The offense gets worse and worse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The offense gets worse and worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been saying it for a while, but the last time UConn ran an actual offense was 2009 . . . Maybe, just maybe, they can get back to an offensive style that doesn't excessively involve high ball screens, endless perimeter passing, and then 1 on 1 late in the shot clock leading to long jumpers.
Here's the thing though . . . .

What "offense" can be run when we have the following:

1 guy who can almost always create his own shot.
1 guy who can, most times, create his own shot but who is so small it is usually a contested shot.
1 guy who can hit wide open jumpers but is limited otherwise.
1 guy with a suspect shot who looks elegant driving on poor competition but challenged against top notch comp.
1 guy who can hit an open 3 if he's feeling it, can put it down and go to the rim, but is dicey at best.
1 guy who hasn't scored since 2013 and who averages a turnover every 1.7 minutes on the court.
3 big guys who can score if they either have an uncontested baby hook, a wide open 10 footer, or a dunk.
1 guy who drives nicely but is just a frosh.

Point is, as some spanish speakers say, you can dress a monkey in silk, but it's still a monkey.

To make it a bit more American - you can only put so much lipstick on this pig.

We just don't have the talent. Plain and simple. It's not Ollie. It's not the lack of an O scheme. It's not execution. It's not will or effort.

WE DON'T HAVE THE HORSES. Simple as that. We've done GREAT with what we have.

Put a 6/4 wing on this team who can catch and take the ball to the rim or pull up and shoot or shoot the 3 and we're final four, and every nit wit bashing the team or Ollie suddenly thinks we're the greatest team ever and Ollie is Wooden.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

W as that. We've done GREAT with what we have.

Put a 6/4 wing on this team who can catch and take the ball to the rim or pull up and shoot or shoot the 3 and we're final four, and every nit wit bashing the team or Ollie suddenly thinks we're the greatest team ever and Ollie is Wooden.

I'd prefer a 7' behemoth in the post who puts up 20/10 and 5blks a game. But we're quibbling at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Been saying it for a while, but the last time UConn ran an actual offense was 2009 (though winning a national championship in the meantime ain't too shabby). AJ had some big scoring games, but the 2009 team usually had 4 to 5 legitimate threats to score on the court, so there wasn't too much pressure on AJ to carry the entire load, unlike Kemba and Shabazz.

AJ was also an actual point guard. By that I mean, he knew how to run an offense, and understood how to run an offense against different defenses. And understood how to get guys shots off the ball. (Basically, understood the hockey assist.)

Bazz and Kemba are fantastic players. They have incredibly high bball IQs. But they aren't that type of point guard. And this team, and Kemba led teams, had players who can score. The problem is, they are all players who need help scoring..which is what running an offense is for. It's simply a mismatch between point and the rest of the team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
AJ was also an actual point guard. By that I mean, he knew how to run an offense, and understood how to run an offense against different defenses. And understood how to get guys shots off the ball. (Basically, understood the hockey assist.)

Bazz and Kemba are fantastic players. They have incredibly high bball IQs. But they aren't that type of point guard. And this team, and Kemba led teams, had players who can score. The problem is, they are all players who need help scoring..which is what running an offense is for. It's simply a mismatch between point and the rest of the team.

If AJP had been injury free, he would have been one of the best PGs to play at UConn (imo). He was a very good player.

I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten involved with lappies if he didn't have so much time on his hands.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Good point. If you re-watch games from that season, you could really see him out there directing traffic and making great passes to beat the zone. He knew how to break down every defense he faced.

In that sense, he's a better PG than Shabazz. But Shabazz is a better shooting guard.

Reaction Score
It is just so hard to have a consistent offense when you are so dependent on one player, especially if that player is the point guard. I expect our offense to be much more fluent next year and overall better

Reaction Score
If AJP had been injury free, he would have been one of the best PGs to play at UConn (imo). He was a very good player.

I'm assuming that he wouldn't have gotten involved with lappies if he didn't have so much time on his hands.

AJP still was one of the best pg in our history. He's my favorite husky ever. I've
Said it for years, he was the most underrated husky in a long time. He was a GREAT floor general and he could really score; get to the hoop and shoot. I think he was a better point guard than shabazz. Bazz may be the better overall player but aj was a great point guard. We could really use him

Reaction Score
Floor general is the right word. I'm not going to comment on who I think the better player is, because I'm pretty biased in that regard. (I happen to agree that AJ was one of the most underrated players we've had here. Likely because of the laptops..) But being a floor general is a skill, and it's just something Price excelled at.

I think there are ways to improve this situation, going further. But it does need to be addressed, particularly our offense against the zone. I still think this team can make a solid tourney run. Napier and Giffey played a huge role in our championship team. They are seniors now. I expect they'll play like it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
AJP still was one of the best pg in our history. He's my favorite husky ever. I've
Said it for years, he was the most underrated husky in a long time. He was a GREAT floor general and he could really score; get to the hoop and shoot. I think he was a better point guard than shabazz. Bazz may be the better overall player but aj was a great point guard. We could really use him

I used to always say "could have been THE best", but then Kemba came along and nixed that argument. So now when I say "one of the best", the point sounds wishy washy. ce la vie.

Reaction Score
I used to always say "could have been THE best", but then Kemba came along and nixed that argument. So now when I say "one of the best", the point sounds wishy washy. ce la vie.

Agreed. AJ is a great example of what could have been. Don't think we lose
To George mason in 06 with him for starters. He did manage to have a great career for us.

Reaction Score
Saying he got out coached today is just plain funny…….I mean of course he did because they got beat by 30………but it wasn't Rick vs KO here it was their talent vs ours, their big guys vs our pu* *es down low today, their guards and swings making shots while ours were plain awful, their guys running and making plays and ours setting up in half court because we can't rebound 'n ball and then to top it off both Boat and Bazz made awful decisions all game.

I'm not sure if anyone watched the same game as me but there was very little impact by the coaching…….one team's players came to play and executed the other's played scared and never hit anyone, just let them laugh all over the court and take wide open 3's………Huskies should be embarrassed on this flight home, not KO and the staff!

Does calling them p**sies make you feel better about yourself? I would take any one of them over an internet tough guy.

Reaction Score
Floor general is the right word. I'm not going to comment on who I think the better player is, because I'm pretty biased in that regard. (I happen to agree that AJ was one of the most underrated players we've had here. Likely because of the laptops..) But being a floor general is a skill, and it's just something Price excelled at.

I think there are ways to improve this situation, going further. But it does need to be addressed, particularly our offense against the zone. I still think this team can make a solid tourney run. Napier and Giffey played a huge role in our championship team. They are seniors now. I expect they'll play like it.

There's no denying Aj was a great player. I miss him a lot and he's exactly the type of player this team needs (obviously a big would help too). I hope you're right about the tourney run. I used to think that but lately I'm not so sure the way we've been playing. If we lose on Thursday were staring at a 8 or 9 seed and that doesn't look too good. Losing to l ville isn't the worst thing in the world. But going down like we did is just bad.

Reaction Score
Saying he got out coached today is just plain funny…….I mean of course he did because they got beat by 30………but it wasn't Rick vs KO here it was their talent vs ours, their big guys vs our pu* *es down low today, their guards and swings making shots while ours were plain awful, their guys running and making plays and ours setting up in half court because we can't rebound 'n ball and then to top it off both Boat and Bazz made awful decisions all game.

I'm not sure if anyone watched the same game as me but there was very little impact by the coaching…….one team's players came to play and executed the other's played scared and never hit anyone, just let them laugh all over the court and take wide open 3's………Huskies should be embarrassed on this flight home, not KO and the staff!

Wait what? Is it not literally the coaches job to make sure his players come out to play and execute??? We didn't show up, played so slow and disinterested. And that's not on coach??

Reaction Score

We just don't have the talent. Plain and simple. It's not Ollie. It's not the lack of an O scheme. It's not execution. It's not will or effort.

WE DON'T HAVE THE HORSES. Simple as that. We've done GREAT with what we have.

I'm not buying this. There are limitations, sure. But we're 101st in the country in offensive efficiency. Obviously, this isn't the showtime Lakers. But there are not 100 teams in the country with more offensive talent than us.

It makes it even harder to sit there and blame the talent when we were top 40 in offense as recently as a few weeks ago. In the last five games, we've failed to eclipse 60 three times, and those were blistering 61 and 69 point outings against South Florida and Rutgers, respectively.

For all the limitations, we have arguably the best point guard in the country and a bunch of guys who can at the very least spread the floor. We've gone from being an offense that was good enough to win to an offense that makes your eyes bleed, and we're approaching the two year mark now with this same core of players.

Reaction Score
After what transpired in the first half, I was disappointed that no real adjustments were made to break down the zone and press, and inbounding the ball shouldn't have been such a challenge. We kept going at Louisville the same way, and it generated the same results.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying this. There are limitations, sure. But we're 101st in the country in offensive efficiency. Obviously, this isn't the showtime Lakers. But there are not 100 teams in the country with more offensive talent than us.

It makes it even harder to sit there and blame the talent when we were top 40 in offense as recently as a few weeks ago. In the last five games, we've failed to eclipse 60 three times, and those were blistering 61 and 69 point outings against South Florida and Rutgers, respectively.

For all the limitations, we have arguably the best point guard in the country and a bunch of guys who can at the very least spread the floor. We've gone from being an offense that was good enough to win to an offense that makes your eyes bleed, and we're approaching the two year mark now with this same core of players.

Thank you. I'm so sick of everyone acting like this team is so depleted
Of talent. We have shabazz for one who is a first team all American. Boat Daniels and Omar are all top recruits. Giffey and kromah are really good role players. Amida and Phil are at least athletic, albeit very limited. As a whole we are a very experienced and old team. Kromah is a major upgrade over Evans. Bazz is way better than last year. We now have brimah Samuel and facey. Dd and RB are juniors. And we're no better than last year. That's not ok and shouldn't be the case.

I'm sick of people making excuses. Are we a team lacking size? Of course. But we have more than enough guards and wings to have a much better offense than the abysmal one weve had the past month. If we get killed down low fine then we should kill teams outside and on the wing. But that rarely happens. According to this board smu is a bad matchup because they grind it out and play slow. Well l ville is a bad matchup because they speed the game up and pressure us. Well what is a good matchup?? When are we ever going to be a bad matchup??

We come out flat basically every Game. Barely ever win a loose ball. We make no adjustments. I'm sick of the excuses on this board. This team has more than enough talent to beat smu and not lose to Louisville by 35. We're uconn.

Reaction Score
Of talent. We have shabazz for one who is a first team all American. Boat Daniels and Omar are all top recruits. Giffey and kromah are really good role players. Amida and Phil are at least athletic, albeit very limited. As a whole we are a very experienced and old team. Kromah is a major upgrade over Evans. Bazz is way better than last year. We now have brimah Samuel and facey. Dd and RB are juniors. And we're no better than last year. That's not ok and shouldn't be the case.

I'm sick of people making excuses. Are we a team lacking size? Of course. But we have more than enough guards and wings to have a much better offense than the abysmal one weve had the past month. If we get killed down low fine then we should kill teams outside and on the wing. But that rarely happens. According to this board smu is a bad matchup because they grind it out and play slow. Well l ville is a bad matchup because they speed the game up and pressure us. Well what is a good matchup?? When are we ever going to be a bad matchup??

We come out flat basically every Game. Barely ever win a loose ball. We make no adjustments. I'm sick of the excuses on this board. This team has more than enough talent to beat smu and not lose to Louisville by 35. We're uconn.

Honestly, I like Kevin Ollie as a person, a past player, and even a recruiter, but as a HC he is not very good. I understand he is new to this role and he can get better in time but right now the majority of UConn's problems start with him. He is an awful "in game coach", never makes adjustments(how many times have they been outscored in the 2nd half), is so stubborn on running his "pro style" pick and roll offense and nothing else.

Reaction Score
Does calling them p**sies make you feel better about yourself? I would take any one of them over an internet tough guy.

Hey art. #1 please say something worth while on occasion…….and 2 they played like pu**ies, never hit anyone and let them laugh their way to a 35 point win. Is it not true or did you watch a different game? Not an internet tough guy as you say just telling the truth. If pu**ies is a little rough for you then maybe you need to grow up……..

Reaction Score
Honestly, I like Kevin Ollie as a person, a past player, and even a recruiter, but as a HC he is not very good. I understand he is new to this role and he can get better in time but right now the majority of UConn's problems start with him. He is an awful "in game coach", never makes adjustments(how many times have they been outscored in the 2nd half), is so stubborn on running his "pro style" pick and roll offense and nothing else.

Wow Amidah always a project and KO is not very good coach? Where do we get these people? Seriously wtf do you know about the game that tells you he's not a very good coach? He needs to improve in areas but this team is not very well rounded talented wise and anyone not able to see that isn't very intelligent!

Man I was in a better mood after the game than reading some of this crap our fans throw out…...

Reaction Score
Wait what? Is it not literally the coaches job to make sure his players come out to play and execute??? We didn't show up, played so slow and disinterested. And that's not on coach??

If a kid can't get up to play his last regular season game at LVille he shouldn't be wearing the uniform. Ollie took the blame and he's wrong……his AA PG was awful and literally quit…….his other guard who is the only other guy who can actually put it on the floor 5 times without getting it taken from him was awful and his bigs watched harrell make a joke of them with out even a tap on the shoulder……their freaking basketball players and should have enough pride to do this without KO's advice…..

People here are whacked!!

Reaction Score
The only think I'll put on Ollie is that as they year has gone on, the team has not really improved. What we were in December /January, we still are now, and other, even lesser teams, have gotten better or at least have figured out a way to slow the offense. In January we put up 90 and 82 on Temple and Rutgers in consecutive games, now its 68 and 69. This team is struggling, especially on offense, because its gotten no better. I think we can put at least some of that on KO.

pj

Reaction Score
Of talent. We have shabazz for one who is a first team all American. Boat Daniels and Omar are all top recruits. Giffey and kromah are really good role players. Amida and Phil are at least athletic, albeit very limited.

It is not depleted of talent, but it is depleted of size, strength, speed, and athleticism. It is rich in skill. If the officials call a tight game this team can play with anyone. If they allow big, strong, fast players to muscle you all over the court, we can get crushed. Unfortunately, to win a championship you have to be able to will at all styles. This team has its Achilles heel and its name is Louisville.

Reaction Score
This team depends on 3 pointers, steals, and foul shots to score points, and when that's not happening, it's a struggle. You can't watch these guys play offense lately and like what you see. I can't speak to whether that's talent, effort, or coaching, but any talk at this point of some type magical run of is delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom