The Official Beg Diamond Stone To Come To UCONN Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official Beg Diamond Stone To Come To UCONN Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Article posted on ESPN.com this morning. Insider's article. Nothing really new anyway.

A closer look at Diamond Stone

Team that needs him most: UConn

During the Jim Calhoun era, the Huskies were built on having a stable of quality big men who could score around the rim, rebound -- and of course, block shots. That hasn’t been the case lately though, as UConn has been carried by the Kemba Walkers and Shabazz Napiers of the world, while using more of a stretch-4 mismatch as opposed to two classic bigs. While that might be a byproduct of the direction of the game, the Huskies getting Stone for next season would enable Kevin Ollie to put two contrasting yet effective bigs on the court at the same time.
Amida Brimah is one of the best defensive players in the country, while Stone’s offensive skill set would complement Brimah's perfectly. Stone can score around the basket, but is also capable of stepping out and knocking down 14-17 footers or passing out of the high post. Moreover, with Ryan Boatright leaving after this season, UConn’s run of dominant and dynamic point guards might be coming to a close. Getting Stone would mean the Huskies could go inside-out in 2015-16.

Best fit: Wisconsin

Bo Ryan might not run the swing offense as often as he used to, but the Wisconsin offense still involves putting five players on the court who can knock down shots and space the floor. Moreover, the Badgers still invert their big men -- as evidenced by
Frank Kaminsky’s play over the last two seasons. With Kaminsky leaving after this season, Wisconsin has a major hole at the center position. Nigel Hayes should really come into his own next season, but playing next to a capable player like Stone would create a formidable duo. Stone would slot into Ryan’s offense very effectively given his ability to make shots from the perimeter or the mid-range. He’s likely not a 40-plus percent 3-point shooter like Kaminsky, but he’s capable -- and he’s also a very good passer, which would open things up for the rest of Wisconsin’s weapons. Additionally, Ryan has done well when it comes to developing quality big men, from Kaminsky and Jared Berggren to Jon Leuer and Brian Butch. While he possesses more of a back-to-the-basket game, Stone could be the next in line.

Goes on to talk about potential logjams (says he'd start at all 4 of his finalists anyway), dominoes to fall (nothing impacting Stone) and the Under Armour and Maryland talk. I'd be shocked if he ends up at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IF Dimaond Stone is a 4 man then I could live with it. There is NO way Id recruit over Amida's head--no way n o how. I can accept moving Nolan to back up C--I think even Nolan would accept that. But Amida has put in 2 years of hard work here---he personally is responsible for us beating St Joseph which was the main conduit for us winning a chip. Hes doubled his freshmen output--hes EARNED the starting C spot here at Uconn for the next 2 years if he stays. I would not recruit over him not 1/1000 chance. If Stone can play 4 man then thats fine. I'm a little surprised at the lack of loyalty. Loyalty is a foundational basis of life. Id rather go down losing with Amida at C than winning by recruiting over his head.
That's two in a week
Another AZHuskiePop literary award
This time for the best covert use of sarcasm in a post.
Congratulations lucky poster
PS if this post was not meant as sarcasm , please advise us of the what it is exactly you are ingesting. we all could use some.

Reaction Score
IF Dimaond Stone is a 4 man then I could live with it. There is NO way Id recruit over Amida's head--no way n o how. I can accept moving Nolan to back up C--I think even Nolan would accept that. But Amida has put in 2 years of hard work here---he personally is responsible for us beating St Joseph which was the main conduit for us winning a chip. Hes doubled his freshmen output--hes EARNED the starting C spot here at Uconn for the next 2 years if he stays. I would not recruit over him not 1/1000 chance. If Stone can play 4 man then thats fine. I'm a little surprised at the lack of loyalty. Loyalty is a foundational basis of life. Id rather go down losing with Amida at C than winning by recruiting over his head.
Alright Mr. Loyal, Terrence Samuel is also responsible for our magical run last year and he earned the first guard off the bench so we shouldn't recruit a shooting guard with a good handle to get in front of him? If someone plays better than you then as a player you help the team in whatever capacity it needs fill in, starter, whatever. Not recruiting over anyone, but get the best players you can and let the chips fall. I like that KO is loyal but hope it's not to a fault.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is all irrelevant because Stone ain't coming, but the notion that we don't recruit over players is nonsense. Go back to KEA at least. Ricky said JC sat him down and told him that Khalid was coming in and was going to start, which meant either Ricky or Rash would be relegated to the bench. Ricky's response: "Sorry, Rash." And Rash was a great role player for that team.

Look at the Born to Lead special on JC and watch Ben Gordon's comments. He laughed with a steely look in his eye while describing the dynamic whereby JC would bring in a guy for your exact position the following season, sending the clear message that you needed to earn the spot every year or risk someone coming and taking it from you.

Hell, how many times did he do that KO? Taliek? And they became better players for it.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Oklahoma State coaches visited him recently. Maybe they've moved to third in line ahead of UConn or maybe there's a ways to go in this one.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Article posted on ESPN.com this morning. Insider's article. Nothing really new anyway.

A closer look at Diamond Stone

Team that needs him most: UConn

During the Jim Calhoun era, the Huskies were built on having a stable of quality big men who could score around the rim, rebound -- and of course, block shots. That hasn’t been the case lately though, as UConn has been carried by the Kemba Walkers and Shabazz Napiers of the world, while using more of a stretch-4 mismatch as opposed to two classic bigs. While that might be a byproduct of the direction of the game, the Huskies getting Stone for next season would enable Kevin Ollie to put two contrasting yet effective bigs on the court at the same time.
Amida Brimah is one of the best defensive players in the country, while Stone’s offensive skill set would complement Brimah's perfectly. Stone can score around the basket, but is also capable of stepping out and knocking down 14-17 footers or passing out of the high post. Moreover, with Ryan Boatright leaving after this season, UConn’s run of dominant and dynamic point guards might be coming to a close. Getting Stone would mean the Huskies could go inside-out in 2015-16.

How many true back to basket big man have we had?...how many real offensive threats outside of Okafor?...our last two titles came with a frontcourt of Oriakhi, Okwandu, Roscoe Smith and Brimah, Nolan...so not sure what this means. Brimah lead the nation in FG percentage and certainly can score around the rim, that's about all he can do on offense. He was 3rd in the nation in blocks but his rebounding leaves much to be desired (an extreme understatement)....any offense we get from our bigs is a plus - we have always generated most of our offense from the back court on a consistent basis.

Don't get me wrong, Stone would be a welcomed addition but it's not happening at this rate and our tournament hopes do not hinge on whether he comes here or not. They would certainly improve our chances but it's not the be all end all. Adams, Purvis and Hamilton hold the keys to how good we will be next year. If Brimah chooses to progress in an off season where he isn't nursing a shoulder injury then we will be even better off

Reaction Score
Does anybody know when signing day is for this class? Honest question - don't really follow recruiting all that much

Reaction Score
That's cold. Scrappy is the most optimistic poster in fantasy land. He is the only poster that brings levity after a loss, and if you happen to indulge in his thinking for a minute, gives you hope for the next game/season and all of our players.

He's not dumb, just a the polar opposite of the complaining batch of posters we have, particularly during a bad season.

Trust me we needed him this year, or at least I did.

Post On Scrappy! My Man!

And just like that, you are now a lottery pick in his mock draft. Well done, sir!

Reaction Score
Drummond was really good.

Ben Wallace was 33 and on the decline 4 seasons in a row.
Its all about the chemistry. Yes Drummond was goo! But so was the rest of his team. The chemistry was not there

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
How many true back to basket big man have we had?...how many real offensive threats outside of Okafor?...our last two titles came with a frontcourt of Oriakhi, Okwandu, Roscoe Smith and Brimah, Nolan...so not sure what this means. Brimah lead the nation in FG percentage and certainly can score around the rim, that's about all he can do on offense. He was 3rd in the nation in blocks but his rebounding leaves much to be desired (an extreme understatement)....any offense we get from our bigs is a plus - we have always generated most of our offense from the back court on a consistent basis.

Don't get me wrong, Stone would be a welcomed addition but it's not happening at this rate and our tournament hopes do not hinge on whether he comes here or not. They would certainly improve our chances but it's not the be all end all. Adams, Purvis and Hamilton hold the keys to how good we will be next year. If Brimah chooses to progress in an off season where he isn't nursing a shoulder injury then we will be even better off

I think that means if you have Kemba, Shabazz and Lamb or Bazz, Boat & Kromah/Giffey; you can get by with a weaker front court. Especially in 2014

Reaction Score
This is all irrelevant because Stone ain't coming, but the notion that we don't recruit over players is nonsense. Go back to KEA at least. Ricky said JC sat him down and told him that Khalid was coming in and was going to start, which meant either Ricky or Rash would be relegated to the bench. Ricky's response: "Sorry, Rash." And Rash was a great role player for that team.

Look at the Born to Lead special on JC and watch Ben Gordon's comments. He laughed with a steely look in his eye while describing the dynamic whereby JC would bring in a guy for your exact position the following season, sending the clear message that you needed to earn the spot every year or risk someone coming and taking it from you.

Hell, how many times did he do that KO? Taliek? And they became better players for it.

Who did he bring in to push Taliek? So far as I can tell, the only PG that came into the program during Taliek's career was Williams, who didn't come in until Taliek's senior year.

Reaction Score
There are no guarantees how a one and done will pane out not every player is Davis/Melo/DRose/Durant etc, but I would take that chance, and yes I would still take AD if we had to do it all over again, he nearly averaged a double double in big east play.
I dont disagree. If there is no chemistry, we can expect another 10 loss season

Reaction Score
I feel like I read the dumbest thing I've ever read twice daily on this board.
Read it again! No diss to Drummond. Its all about the chemistry! I dont care who we have. The team with Drummond lost 14 games. We got knocked out the first round. One person cant do it without a team.

Reaction Score
Read it again! No diss to Drummond. Its all about the chemistry! I dont care who we have. The team with Drummond lost 14 games. We got knocked out the first round. One person cant do it without a team.

That's what I thought was dumb. Talent is more important than chemistry. I've seen way too many teams win despite hating each other.

Reaction Score
Lol you guys are funny! STONE IS NOT COMING TO UCONN! He visited twice and still did not commit! Wisconsin will not be the same next year and Maryland would be a better fit for him. Hey, I am just being real and I love UCONN just like the rest of you but facing reality!

Reaction Score
That's what I thought was dumb. Talent is more important than chemistry. I've seen way too many teams win despite hating each other.
Ok so Kentucky having a much much more talented team lost to Uconn twice in the same year. So did North carolina, Michigan State, etc.... All talented and more athletic. Try again. We need both talent and chemistry

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who did he bring in to push Taliek? So far as I can tell, the only PG that came into the program during Taliek's career was Williams, who didn't come in until Taliek's senior year.
Ok, maybe that one was wishful thinking on my part. Not gonna lie, I wanted him replaced every year.

Of course, I was wrong, and Jim Calhoun is in the HoF for a reason.

Reaction Score
This train left the station without us on it. We have to accept it and move on.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Lol you guys are funny! STONE IS NOT COMING TO UCONN! He visited twice and still did not commit! Wisconsin will not be the same next year and Maryland would be a better fit for him. Hey, I am just being real and I love UCONN just like the rest of you but facing reality!
UconnFan"DC"? saying the best fit for Stone is Maryland?? Sounds like you're a Maryland fan going undercover.

Reaction Score
UconnFan"DC"? saying the best fit for Stone is Maryland?? Sounds like you're a Maryland fan going undercover.
Never a Maryland fan. I am being real. There is an opening in the middle in Maryland. Wisconsin he doesnt have the grades but sounds like his father selfish but will also settle since MD in Big 10. I'd love him to come to Uconn. They used Phil Nolan to help get him since Phil from Wisconsin. .....ummmm yeah about that?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Never a Maryland fan. I am being real. There is an opening in the middle in Maryland. Wisconsin he doesnt have the grades but sounds like his father selfish but will also settle since MD in Big 10. I'd love him to come to Uconn. They used Phil Nolan to help get him since Phil from Wisconsin. .....ummmm yeah about that?
And we don't have an opening in the middle? Have you watched this team this season? Stone would absolutely start immediately. We'd play two big like Kensucky did this season and actual get some inside scoring and rebounding.

Reaction Score
And we don't have an opening in the middle? Have you watched this team this season? Stone would absolutely start immediately. We'd play two big like Kensucky did this season and actual get some inside scoring and rebounding.
Then why the heck do we need to beg him??

Diamond, do you want a better chance to become a higher draft pick!?!? Trust us, the GMs who passed on Drummond are kicking themselves every day for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom