The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New England Patriots Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So who's the starting QB week 1?
Could be a draft pick. Could be Mayfield. Could be Russ Wilson. Could be Justin Fields. Could be Jacoby Brissett. I think that’s about it. If any of the first three names, any QB will be later. If Brissett comes in it’s probably to ensure the 1st or 2nd round rookie doesn’t have to start if not ready.

This offensive staff is now much better equipped to evaluate and develop a QB. Any of the options above could be viable. I think Wilson is a head case so that’s not my preference. Mayfield will probably stay in Tampa. Fields for a 3rd rounder could work. The new cap means playing him $26m over two years is still cheap. But they’d have to believe they can develop him.

Pending the combine, trading back and taking McCarthy is an option. Need a LT in round two if they do, barring a trade.

Reaction Score
Could be a draft pick. Could be Mayfield. Could be Russ Wilson. Could be Justin Fields. Could be Jacoby Brissett. I think that’s about it. If any of the first three names, any QB will be later. If Brissett comes in it’s probably to ensure the 1st or 2nd round rookie doesn’t have to start if not ready.

This offensive staff is now much better equipped to evaluate and develop a QB. Any of the options above could be viable. I think Wilson is a head case so that’s not my preference. Mayfield will probably stay in Tampa. Fields for a 3rd rounder could work. The new cap means playing him $26m over two years is still cheap. But they’d have to believe they can develop him.

Pending the combine, trading back and taking McCarthy is an option. Need a LT in round two if they do, barring a trade.
I’d be surprised if it were Fields. There will be a number of suitors and the Pats aren’t typically high rollers in those situations.

I would not feel good about Wilson. I don’t think he’ll start for a team this fall and his warts are exposed.

But. Just assume it’s either Wilson or Brissett. You still feel good they can grab a wild card?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’d be surprised if it were Fields. There will be a number of suitors and the Pats aren’t typically high rollers in those situations.

I would not feel good about Wilson. I don’t think he’ll start for a team this fall and his warts are exposed.

But. Just assume it’s either Wilson or Brissett. You still feel good they can grab a wild card?
I don't "feel good" they can grab a wild card no matter who the QB is. It's unlikely. This year there were what 8-9 teams fighting for those spots, I think the mostly likely thing is that they land outside the playoffs in that group of middle of the pack teams. But it's football. The most likely thing was that a mediocre team that lost it's starting QB wasn't going to win the super bowl in the 2001 season. It doesn't take much, a punt return or pick six, to change things. The CB/Punt returner who won the Jets game two years ago missed the whole season last year, but is back. Look at the Browns, who grabbed Flacco and pushed into the playoffs. Flacco is also definitely an option since our OC was his OC last year, but like Brissett, that would be with a rookie as well.

I'd be more surprised by Wilson than Fields. No way they want someone who doesn't seem to be team first. The market for fields seems to be Atlanta, Pittsburgh and NE. That's it. I think they want a rookie if they can get the right one. But nobody knows what they are thinking.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yikes

Yeah, pretty bad. But I saw that this is based on a survey from what was essentially the 2022 season. The locker room, weight room and training facility were redone with the other changes at Gillette last year. So hopefully those will be better next time. New strength coach as well (Mayo's brother). I don't know if they added a "Family Room" I can see wanting that. Adding a daycare for 10 games is dumb. Licensing for those in MA is a PIA. I

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty bad. But I saw that this is based on a survey from what was essentially the 2022 season. The locker room, weight room and training facility were redone with the other changes at Gillette last year.
Yeah, no. You are literally lying to carry Robert Kraft's water. I don't get it. Kraft is a creep. According to today's Globe, they had this survey last year and the Pats fared just as badly. And responded by doing nothing. Nothing. And while you pronounced facilites were "redone", the truth is improved facilities aren't even in the planning stages yet. Why do you write stuff like this?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, no. You are literally lying to carry Robert Kraft's water. I don't get it. Kraft is a creep. According to today's Globe, they had this survey last year and the Pats fared just as badly. And responded by doing nothing. Nothing. And while you pronounced facilites were "redone", the truth is improved facilities aren't even in the planning stages yet. Why do you write stuff like this?
The renovations were slated to include a new weight room and training facilities. I'm not making it up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You said they were done!
The tweet was from last March. Daniels has now said it again just now, so evidently it was not done even though it was supposed to be part of the renovations last year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On more important news, Jeff Howe thinks they are going QB at #3.

The Patriots really want to draft a quarterback with the No. 3 pick. The front office wrapped up its pre-free-agency meetings a week ago and seems to be on the same page that the best way to jump-start this rebuild and yield long-term success is to find a young quarterback in the NFL Draft to build around.

The Patriots’ decision-makers know there are a lot of holes on the roster beyond the quarterback position. They know there’s one roster-building sentiment that suggests they’d be wise to improve the rest of the team before dropping a rookie quarterback into it — that a rookie quarterback won’t be set up for success until the rest of the roster is better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The jump in salary cap looks like it took front office franchise personnel by surprise. Most in the know were expecting in the $240s M. It provides significant relief for New Orleans, Miami, Buffalo, and Denver, among others.

The Bills are still 43M over the cap, followed by the Saints and Dolphins with approx. $40M and $30M respectively. Certainly better than the $50M+ that was expected, but they are not out of the woods just yet. They have restructure candidates, but I believe a few of their larger contracts (other than Allen, who's not going anywhere) are nearly uncuttable. Josh Allen will, in all likelihood, be restructured. That is half the 2024 deficit right there. OTOH, they run into problems with players like Von Miller. He's 34, plays like he's 44, while being paid like he's 24. He can be designated as a post-June 1 cut, but they have to get under the cap before then. The emergence of Kincaid makes Knox expendable, but I believe the associated dead money also makes him uncuttable. Davis walking as a free agent makes Diggs their only bonafide outside receiving threat, yet has a health cap hit for someone whose production taled off significantly as the season went on. Also, it's not enough for these teams to merely meet the cap. They have to have room to sign free agents and draft picks.

Contrary to logic, the elevated cap number is not necessarily a positive for Washington, Tennessee, Chicago, and New England (I.e. teams with the most cap space), because teams will not be forced to effective players, but with bloated deals. As a result, the FA market could be a much thinner than previously expected, yet players will command above market deals.

Teams who the cap helps are in the middle of the pac. Those who don't need to play significant cap games, but who may have made a mistake or two in previously extending their own players or signing mediocre free agents to larger deals.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty bad. But I saw that this is based on a survey from what was essentially the 2022 season. The locker room, weight room and training facility were redone with the other changes at Gillette last year. So hopefully those will be better next time. New strength coach as well (Mayo's brother). I don't know if they added a "Family Room" I can see wanting that. Adding a daycare for 10 games is dumb. Licensing for those in MA is a PIA. I
These means nothing. Washington is no surprise at 32. They have the worst stadium in the NFL, but changed ownership mere weeks before the surveys and have since acquired a new coaching staff.

Notable that the 2x defending Super Bowl Champion Chiefs came in at 31.

Is the daycare only for game days? If an NFL facility has a daycare, I would imagine it would work similar to any other family, where dad is responsible for dropping off the child on his way to work. I also assume that an in facility daycare would be open to Nina in Corporate Accounts Payable as much as Davon Godchaux.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The jump in salary cap looks like it took front office franchise personnel by surprise. Most in the know were expecting in the $240s M. It provides significant relief for New Orleans, Miami, Buffalo, and Denver, among others.

The Bills are still 43M over the cap, followed by the Saints and Dolphins with approx. $40M and $30M respectively. Certainly better than the $50M+ that was expected, but they are not out of the woods just yet. They have restructure candidates, but I believe a few of their larger contracts (other than Allen, who's not going anywhere) are nearly uncuttable. Josh Allen will, in all likelihood, be restructured. That is half the 2024 deficit right there. OTOH, they run into problems with players like Von Miller. He's 34, plays like he's 44, while being paid like he's 24. He can be designated as a post-June 1 cut, but they have to get under the cap before then. The emergence of Kincaid makes Knox expendable, but I believe the associated dead money also makes him uncuttable. Davis walking as a free agent makes Diggs their only bonafide outside receiving threat, yet has a health cap hit for someone whose production taled off significantly as the season went on. Also, it's not enough for these teams to merely meet the cap. They have to have room to sign free agents and draft picks.

Contrary to logic, the elevated cap number is not necessarily a positive for Washington, Tennessee, Chicago, and New England (I.e. teams with the most cap space), because teams will not be forced to effective players, but with bloated deals. As a result, the FA market could be a much thinner than previously expected, yet players will command above market deals.

Teams who the cap helps are in the middle of the pac. Those who don't need to play significant cap games, but who may have made a mistake or two in previously extending their own players or signing mediocre free agents to larger deals.
Makes sense. While the Patriots will spend on some free agents. The WR class is really thin. So is OT. I expect them to sign an outside Tight End, possibly a DT or Edge guy, maybe a CB or FS and a RB. The cap space is best used to extend Barmore, sign Onwenu and Dugger. Consider locking up anybody else you want to keep.

Seems like they will draft a QB. So unless they keep Mac, might need a veteran backup QB. WR and OT mostly need to come via the draft.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
These means nothing. Washington is no surprise at 32. They have the worst stadium in the NFL, but changed ownership mere weeks before the surveys and have since acquired a new coaching staff.

Notable that the 2x defending Super Bowl Champion Chiefs came in at 31.

Is the daycare only for game days? If an NFL facility has a daycare, I would imagine it would work similar to any other family, where dad is responsible for dropping off the child on his way to work. I also assume that an in facility daycare would be open to Nina in Corporate Accounts Payable as much as Davon Godchaux.
When you look at the details, it's not that bad. New England Patriots Report Card 2023
For example. 85% of players think they have enough space in the locker room, but that gets a C+.

I honestly don't know how Daycare works at the facilities that have them. Gillette is in a retail complex so it would be possible to invite one there and just subsidize it for players. My company had a deal like that with a third party Daycare center located near two offices in Mass. I think that's the only way to do it. A team probably doesn't want to run a licensed, regulated daycare or put it in the building itself.

Husky25

Reaction Score
When you look at the details, it's not that bad. New England Patriots Report Card 2023
For example. 85% of players think they have enough space in the locker room, but that gets a C+.

I honestly don't know how Daycare works at the facilities that have them. Gillette is in a retail complex so it would be possible to invite one there and just subsidize it for players. My company had a deal like that with a third party Daycare center located near two offices in Mass. I think that's the only way to do it. A team probably doesn't want to run a licensed, regulated daycare or put it in the building itself.
I had an advertising client in the 2000s in Connecticut who offered in-house daycare. I'm not sure if it was run by a 3rd party, but it was in the building.

And yet 28 of the 32 teams do it
I'm thinking of Apollo 13. The Patriots are facing about 1,000 issues preventing them from making the playoffs, let alone a deep run. They are on #8. Having or not having an on-site daycare is #692.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And yet 28 of the 32 teams do it
The report says 11 teams don't offer daycare, so that's wrong. There is no indication anywhere that the daycare is at the stadium itself.

Reaction Score
The report says 11 teams don't offer daycare, so that's wrong. There is no indication anywhere that the daycare is at the stadium itself.
Keep reading the rest, that's half the report. 4 teams don't offer a family room or daycare

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Keep reading the rest, that's half the report. 4 teams don't offer a family room or daycare

Which is not the same as how many have daycare. Or whether it is in the stadium itself (unlikely).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this Wolf character is looking like a Chaim Bloom 2.0. Talks a good game. He has a ton of cap space, let's see what he can do. Of course, the report showing what the Pats think about their players can't help recruitment. Why the Pats have come out yesterday showing concrete examples that all of these issues are being addressed I don't understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom