the nyc myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
getting tired of cuse is nyc team bull
-cuse is a PRIVATE school, not the states team/school
-its far away, much more than most local area schools. there not even local.
-the best bball players from nyc area come to uconn because we win and get you to the nba. the same will be in fball soon enough. rutgers is close but they never win anything. temple and umass are closer to nyc then cuse.

Attachments

• nyc myth.jpg
    nyc myth.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 111
Reaction Score
getting tired of cuse is nyc team bull ****
-cuse is a PRIVATE school, not the states team/school
-its far away, much more than most local area schools. there not even local.
-the best bball players from nyc area come to uconn because we win **** and get you to the nba. the same will be in fball soon enough. rutgers is close but they never win anything. temple and umass are closer to nyc then cuse.
'Cuse trying to ram down everyone's throats that they are NYC's school is like the cheesy person that tries to give THEMSELF a nickname. It doesn't work, and it just looks said to everyone around them the more they try and get the nickname to stick. "T-bone" anyone?! (Seinfeld....)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are marketing NYC, good for them. Now, what are UConn and the NNBE going to do about it?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
RU seems to identify with NYC as its state school more than SU... It's the closest out of all the Big East schools in the area ( UCONN, SU, Pitt, Temple, and RU )

Reaction Score
I just saw a Yankee home run go over a sign at Yankee Stadium that said something like "Syracuse University....New York's College football" or something similar.

Ugh.....

Reaction Score
'Cuse trying to ram down everyone's throats that they are NYC's school is like the cheesy person that tries to give THEMSELF a nickname. It doesn't work, and it just looks said to everyone around them the more they try and get the nickname to stick. "T-bone" anyone?! (Seinfeld....)

"Hey, look at George. He is giving it to T-bone. He is jumping up and down like some kind of monkey" obviously Syracuse is Coco in this metaphor. i know a lot of people from central NY and they don't really identify with NYC at all, so it's odd to me that Cuse tries to portray themselves as NYC's team. most of them think NYC is full of liberal nancies that they want nothing to do with. sometimes i almost think they'd like to give NYC to Jersey

Reaction Score
Syracuse is Rochester's team. They need a billboard in War Memorial Coliseum.

Reaction Score
I just saw a Yankee home run go over a sign at Yankee Stadium that said something like "Syracuse University....New York's College football" or something similar.

Ugh.....

Brandon Steiner, founder and CEO of Steiner Sports, who has a huge relationship w/ the Yankees is a Cuse alum. Probably gave up one of the Steiner ad spots to the Orange Juice.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
u know, the banner really doesn't dig at me at all. its good for cuse but most ppl realize what a joke it is. what gets me is the new myth that nyc kids are in cuse territory. uconn should do 2 things and i will be the first to donate to each of these.

1) put up a billboard in the hood somewhere. maybe right over ruker or something that says "NYC is UConn Country" with pictures of kemba, omar wilbert etc. all the kids. maybe take it a step futher and make it kids we got to the next level from the area. thats getting the point across and giving cuse the finger at the same time.

2) put up a board just off the T between bc and bu somewhere. "Boston is UConn Country" with a few pics or w/e. then at the bottom write "donated by the Spazgene Family"

this was probably done for 1/10th the price...was more effective and really fucks with both fan bases.

how much does a normal billboard cost anyway?

lol

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
While we're talking NYC / NY state... how crazy would it be if all the SUNY's, or at least the big 4, had been amalgamated together in NYC or on the Hudson somewhere nearby? Say, beginning in the late 1800s... that would have been a monster university and a monster football program. I guess you could say the same thing about the UC's (UCLA, Berkeley, SD, etc.) but NY is not as huge geographically so it might be more feasible. What could have been...

Reaction Score
A prominent NYC high school coach told me that the inner city kids in New York identify far more with UConn basketball than Syracuse basketball.

But for whatever reason that doesn't translate to football.

pj

Reaction Score
2) put up a board just off the T between bc and bu somewhere. "Boston is UConn Country" with a few pics or w/e. then at the bottom write "donated by the Spazgene Family"

Why not rent a banner in Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill saying "Alumni Stadium is UConn Country". It could have a subtitle: "Conte Forum is UConn women's bball country"

Reaction Score
A prominent NYC high school coach told me that the inner city kids in New York identify far more with UConn basketball than Syracuse basketball.

But for whatever reason that doesn't translate to football.

That's easy. Everyone loves a winner. Football is on the cusp, but just not quite there yet.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is no way SU can wrest the title of NYC's team away from Yeshiva University. Their matzo balls are way better than anything SU can offer and anyone from the Bronx to Staten Island damn well knows it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice map Dan. Temple is closer to NYC than Syracuse
Heck BCU is closer to NYC than Syracuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NYC doesn't have a team. Syracuse is one of the teams that has a following there. UConn does. Rutgers does. Notre Dame football does. Penn State football does. Duke basketball does.

If anyone thinks UConn has some sort of lock on top NYC basketball talent they have lost their minds. Dozens of schools have had multiple good players from NYC in the last decade.

What is there to be so upset about?

Reaction Score
Why not rent a banner in Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill saying "Alumni Stadium is UConn Country". It could have a subtitle: "Conte Forum is UConn women's bball country"
But nobody would see that banner... unless they looked at Groupon.

Reaction Score
NYC doesn't have a team. Syracuse is one of the teams that has a following there. UConn does. Rutgers does. Notre Dame football does. Penn State football does. Duke basketball does.

If anyone thinks UConn has some sort of lock on top NYC basketball talent they have lost their minds. Dozens of schools have had multiple good players from NYC in the last decade.

What is there to be so upset about?
That Syracuse has a sign claiming to be New Yorks college team... Do you actually read posts before posting or do you just argue for the sake of arguing?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That Syracuse has a sign claiming to be New Yorks college team... Do you actually read posts before posting or do you just argue for the sake of arguing?

If you are going to lecture people about reading at least get it right. The OP has nothing about a stupid sign that is hardly new news, it's about Temple being closer to NYC than Syracuse and other trivial nonsense.

As for the sign... Wow an example of
marketing that isn't 100% true. Would you be shocked to learn that Fox News isn't fair and balanced, it's actually quite easy to tell it isn't butter, M&Ms will melt in your hand and barely any champions eat Wheaties for breakfast.

Do you think anyone sees that sign and thinks to themselves: I'm a NY guy, Syracuse is NY's team, so I now roll with Syracuse.

Reaction Score
If you are going to lecture people about reading at least get it right. The OP has nothing about a stupid sign that is hardly new news, it's about Temple being closer to NYC than Syracuse and other trivial nonsense.

As for the sign... Wow an example of
marketing that isn't 100% true. Would you be shocked to learn that Fox News isn't fair and balanced, it's actually quite easy to tell it isn't butter, M&Ms will melt in your hand and barely any champions eat Wheaties for breakfast.

Do you think anyone sees that sign and thinks to themselves: I'm a NY guy, Syracuse is NY's team, so I now roll with Syracuse.

Alright, that was pretty damn funny. I don't care who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom