The Offense and Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Offense and Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Could it be the offense seems so rudderless because of what happened with the APR probation a few years ago, plus the Calhoun transition, which resulted in the Omar Calhoun, Facey, Samuel classes? Samuel had big moments against Villanova in the tourney, and I wouldn't trade those moments for anything, but the fact that he wasn't the heir apparent at PG, and that he ended up transferring, really means that the baton was not handed over from Napier/Boatright to a PG who would then hand it over to Adams/Gilbert. We're missing our upperclassman PG who should be running the offense right now.

Gibbs is great but he is just now learning what Ollie wants. He hasn't had 3 years here.

I'm not even sure who the options were. Xavier Rathan-Mayes? Stevie Clark? The Graham kid at Kansas? And if it wasn't for scholarship reductions because of APR, then Kris Dunn?

The black hole year is still being felt.
Thank You
When Ollie took over the future was bleak.
In my opinion the NCAA in their not totally unwarranted vitriol for JC tried to destroy him and UConn basketball was collateral damage. I think many Uconn fans had zero appreciation for the precarious position we were and are still in.
To make matters even worse,the UConn penalties happened to occur in the era of Conference Realighment which needs no explanation.
In many respects the job Ollie has done is almost as impressive as JC. At least JC had the Benifit of playing in the top BB conference in the country,a luxury denied KO. To be fair KO does have the Benifit of an established brand ,but in this era brands get forgotten really quickly.

Reaction Score
Flukes? Both seasons we had the best player in the tournament. Both seasons we beat a murderers row to win the whole thing. Not a fluke. Just came together at the right time in 2014. 2011 was a great team. See upstater's post above.

The simple fact is, in the last six years, what other team would you rather trade places with? Tell me. I'd rather have UCONNs record/outcome in the last 6 than any other team in America. Last 7, I'll obviously take Duke. But that's it. There is no perfection.

Call it what you want. I'll remind you that our path in 2014 was as follows:

#9 St Joes - we were a brimah put-back and-1 away from losing that game.
#2 Villanova - we all knew at the time and know now 'nova was by far the weakest #2 seed in that tourney. They were much closer to a 5 than a 2. No Pros on that team BTW.
#3 Iowa State - Without their best player, Niang had a broken foot or something.
#4 Michigan State - Game held in Gampel... Sorry MSG.
#1 Florida - a team we had already beaten AND had awful guard play. Like our wet dream matchup for 'Bazz/Boat
#8 Kentucky - a team that had no guard play consisting of freshman that 'Bazz/Boat again ate alive

Point is this. I don't know why you are misconstruing the point I made. We won two 'ships. That's awesome, i went to Dallas to the 2014 game. But, as we move forward and get truly past the turmoil of the transition(recruiting, scholly reductions, etc) we should see the consistency and stability match the streaky ability of our team to play great tournament basketball.

Or, you can just freak out because I used the words fluke(which it kinda was).

Reaction Score

#2 Villanova - we all knew at the time and know now 'nova was by far the weakest #2 seed in that tourney. They were much closer to a 5 than a 2. No Pros on that team BTW.
#3 Iowa State - Without their best player, Niang had a broken foot or something.
#1 Florida - a team we had already beaten AND had awful guard play. Like our wet dream matchup for 'Bazz/Boat
#8 Kentucky - a team that had no guard play consisting of freshman that 'Bazz/Boat again ate alive

Point is this. I don't know why you are misconstruing the point I made. We won two 'ships. That's awesome, i went to Dallas to the 2014 game. But, as we move forward and get truly past the turmoil of the transition(recruiting, scholly reductions, etc) we should see the consistency and stability match the streaky ability of our team to play great tournament basketball.

You just described every single NCAA tournament ever. Very few teams win without escaping a last second win.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Right, that Florida team had such awful guard play. Maybe that's why they blitzed every team all season.
Hard to believe an actual UConn fan would wave away such an amazing tournament run, but here we are.

Reaction Score
Right, that Florida team had such awful guard play. Maybe that's why they blitzed every team all season.
Hard to believe an actual UConn fan would wave away such an amazing tournament run, but here we are.
Yeah the team that went 36-3? What a cakewalk matchup. Not even sure how they got in the tourney

Reaction Score

Are you kidding? Michigan State was the popular pick to win it all when we played them. After we dispatched MSU, Florida was the popular pick to win it all. That was a very tough path to the title.

caw

Reaction Score
You just described every single NCAA tournament ever. Very few teams win without escaping a last second win.

Just to see if I can:
Get a weak 16 seed in the first round
Get the 9 seed in the second round
Get the 5th seed in the third
Get the freaking tenth seed in the fourth and almost lose
Get the only non-1 seed in the final four, with an awful front court (luckily enough)
Almost lose while getting a few lucky calls to end the game

Your 1999 38-2 NC Huskies.

Reaction Score

Lol wow. Florida was unquestionably the best team in the country all year and Michigan State was many people's sleeper pick to win the whole thing. And not for nothing, but Kentucky was favored in that championship game. But yeah, real easy draw.

Reaction Score

Ugh, delicious homerism on the board today. Death to rational discussion and reasonable conclusions!

We've averaged 23-12 for the past 7 seasons, zero conference championships, and 1 tournament championship. Yea, we won 2 NCAA titles, too. I'm just saying, now that we're past the turmoil, coaching changes, transfers, NCAA penalties, graduation rates, and conference disasters, maybe we can have a more stable, consistent program.

What do you say, fellas?

Reaction Score
Just to see if I can:
Get a weak 16 seed in the first round
Get the 9 seed in the second round
Get the 5th seed in the third
Get the freaking tenth seed in the fourth and almost lose
Get the only non-1 seed in the final four, with an awful front court (luckily enough)
Almost lose while getting a few lucky calls to end the game

Your 1999 38-2 NC Huskies.

Yes, 38-2. #1 seed. Thanks for making my point. Expected to win all those games.

Reaction Score
Lol wow. Florida was unquestionably the best team in the country all year and Michigan State was many people's sleeper pick to win the whole thing. And not for nothing, but Kentucky was favored in that championship game. But yeah, real easy draw.

yes, we were the underdog to a #8 seed in the NCAA Tournament Final. That's flukey. Thank you for making my point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
never seen a fan try to break down why their favorite teams best accomplishments are actually flukes like I have ITT.

Well, if that's the way it's gonna be, I'm firmly putting all my chips in the lucky bin and hope for the best!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Michigan State was the popular pick to win it all when we played them. After we dispatched MSU, Florida was the popular pick to win it all. That was a very tough path to the title.

Frankly, it might be one of the toughest paths to a title UCONN has ever had.

Reaction Score

Wow, this post is horrendous.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ugh, delicious homerism on the board today. Death to rational discussion and reasonable conclusions!

We've averaged 23-12 for the past 7 seasons, zero conference championships, and 1 tournament championship. Yea, we won 2 NCAA titles, too. I'm just saying, now that we're past the turmoil, coaching changes, transfers, NCAA penalties, graduation rates, and conference disasters, maybe we can have a more stable, consistent program.

What do you say, fellas?

All the points of rational discussion and reasonable conclusions are being (well) made against the 'fluke' thing. Nobody is questioning your fandom. Nobody is saying we couldn't be more consistent in the regular season. But those championships weren't luck. They required a little bit, as all championship runs do, but those were the most devastating teams in the tournament, with the best player winning it all.

The greatest stroke of luck we received in those two tournaments was Louisville being on the other side of the bracket (and getting knocked out) in 2014. I just don't think we could beat them that year.

Reaction Score
never seen a fan try to break down why their favorite teams best accomplishments are actually flukes like I have ITT.
Dude is a moron, that was close to as tough a gauntlet you'll see a team have to through for a title.

Reaction Score
Part of this is the nature of college basketball. With one and dones and senior transfers, the landscape changes dramatically every year. At the elite level there are fewer and fewer four year players for everyone. That has a huge effect on continuity and consistency. It effects everyone but for what ever reason, it has really turned UConn into a roller coaster.

While I would love to see more consistency of high level play, it will be very difficult if the environment doesn't change. However, the NCAA should still be our floor. And the key is to be ready when our opportunities for greatness are there.

Reaction Score
Not sure why posters are calling you out for telling it like it is. You are spot on.

Just because we won 2 national championships in the past 5 years does not mean the program has been close to dominant. We hit the jackpot in terms of Kemba and Shabazz... we can't keep counting on our guards to take over and produce like those types of guys, it's simply not sustainable. Part of the reason I think Boat and and Sterling have gotten unfair criticism from this board is because of their inability to live up to Kemba/Shabazz status, which is outrageous to expect.

The fact is, if KO can keep recruiting like he has been the past 2 years, we will have a shot at returning to dominance as early as next year. By dominance, I mean consistently in the high end of the top 25, national title contenders, and in the front runners for winning our league (especially if we're in the American).

Newsflash: you kind of need players like that to win a title. Call it a jackpot if you want.

Every time we've won a national championship we've had guys like that. In the last 10 years, '10 Duke and '08 Kansas are the only national championship teams that haven't had one of the 5 best players in the country on their team.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Outside of getting into the tourney, why would being like Syracuse be desirable?

Reaction Score
Getting pretty tired of this idea that the recruiting in the past 3-4 years happened in a vacuum, as if everything was going along just fine and all the sudden the bottom fell out of our recruiting and we ended up with some holes.
Let's just forget that we were hit with recruiting sanctions, the dissolution of our conference, a completely bogus postseason ban, and the retirement of one of the best coaches in the history of the game.
And in the meantime, during this downtime, we won two g@#%#m national championships, which posters like you are more than happy to "yeah, but" all day. "Yeah, we won a title, but,... "
It's ridiculous, and it's embarrassing. A national title is the holy grail, something fans of this team waited seemingly an eternity for, and now we've made it seem routine. There are elite teams that have never sniffed the kind of run we've been on, all while dealing with absolutely everything the college basketball world could possibly throw at us.
But go ahead, tell us again about how deeply concerned you are.

I never said there weren't extenuating circumstances to explain the horrible recruiting, and I never applied qualifiers to those two championships. You're reading something that isn't there.

My point is very simple. If we have sub-par rosters and mediocre regular seasons like we have the past 5 years, we are not going to continue to win championships in the future. Period. Just because it worked out that way before, doesn't mean it's a reliable MO going forward. That's all.

Put another way: which of these hypothetical programs is more likely to win a championship over the next 5 years:
A) Conference champions, wire-to-wire Top 10, #1 or #2 seed every year
B) Up and down in conference, fringe Top 25, usually #5-8 seed

You can say "well, Kansas hasn't won a championship this decade, while we've won 2" and that would be correct. But in terms of predicting future performance, you go with the team that's highly ranked year in and year out. It's not more complicated than that.

That said, I fully expect that with recruiting on an upswing, we're not going to have to have this discussion in 3 years. With recruiting back to "normal", we should be able to reassert our status as a perennial contender, with great-to-dominant regular seasons that portend deep runs in the Tournament.

Reaction Score

You could spin those results anyway you want to.Using words like fluke are always an indicator of lack of an actual objective fact.
These are the facts
We were a 7 seed and in the first round faced the hottest team and Conference Champs of a pretty good A10. Remember Dayton was a sweet 16 team that year.
They where hot and experienced. We had won nothing.
Nova was a soft 2 but Big East Champs, they had actually beaten us the year before.
We pretty much blew them out in the second half.
Next we played a terrific Iowa State team who had beaten North Carolina in their last game without their alleged star.
Then we played MSU Big Ten Champs and almost everyone's pick to win it all.
The crowd all though pro UConn was nowhere near the factor our guard play on defense was., breaking down the vaunted MSU guards
Next we played the undisputed best team and SEC champs and number 1 team in the country ,who we beat on our home court while they were allegedly short handed
We broke down there guards so effectly you could see the confidence being sucked out of them. They were a beaten team
The only break we got was against a overrated but red hot Ky team that if we didn't get in early foul trouble, would have been a blow out
Fluke we played the number 1 team ,the consensus pick, the hottest team in the A10,and actually a decent Nova team a 28-8 ISU team ,plus the great Ky juggernaut.
That's as tough a schedule as anyone has had to win it all.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I never said there weren't extenuating circumstances to explain the horrible recruiting,
It's implied. And it's not just this post.
And really, horrible recruiting? The last two years we pulled in Adams and Hamilton, among others. Go ahead and knock the Brimah class but we got some useful pieces that year. Omar Calhoun was a good get.
UMass has horrible recruiting. Rutgers has horrible recruiting. Even at our low point, we don't, but the fact that you use that word speaks volumes.

Reaction Score

What do you say, fellas?

Your post is absurd. Go back to the favorites to win the NCAA tournament prior to the tournament beginning. UConn beat 3 of the top 10 favorites including #1 and #2.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/03/odds_to_win_national_title_in.html

Reaction Score
yes, we were the underdog to a #8 seed in the NCAA Tournament Final. That's flukey. Thank you for making my point.

We beat the presumed best team in the country in the semifinals by 10 points. If their guard play was so shaky as you tried to point out before, then why didn't that matter in their other 35 games that year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3