contingent on medical clearance because he opted out of the MRI program. Mets doctors say there is an issue. Other doctors disagree. Mets have the right to cancel the deal. They offered less money and so far Boras and Rocker have not agreed.

There is a reason he slipped to the Mets and it sounds like they are not the only ones with concerns about his elbow.

I don’t know the truth but I know I would never trust Boras for anything.
Yes that's my point, the Mets have offered less money to Rocker and they are stupid for doing so because it's going to cost them Kumar Rocker

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes that's my point, the Mets have offered less money to Rocker and they are stupid for doing so because it's going to cost them Kumar Rocker
I guess time will tell whether that’s a big loss.

I’m a little more concerned about our current pitching.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I guess time will tell whether that’s a big loss.

I’m a little more concerned about our current pitching.
I guess the stupidity on the Mets’ part was not having a backup plan on which to spend the money (around $1.3M if I understand correctly) in the event that he didn’t sign.

Reaction Score
I guess the stupidity on the Mets’ part was not having a backup plan on which to spend the money (around $1.3M if I understand correctly) in the event that he didn’t sign.
Yeah that's the big miss was not having a guy from the 18th round to still sign today. They'll get the 11th pick next year to recoup some value but the money will be lost

Reaction Score
DeGrom now shut down until September with inflammation. This team has really faced some adversity. Need Stroman and Walker to be better than they have their last month.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
DeGrom now shut down until September with inflammation. This team has really faced some adversity. Need Stroman and Walker to be better than they have their last month.
We don't have anything close to an ace. The Megill kid going tonight is probably our best healthy pitcher right now. He's a great story, but just a rookie and a small sample size.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Apparently the Mets never offered Rocker any contract at all because of their doctors' concerns and the belief that the 11th pick next year was more valuable:

One thing I don't understand is, if Rocker is going pro with an indy team or whatever, why doesn't he become eligible for FA immediately upon doing so rather than going into the 2022 draft?

Off top of my head, I can't recall any pro player ever being selected in the draft.

An amusing tidbit from an hour ago... I was leaving my PT appointment and a guy and his wife were headed in. He was wearing gaudy matching blue Mets shorts and shirt, with Mets logo. And a Mets cap. Dude was like 45-50. In suburban Pittsburgh. And the Mets aren't in town. What adult dresses like that? Anyway, I said in passing, "Sorry about Rocker." Both he and his wife laughed but said nothing in return.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One thing I don't understand is, if Rocker is going pro with an indy team or whatever, why doesn't he become eligible for FA immediately upon doing so rather than going into the 2022 draft?
Because that would give too much leverage to the players and make them less likely to agree to terms with the teams that drafted them. That's why the team that drafts them holds the exclusive right to their services in that league for the next season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Baez hurt.

We can’t have nice things.

You couldn’t make this crap up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members