the nyc myth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

the nyc myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kids and parents are getting influenced by this push syracuse is trying to make into the city. i started this thread for a reason that none here know and it has served its purpose.

the random thoughts in me would say uconn is more of nys team than cuse. i bet if u looked at sports rosters we would stack up quite well vs cuse with ny kids #'s and nyc kids #'s.

nyc is exploding with talent in fball and baseball. bball is bball. we will land some of the best and other will get away. for every kemba there will be a noah(yes that ugly as mofo). we are on the verge baseball wise of being top dog in the region and keeping the best prospects home vs the acc/sec. fball is on its way also. its a battle worth fighting if i were uconn between the recruits, short distance which ='s tix sold to games and the tv viewers, there a lot to fight for.

some simple truths in this battle can go a long way for any parent or kid looking at it with level eyes. those eyes will find out that uconn is large and in charge. a sign in yankee stadium is a sign in yankee stadium. its good advertising but also bull ****. can you take that sign out to dinner and Fecundity it later? no, its a piece of metal. it wont get u to the nba or the nfl or the mlb. because cuse can't handle that ****. uconns resume and success speaks for itself without a sign, but the overall false perception cuse has been trying to push down state will not fly with me.

and before so idiot yells hey melo nyc come on man blah blah. the guy was born in nyc and lived in baltimore. stop drinking the knicks coming home bull **** and wake the Fecundity up. they just wanted to play that stupid song by p diddy and play it up to no end. didn't that d bag drop the p anyway? hope his son kills it out west. not!

"Methinks thou doth protest too much". :rolleyes:
-Billy Shakespeare-

Reaction Score
First time posting, live in New York and starting to see increase in football talent last few years, UConn doing nice job, from reading the sites they know all the top players in area, Maxpreps released Preseason NY all state team (attached) and UConn has two commits vs one for Cuse and Huskies have three NY state High school commits vs. two for Cuse (they also have one juco) and have shot for a few more inlcuded some of the rivals top ten from NY who have not committed (attached), so the tide is turning.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/1u6MwF...ew-york-preseason-all-state-football-team.htm.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3115

Reaction Score
You would think Rutgers would nood to win something before it's relevant anywhere.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
While it is funny to see a rutgers fan feel the need to reference those numbers dissing syracuse on a UConn board, some of those numbers will probably be part of the BE's presentation to NBC/Fox.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Geez Blitz, do you need to write a book every time you post.

You know... you are the 2nd person to say that to me in the past 2 weeks... I had the same thing said to me on the Arkansas board (Hogville: Monday morning QB http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=491595.0) where there is a 19 page, 820 post, thread started by RutgersAl... I guess I can get a little carried away when posting... :p

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
You would think Rutgers would nood to win something before it's relevant anywhere.

The funny thing is, it hasn't been nessecary if you look at the numbers... All that was needed was an annual bowl team to get those results... We actually win something of substance (BCS game) and we'll have the NYC and Philly DMAs eating out of the palm of our hand BETTER then what we had in 2006...

Here is the NYC and Philly DMAs for your reference...

http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/City Maps/New York.gif
New%20York.gif

Reaction Score
I understand. Must be why the Big Ten continues to beg you guys to come on board.

Oh, btw, win something, anything..........just for the duck of it......

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
I understand. Must be why the Big Ten continues to beg you guys to come on board.

Oh, btw, win something, anything..........just for the duck of it......
Don't worry... this year we'll win the BE and a BCS bowl... I am VERY confident about that... :D

I don't see any BE teams scoring many passing TDs on us this year... Last year our back 7 allowed 8 passing TDs... This year I don't think they allow more then 5 passing TDs (2 of them by Arkansas)... Our DL should be better vs the run as well since our DL is an upgrade from last year... OL is also an upgrade from last year which will make our running and passing game much better... and we finally have more then two capable running backs this year. Part of the problem with the UConn game was that all 3 of our backs Huggins, Jamison, Deering were injured with Jamison playing sporadically while injuried. Putting too much pressure on the QBs...

We're a MUCH improved team top to bottom from last year's 9-4 team... Anything less then 10-3 this year will be a HUGE disappointment to many of our fans... And YES we are keeping the same schemes on offense and defense so there shouldn't be any drop off there especially with our current DC (Robb Smith) being the one to help scheme our 2011 #14 defense...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is perfect
-cuse gets no tv ratings and its taken us 10 years and we have passed them.
-rutgers over those 100 years and being closest has built themselves a nice fanbase. but becuase they never win ANYTHING the whole puzzle will never come together.

this is exactly why its possible for uconn to put the pressure on and become #1. lets see tv ratings in the winter. ppl watch uconn bball. and now there going to start to watch uconn fball and we will rise. its no accident that nyc kids are picking uconn all of a sudden.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, Rutgers does appear well positioned for a good season and played some good football last season. I was surprised we finally managed a W against you guys last year, especially the way we did it.

Schiano did great things for that program, but I'm not sure he wasn't a liability when the clock started. We'll see.

Reaction Score
so if the b10 added rutgers, uconn nd and some 1 maybe a kansas or w/e

would it be fair to say the b10 owns NYC? seems so. they would dominate fball and still have the best property in uconn bball in the winter.

No. Syracuse would still own NYC because they have a sign in Yankee Stadium and Jim Brown farted on 42nd Street once.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, Rutgers does appear well positioned for a good season and played some good football last season. I was surprised we finally managed a W against you guys last year, especially the way we did it.

Schiano did great things for that program, but I'm not sure he wasn't a liability when the clock started. We'll see.
Yeah... 6 TOs and lack of a running game (Jamison got injured early in the game, playing sporadically throughout the game injured, and our other 2 backs were injured prior to the game) will do that... Especially with our anemic passing attack...

Also we played 9 straight games without a bye... that also contributed to it imo... Not to mention our kick and punt coverage was terrible last year (it still wan't fixed for the pinstripe bowl either... smh)... iirc all of your points were due to short fields due to TOs or excellent kick/punt returns on special teams...

Thankfully we now have 2 more capable RBs in 2 rFr (Ben Martin, Paul James) that will solidify the RB depth with Deering back at WR/KR/Saftey... The OL is MUCH better this year and should give us an average (maybe above average by the end of the year) run and pass offense this year to go along with our top 10 defense...

This is probably the best Rutgers team since 2006... likely better with more talented depth across the board... We were actually VERY lucky not to get many injuries in 2006 because our depth was atrocious across the board on that team... That was the reason we dropped off after that season (graduation/NFL - 22 players on that team's 3 deep went on to play in the NFL)... Our quality depth is the best it has ever been this season... we won't be having a drop off from 2012 to 2013 even with a lot of our defensive back 7 graduating/making the NFL after this season...

Reaction Score
Yeah... 6 TOs and lack of a running game (Jamison got injured early in the game, playing sporadically throughout the game injured, and our other 2 backs were injured prior to the game) will do that... Also we played 9 straight games without a bye... that also contributed to it imo... Not to mention our kick and punt coverage was terrible last year (it still wan't fixed for the pinstripe bowl either... smh)... iirc all of your points were due to short fields due to TOs or excellent kick/punt returns on special teams...

Thankfully we now have 2 more capable RBs in 2 rFr (Ben Martin, Paul James) that will solidify the RB depth with Deering back at WR/KR/Saftey...

This is ridiculous. UConn flat out kicked Rutgers' ass last year. It would've been way worse if Pasqualoni decided not to call off the dogs starting in the third quarter.

Face it, P owns Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Yeah... 6 TOs and lack of a running game (Jamison got injured early in the game, playing sporadically throughout the game injured, and our other 2 backs were injured prior to the game) will do that... Also we played 9 straight games without a bye... that also contributed to it imo... Not to mention our kick and punt coverage was terrible last year (it still wan't fixed for the pinstripe bowl either... smh)... iirc all of your points were due to short fields due to TOs or excellent kick/punt returns on special teams...

Thankfully we now have 2 more capable RBs in 2 rFr (Ben Martin, Paul James) that will solidify the RB depth with Deering back at WR/KR/Saftey...

I see...........

We were completely healthy and very lucky, with a walk-on QB and frosh RB and a defense from last season that comes back just about in its entirety.

Oh, that kick / punt returner..........he's back too.

We'll be lucky to hang with Rutgers this season given how unlucky you guys were last season.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. UConn flat out kicked Rutgers' ass last year. It would've been way worse if Pasqualoni decided not to call off the dogs starting in the third quarter.

Face it, P owns Rutgers.
I don't deny that... However that "ass kicking" was due to your excellent special teams play, our lack of run game due to injury and winning the TO battle 6-1 iirc...

Here is my prediction for this year's UConn game

October 6: #20 Rutgers vs UCONN W 27-23 {5-0(2-0)}
RU: 2 Rushing TDs, 1 Passing TD, 2 FGs [Blackout Game]
UC: 1 Rushing TD, 1 STs/Defensive TD, 3 FGs

Reaction Score
Good lord.

Rutgers swallowed the duck'n football last season at the Rent. They came in with a conferense title and BCS birth potentially on the line and played flat. UCONN physically beat the out of them. Com'on, everybody beat up by that time of the season. Sounds like a Syracuse fan.

Rutgers fans love those recruiting sites and all the stars and believe they have all this talent. Bottom line. UCONN and Rutgers have comparable talent and UCONN has done more with it. See conferense titles and BCS bowl appearances.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Rutgers will be very strong this year, but like South Florida they have to prove it on the field. A win at Arkansas would wake the whole country up. Go get em! Then when UConn wins at Rutgers, it will be even more impressive.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
it may not be a gem of a article. but this guy is seeing it. its happeing in bball and fball.

rutgers never wins anything
sju is old private school bball news
cuse is upstate ny's private school of choice after 2 other better schools.
uconn=nyc

Reaction Score
I just don't get this obsession with being NYC's college team. At all. Not sure what I'm missing but I could care less. UConn is CT's team. That's is more than good enough for me.

pj

Reaction Score
Connecticut's team = enough talent to be a midlevel Big East. Connecticut + NYC's team = enough talent to contend for Big East championships. Connecticut + NYC's team + national following and respect = enough talent to contend for national championship playoffs.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I just don't get this obsession with being NYC's college team. At all. Not sure what I'm missing but I could care less. UConn is CT's team. That's is more than good enough for me.

viewers
-nyc has only a small population that watches cb or cf. that small population is still bigger than every other market

prospects
-where better to recruit for bball, i dont think i need to expand on this
-fball is blowing up in the city, were recruiting the hell out of it. it time u will see it. its a good thing

fans/alum
-we are so close
-msg/pinstripe...

within the next couple years i wouldn't be suprised if our football roster was 50% nyc/ne kids. thats a big deal.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I understand those points just not the constant pissing contest between Cuse, Rutgers, and us. I don't see Maryland and WVU fans arguing about who is DC's college football team. That's the part that just seems silly to me. CT doesn't need to latch on to NYC to be nationally relevant.

I agree that it's great to get NYC recruits and to have New Yorkers interested in attending UConn and being casual fans, but it would make no sense for us to really try to market a school in Storrs, CT as NYC's.

Rutgers is in the NYC metro and media market. Cuse is in NY state. IMO both have more of a claim to NY and NYC than we do. UConn is the state school of CT. CT is close to NY and part of CT is in the NYC metro and media market so it's not a complete stretch but New Yorkers really only care about winners. If UConn keeps winning, New Yorkers will be interested. If not, then they won't be.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dc is not nyc
i think wvu and md recently played a game in dc

we market that uconn is the school to get nyc to the next level. kids go pro from uconn in sports, it could be those nyc kids. that leads to more and more fans and tv viewers. that leads to big time tv ratings. those tv ratings get us into a big 4 conf becuase we bring the nyc tv market. those fans also lead to more kids trying to go to uconn. they also lead to good crowds at uconn events in the city(msg/yanks/metlife...). its a overall push to develope the streets of nyc as uconn fans and not cuse/rutgers fans. ct as a state has a good population and tv market setup. but its not the best. nyc is the best tv market possible and due to where our state is, we have a shot at it. tv markets get you places. same goes with recruiting. to bad ct isn't like florida or texas with propects. but right down the street is nyc where prospects are blowing up right now as the next hotbed. were here and were here to stay.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger