The Offense and Recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Offense and Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, this post is horrendous.

How many real legitimate NBA players did we play through?

#9 St. Joes - Zero
#2 Nova - Zero
#3 Iowa State - Zero (Niang, marginal, hurt)
#4 MSU - some?(Appling - marginal, was hurt... Adreian Payne - marginal... Gary Harris - Marginal... Denzel Valentine - TBD)
#1 Florida - 1?(Scotty Wilbekin - marginal?)
#8 Kentucky - 1(Julius Randle- Good player, was hurt... HarrisonX2 - Marginal...James Young... marginal/TBD)

So to emphasize again, we ran into exactly zero consensus 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team All-Americans, only 1 player with any decent NBA career/talent.

AGAIN, I'M NOT HATING ON WINNING THE SHIP. Just saying that it was a flukey run! we had a great player than carried other good/ok players. But that is flukey!

Reaction Score
2004 championship run:
1) 16 seed
2) DePaul
3) Vandy
4) Alabama (complete mismatch, game was over at halftime)

We beat the presumed best team in the country in the semifinals by 10 points. If their guard play was so shaky as you tried to point out before, then why didn't that matter in their other 35 games that year?

Ok I'll play. Look at their record. 40 games, only 7 against ranked teams and they went 4-3. The lost to teams with good guards, period. They played in the SEC, they had 1 shooter and won with physicality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Florida_Gators_men's_basketball_team

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

#9 St. Joes - Zero
#2 Nova - Zero
#4 MSU - some?(Appling - marginal, was hurt... Adreian Payne - marginal... Gary Harris - Marginal... Denzel Valentine - TBD)
#8 Kentucky - 1(Julius Randle- Good player, was hurt... HarrisonX2 - Marginal...James Young... marginal/TBD)

So to emphasize again, we ran into exactly zero consensus 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team All-Americans, only 1 player with any decent NBA career/talent.

AGAIN, I'M NOT HATING ON WINNING THE SHIP. Just saying that it was a flukey run! we had a great player than carried other good/ok players. But that is flukey!
Probably time for you to change the subject now

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

#9 St. Joes - Zero
#2 Nova - Zero

Keep digging deeper, you sound so foolish.

Reaction Score
The fact that all of you(apparently) think that a #7 seeded team that got a good draw winning a national championship is not flukey is pretty embarrassing, particularly that in an alternate universe where St. Joes grabs 1 rebound you would be talking about whether Kevin Ollie deserves another year to prove he can coach.

Reaction Score

#9 St. Joes - Zero
#2 Nova - Zero

We had more than a great player that carried us....Bazz/Boat/Daniels/Giff/Brimah pretty solid core & Boat's D during Tourney was awesome. I think we could have beaten anyone we played that year in the Tourney....trying to analyze the eventual pro level talent on Tourney foes in hindsight doesn't do the run justice.

Reaction Score
The fact that all of you(apparently) think that a #7 seeded team that got a good draw winning a national championship is not flukey is pretty embarrassing, particularly that in an alternate universe where St. Joes grabs 1 rebound you would be talking about whether Kevin Ollie deserves another year to prove he can coach.

I guess Duke got a pretty favorable draw last year.....they avoided the consensus #1 team in the country.

Something we were not lucky enough to do in 2014.

Reaction Score

#9 St. Joes - Zero
#2 Nova - Zero

Keep moving those goalposts.

Reaction Score
I guess Duke got a pretty favorable draw last year.....they avoided the consensus #1 team in the country.

Something we were not lucky enough to do in 2014.
Yup. Any way you slice it, it takes some luck to win a title.

Example? In 1996 we beat Mississippi State if Ricky doesn't get hurt, and probably cruise into the title game against UK (what a game that would have been). In 2009 I think we get past Michigan State with a healthy Dyson, and what happens in 2006 if AJ doesn't have that brain condition/serve a year's suspension for the laptop stuff? Every team in those four years got lucky with injuries/absences on our part.

In 2014 we got lucky with Niang - I think Iowa State would've beaten us if they were whole. We got lucky avoiding Louisville, who were a bad matchup for us. We got lucky against St. Joe's.

In other words, karma came back around. That's how titles are won.

PS - Part of why I hold '99 sacred is because it involved no luck. We were just the best team in the country that year, and if we'd played Duke for the title 10 times we'd have won 9 of them.

Reaction Score
This poster is funny in how he trivializes the college-impact of guys who aren't awesome in the NBA, when the best player in the country that year, who happened to play for UCONN, isn't doing jack in the NBA.

Reaction Score
This poster is funny in how he trivializes the college-impact of guys who aren't awesome in the NBA, when the best player in the country that year, who happened to play for UCONN, isn't doing jack in the NBA.
As if a player like Khalid El-Amin was worthless.

Reaction Score

who was the best player we faced during this run?

Reaction Score
AAAAHHHHH.....Stop! Best player in terms of what....how big a superstar they are in the NBA? Go back and look at the history of CBB players of the year & NCAA Tourney MVP's....not loads of NBA superstars on those lists.

Almost any championship run in any sport involves some amount luck & good fortune....just let it go.

Reaction Score

You aren't getting it. Please, since I don't have the time, can you scour the rosters of all teams we played in that tournament run, list all the All-Conference players and then argue that we didn't face any talent?

Reaction Score
AAAAHHHHH.....Stop! Best player in terms of what....how big a superstar they are in the NBA? Go back and look at the history of CBB players of the year & NCAA Tourney MVP's....not loads of NBA superstars on those lists.

Almost any championship run in any sport involves some amount luck & good fortune....just let it go.

Compare to 2011

derrick williams, 1st team AA and top 3 pick. decent NBA player
Terrence Jones - solid NBA starter
Brandin Knight - borderline All-star
Kawhi Leonard All-America, NBA defensive player of the year, MVP candidate

Reaction Score
Compare to 2011

Who cares....the NBA & CBB are totally different games....up until very recently the best HS basketball players skipped college all together and went straight to the NBA, even now the "best" college players leave after 1 year.

You can't judge College basketball teams just on NBA talent on the roster....experience, coaching, systems are huge in CBB.

Reaction Score
You aren't getting it. Please, since I don't have the time, can you scour the rosters of all teams we played in that tournament run, list all the All-Conference players and then argue that we didn't face any talent?
Yeah, was just gonna say each team we went up against had at least one player on their league's first team rosters.

St. Joe's - Langston Galloway
Villanova - James Bell
Iowa State - Melvin Ejim & DeAndre Kane (Ejim was Big 12 POTY & Kane was Newcomer of the Year)
Michigan State - Gary Harris
Florida - Casey Prather & Scottie Wilbekin (Wilbekin was SEC POTY)
Kentucky - Julius Randle

Reaction Score
Compare to 2011

You're making it worse. Future NBA success has absolutely nothing to do with this argument.

By your logic, our 2009 team was nothing special (other than freshman year Kemba, I guess).

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Ok I'll play. Look at their record. 40 games, only 7 against ranked teams and they went 4-3. The lost to teams with good guards, period. They played in the SEC, they had 1 shooter and won with physicality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Florida_Gators_men's_basketball_team

Ok, so we were 2 of the three losses. The other was @Wisconsin who is very good at home and one of ours was a buzzer beater. So basically if we didn't exist they are most likely 38-1 and national champions. How can they possibly be marginalized even while playing in the SEC?

While I agree our 2014 run was unexpected, it certainly wasn't fluky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom