The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 36 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame Collins, your ace pitcher is dealing and Familia has already blown 2 saves, they still win the game if Wright and Duda don't look like little leaguers on that play, Mets defense has been atrocious all series and they deserve to lose, KC is the more complete and better team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yup. Totally dumb managing screwed them Harvey was great but let macho get in the way.

Reaction Score
Well this certainly sucks. Great year, just can't deny how tough and gritty these Royals were. Simply put, they were tougher than our Mets. Simply weren't going to be denied.

Our fahking offense betrayed us though, and that is what is infuriating as this winds down.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame Collins, your ace pitcher is dealing and Familia has already blown 2 saves, they still win the game if Wright and Duda don't look like little leaguers on that play, Mets defense has been atrocious all series and they deserve to lose, KC is the more complete and better team.

Nah. Leaving Harvey in for one batter ok, that should have been the end of Harvey.

Reaction Score
Yup. Totally dumb managing screwed them Harvey was great but let macho get in the way.
Any ace pitcher is going to want to go out there to close it out, that's part of what makes them aces.

Reaction Score
Well this certainly sucks. Great year, just can't deny how tough and gritty these Royals were. Simply put, they were tougher than our Mets. Simply weren't going to be denied.

Our fahking offense betrayed us though, and that is what is infuriating as this winds down.
Offense and defense betrayed them.

Reaction Score
KC would have won game 6 anyways they played this game with house money. KC made the plays and the Mets didnt.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Any ace pitcher is going to want to go out there to close it out, that's part of what makes them aces.
Yes, but the manager still has to make the right move. Two games in a row Collins made bad non-moves. With or 4 run or more lead you can mess around a little. Neither night did Collins have that luxury. Two losses that didn't have to be.

Reaction Score
Murphy.... mets move on? I kinda hope so. He is closer to butcher in the field than he is to the unreal slugger. That said he has always been a favorite of mine for his clutch at bats and toughness.

I just think they can get similar offensive production from Dilson Herrera and improved defense at the position. Murphy earned a nice pay day but Mets need to invest in a slugger.

Reaction Score
Yes, but the manager still has to make the right move. Two games in a row Collins made bad non-moves. With or 4 run or more lead you can mess around a little. Neither night did Collins have that luxury. Two losses that didn't have to be.
And Familia might have blown it again. Coulda woulda shoulda, the better team won.

Reaction Score
Murphy.... mets move on? I kinda hope so. He is closer to butcher in the field than he is to the unreal slugger. That said he has always been a favorite of mine for his clutch at bats and toughness.

I just think they can get similar offensive production from Dilson Herrera and improved defense at the position. Murphy earned a nice pay day but Mets need to invest in a slugger.
They just got Cespedes. Who, although largely responsible for getting the Mets into the playoffs, just vanished in October.

Reaction Score
They just got Cespedes. Who, although largely responsible for getting the Mets into the playoffs, just vanished in October.
Cespedes got them there but totally vanished and just seems like a boneheaded player.

Reaction Score
He did, but you need that bat that can carry you for long stretches in the regular season. The also need to find a way to improve middle relief. That was a painful end to a great year.

Reaction Score
Cespedes got them there but totally vanished and just seems like a boneheaded player.
He did, but you need that bat that can carry you for long stretches in the regular season. The also need to find a way to improve middle relief. That was a painful end to a great year.
I'm just saying he's the slugger you said the Mets need. Unless you mean there needs to be another. Duda was a half-decent secondary slugger

Reaction Score
I'm just saying he's the slugger you said the Mets need. Unless you mean there needs to be another. Duda was a half-decent secondary slugger
Wether its Cespedes or another player, any significant dollars that would go toward Murphy should go toward an offense carrying slugger. You can always slide Wilmer over to second if Herrera fails and improve defense at short in the process.

Reaction Score
Harvey pitching the 9th was fine. First baserunner and you pull him. He still was throwing 94 but he was missing high in the zone and that is a sign he was tiring.
Hosmer was out if Duda makes a decent throw. No way that throw wasn't an error but they didn't give him one.
KC as the better team in all areas except starting pitching. They deserved to win it.

Reaction Score
Harvey pitching the 9th was fine. First baserunner and you pull him. He still was throwing 94 but he was missing high in the zone and that is a sign he was tiring.
Hosmer was out if Duda makes a decent throw. No way that throw wasn't an error but they didn't give him one.
KC as the better team in all areas except starting pitching. They deserved to win it.
Hosmer got a decent jump, but a decent thrown still gets him. In the shot below, the ball is at d'Arnaud. If the throw is on the baseline, it's an easy tag.

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 6.23.07 AM.png

Also, d'Arnaud, learn to throw the ball to second base. He never gave our guys a chance at stopping the steal. Every single was an automatic double, if the Royals wanted it.

Reaction Score
On one hand, I really do believe the better team won....but on the other hand, wow did we have two really winnable games slip through our fingers.

Well, onto the offseason.

1) Assume Murphy is gone.
2) Assume they're not signing Cespedes.
3) Cuddyer? Is he cooked? Have to think Conforto is the every day LFer now.
4) Wish List? A 7th and 8th reliever combo that didn't make me sick to my stomach?

Reaction Score
Clippard was good at first, but was never the same after the back issue, Addison Reed was what would you expect from a late season cast off. Can Parnell be serviceable again after a full year off of Tommy John, will Mejia get another shot with the Mets or is he done? Cespedes came back to earth so maybe his price tag isn't out of the universe for the Mets. Problem is they have Brandon Nimmo waiting in the wings as well. I would honestly let Murphy walk. You can get similar production from cheaper alternatives within the organization. Problem I have is that I have no confidence in the sluggers Wright and Duda on the team. Hopefully Conforto and d'Arnaud become 15-20 HR guys to lessen the sting of not signing a Cespedes. Cuddyer will make a serviceable 4th outfielder and hopefully Lagares returns to form defensively and offensively. That is a lot of ifs for us Mets fans. The only thing we have for sure is starting pitching.

Reaction Score
Hosmer got a decent jump, but a decent thrown still gets him. In the shot below, the ball is at d'Arnaud. If the throw is on the baseline, it's an easy tag.

View attachment 10974

Also, d'Arnaud, learn to throw the ball to second base. He never gave our guys a chance at stopping the steal. Every single was an automatic double, if the Royals wanted it.

d'Arnaud is pretty darn good at pointing his glove hand at the pitcher after every pitch thrown, at least
he keeps that up, and his agent may demand that he be put on a point count and be shut down after so many pitches

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rough way for your season to end, and certainly more heartbreaking, but I'll remember this season for the rest of my life. Still love this team. And look where the Royals were one year ago today; just as heartbroken as we are. Hopefully Sandy goes out and improves the bullpen and we bring in a few bats and get right back here next year.

Reaction Score
Rough way for your season to end, and certainly more heartbreaking, but I'll remember this season for the rest of my life. Still love this team. And look where the Royals were one year ago today; just as heartbroken as we are. Hopefully Sandy goes out and improves the bullpen and we bring in a few bats and get right back here next year.
The Royals lost in game 7 with the tying run on 3B. Sure they were disappointed but it beats crapping the bed on defense for 5 games. Defense, base running and the bullpens were the difference in this series along with the Royals ability to put the ball in play against some very good Mets starting pitching.
I'd be surprised if the Mets resigned Cespedes. The coaches in Boston didn't like him when he was there because he refuses to listen to anyone. The guy has outstanding skills but unfortunately he doesn't have the head to go with it.
The Mets just have to pick up their defense and strengthen their bullpen and they may win their division again next year. Their outstanding starting pitching gives them a great nucleus to build around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Royals lost in game 7 with the tying run on 3B. Sure they were disappointed but it beats crapping the bed on defense for 5 games. Defense, base running and the bullpens were the difference in this series along with the Royals ability to put the ball in play against some very good Mets starting pitching.
Our defensive lapses definitely contributed, but remember that KC's vaunted defense made its share of errors, too, including Moustakas, Rios and Hosmer. They were able to overcome their errors and we didn't capitalize on them; and conversely they took full advantage almost every time we gave them an extra out.

It's cliche but they wanted it more. They played harder and smarter overall, and their post-season run-differential from the seventh inning on was just insane. That was a team on a mission.

But the series was closer than the final tally of games would indicate on its face imo. Not the same as losing in seven games, but still plenty close enough to give us lots of hope and things to learn from for next season.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if the Mets resigned Cespedes. The coaches in Boston didn't like him when he was there because he refuses to listen to anyone. The guy has outstanding skills but unfortunately he doesn't have the head to go with it.
The Mets just have to pick up their defense and strengthen their bullpen and they may win their division again next year. Their outstanding starting pitching gives them a great nucleus to build around.

Yeah, the Mets needed to do a better job catching the ball, there's no denying that, but you also have to score runs in order to win. Remember how bad our lineup was from May to July? If you just focus in improving defense and bullpen and ignore the offense, this team isn't going very far. I do agree that the bullpen and defense need improving, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom