... the next time a blue chip recruit makes a head-scratching college choice out of college. It ain’t for the gumbo. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

... the next time a blue chip recruit makes a head-scratching college choice out of college. It ain’t for the gumbo.

Reaction Score
I think you take a lot of liberties with your assumptions. So if they cut 12 basketball scholarships that means they create 12 academic scholarships? I don’t think it’s apples to apples like that, and I don’t know if any kid gets waitlisted because a basketball players taking his spot lol. And if all you care about is the university not wasting money, and ur not a basketball fan, why would you come on here?
You need to read more closely. I have clearly said that I am in favor of college sports, as they exist today, going away but, if they don't, I want my school to do well. And I have also said that, while college sports continue to exist as they do today, that it is an important marketing tool. But, today, college sports is a cess pool where pro teams take advantage of colleges and colleges take advantage of the athletes. When schools lose money on sports, does that money come from a money tree, lol? Or does it show up as increased fees and tuitions for everyone else? And I never said athletic scholarships would be replaced by academic scholarships. I said that the spots filled by undeserving athletes who are only there to play sports would be filled by kids who deserve to he there for, and I know this is crazy, their academic credentials. And before you try to twist what I am saying again, let me go on record as acknowledging that some scholarship athletes do also deserve to be at their current school based on their academic credentials. But how many football and basketball scholarship athletes at schools competing for championships fall into that category?...lol

Reaction Score
You need to read more closely. I have clearly said that I am in favor of college sports, as they exist today, going away but, if they don't, I want my school to do well. And I have also said that, while college sports continue to exist as they do today, that it is an important marketing tool. But, today, college sports is a cess pool where pro teams take advantage of colleges and colleges take advantage of the athletes. When schools lose money on sports, does that money come from a money tree, lol? Or does it show up as increased fees and tuitions for everyone else? And I never said athletic scholarships would be replaced by academic scholarships. I said that the spots filled by undeserving athletes who are only there to play sports would be filled by kids who deserve to he there for, and I know this is crazy, their academic credentials. And before you try to twist what I am saying again, let me go on record as acknowledging that some scholarship athletes do also deserve to be at their current school based on their academic credentials. But how many football and basketball scholarship athletes at schools competing for championships fall into that category?...lol
You have no idea the academic credentials of any football or basketball player so to make that argument is strictly working off of the athlete stereotype. Should probably be a little more careful with those generalizations.
If UConn was in a different league they would be making more money and this would all be a moot point. Thats why the university is at a crossroads. They are hoping that by putting the money up now through student fees they will get paid off in the long run. If they use your model of cutting the funds they will never get to the P5. So in 10 years if we are still in this same spot maybe your argument will make sense. For the time being this is in my opinion the best course of action for the future.

Reaction Score
You have no idea the academic credentials of any football or basketball player so to make that argument is strictly working off of the athlete stereotype. Should probably be a little more careful with those generalizations.
If UConn was in a different league they would be making more money and this would all be a moot point. Thats why the university is at a crossroads. They are hoping that by putting the money up now through student fees they will get paid off in the long run. If they use your model of cutting the funds they will never get to the P5. So in 10 years if we are still in this same spot maybe your argument will make sense. For the time being this is in my opinion the best course of action for the future.
Jesus Christmas, can you go back and read what I wrote? Hell, I even tried to anticipate this predictable defensive response. Either you missed the point again or you think there are no recruited athletes that got into any schools, including UConn, ahead of more deserving students based on everything but athletic prowess.

Reaction Score
Jesus Christmas, can you go back and read what I wrote? Hell, I even tried to anticipate this predictable defensive response. Either you missed the point again or you think there are no recruited athletes that got into any schools, including UConn, ahead of more deserving students based on everything but athletic prowess.
Everyone thinks that. How true it is I don't know........and neither do you. Dont know why thats one of ur arguments for getting rid of sports so that more deserving kids get into schools. Really????

Reaction Score
Everyone thinks that. How true it is I don't know...and neither do you. Dont know why thats one of ur arguments for getting rid of sports so that more deserving kids get into schools. Really????
Yes, really! You know, send the most qualified kids, academically, to the best schools they can get into. It really shouldn't be that crazy of a concept. It is fair and it is wise. And, if the schools don't lose money on sports, all of the kids pay less. I'm not seeing the downside here.

Now, as for the qualifications, are you saying that you don't think it may be true that some (many in the case of some schools) of the kids that are recruited athletes get in ahead of kids with far better qualifications sans athletic ability? I really hope not. Everyone thinks that for a reason. It is true. Some people go along with it because they want their school to win. And, if college sports exists as it does in its current incarnation, it benefits the school to win from a marketing standpoint. Again, I would like to see college sports go to club and intramural only for all colleges. Then you don't have to worry about your school being at a marketing disadvantage. And they all save money. The students pay less to go there. More kids get into their more preferred choices. The sad thing is that this isn't the only admissions and financially foolish issue colleges are willingly engaging in.

Reaction Score
Yes, really! You know, send the most qualified kids, academically, to the best schools they can get into. It really shouldn't be that crazy of a concept. It is fair and it is wise. And, if the schools don't lose money on sports, all of the kids pay less. I'm not seeing the downside here.

Now, as for the qualifications, are you saying that you don't think it may be true that some (many in the case of some schools) of the kids that are recruited athletes get in ahead of kids with far better qualifications sans athletic ability? I really hope not. Everyone thinks that for a reason. It is true. Some people go along with it because they want their school to win. And, if college sports exists as it does in its current incarnation, it benefits the school to win from a marketing standpoint. Again, I would like to see college sports go to club and intramural only for all colleges. Then you don't have to worry about your school being at a marketing disadvantage. And they all save money. The students pay less to go there. More kids get into their more preferred choices. The sad thing is that this isn't the only admissions and financially foolish issue colleges are willingly engaging in.
I just find it pretty ridiculous for us to be talking about colleges going to all club sports and intramurals at this point. So you love UConn basketball but your real wish is for it to go away so the school is in better financial standing and a few more kids who are potentially more deserving get in.
But hey we are all entitled to our opinions, best of luck to ya!

Reaction Score
I just find it pretty ridiculous for us to be talking about colleges going to all club sports and intramurals at this point. So you love UConn basketball but your real wish is for it to go away so the school is in better financial standing and a few more kids who are potentially more deserving get in.
But hey we are all entitled to our opinions, best of luck to ya!

I don't have the same reasons as him. I do enjoy watching UConn basketball quite a bit (I really don't watch much else when it comes to college sports). But, I too feel that it may be time to reorganize college athletics by shearing it off from the academic side. Not because I want it to die, but because it has become one giant embarrassing fiasco that is sucking the soul out of many universities.

Reaction Score
I don't have the same reasons as him. I do enjoy watching UConn basketball quite a bit (I really don't watch much else when it comes to college sports). But, I too feel that it may be time to reorganize college athletics by shearing it off from the academic side. Not because I want it to die, but because it has become one giant embarrassing fiasco that is sucking the soul out of many universities.
I think what your trying to do would be closing Pandora’s box at this point. I’m no expert but the chances of shearing athletics from academics I just don’t see as a real possibility

Reaction Score
Paying athletes will not stop the cheating. “Ok man , we give you $50,000 up front, plus $10,000 per year” The solution is not a simple one, but one thing I would suggest is SEVERE penalties for those caught paying a guy to come to their school.

Reaction Score
I think what your trying to do would be closing Pandora’s box at this point. I’m no expert but the chances of shearing athletics from academics I just don’t see as a real possibility

I think of it as doing to opposite of what you say. I'm suggesting Pandora's box stay open.

Shearing off athletics from academics is as easy as saying, "Today, we are shearing off athletics from academics."

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Paying athletes will not stop the cheating. “Ok man , we give you $50,000 up front, plus $10,000 per year” The solution is not a simple one, but one thing I would suggest is SEVERE penalties for those caught paying a guy to come to their school.

I agree, but the problem is up until a few years ago, the NCAA only employed 44 people on their entire enforcement staff. 44 people cannot possibly hope to adequately police well over 1,000 member institutions. Most of the enforcement cases get dropped in their lap by the media or whistleblowers. They don't find out much of anything totally on their own.

Reaction Score
I think of it as doing to opposite of what you say. I'm suggesting Pandora's box stay open.

Shearing off athletics from academics is as easy as saying, "Today, we are shearing off athletics from academics."
I see what your saying from an idealistic standpoint, but in the real world is what your suggesting even possible?

Reaction Score
I see what your saying from an idealistic standpoint, but in the real world is what your suggesting even possible?

Yes, they would simply have to service the facilities from the athletics proceeds. That is all that needs to be done. The SEC and ACC would be all over doing it this way. I have some doubts about the B1G but they'd probably go along with it too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom