The Next step for Mississippi State is....... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Next step for Mississippi State is.......

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Don't understand why so many members are throwing shade at AEH. I have the SEC Channel—can't wait to see her play.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Starters:
G- Jazz Holmes(5'8" Sr....played entire 4th quarters in back to back national championship games so I think she's ready)
G- Jordan Danberry(5'8" Sr....former 5 star guard is quick as lightning and a defensive nightmare)
F- Xaria Wiggins(6'1" Fr....was a high 4 star and still underrated...comes from top notch high school program and can do it all)
F- Anriel Howard(5'11" Sr....transfer from A&M is a beast on the boards and just finds a way to score)
C- Teaira McCowan(6'7" Sr....national player of the year who will simply dominate this season....is in amazing shape...no one will stop her this season)
Bench:
G- Myah Taylor(5'7"RFr....5 star guard is a legend in the Memphis Metro area which is where I live. Born leader who does what ever it takes to win games.)
G- Andra Espinzo-Hunter(5'11" So....book it...NCAA will say she can start playing games for the dawgs starting Dec. 15th. Winner...winner...chicken dinner.....she and Myah will hopefully play together for three years a become a top notch back court.)
G- Bre'Amber Scott(5'11" So....hard nosed guard who can shoot and play tough defense)
F- Chloe Bibby(6'1" So...would probably start for most teams in the country but there is no way you can't start both Wiggins and Howard. The Aussie will have a great year however.)
F/C- Jessika Carter(6'5" Fr....5 star big from the Atlanta area has been compared to Asia Wilson by many observers. She's really quick for her size and can really shoot.)

Vic will start 4 seniors and for the first time he will have 5 star athletes to work with....that should be very scary for teams having to face the dawgs for the near future.

50+ players get 5 star ratings from HG annually, doesn't mean a whole lot IMO. That said, there's no way Bibby comes off the bench in favor of Wiggins, at least not initially. Bibby is a physical stretch 4 with range who can do a lot of the dirty work and play tough defense. Great compliment to McCowan and Howard. Also allows Howard to play more on the perimeter.

Danbury will be very important and shares duties with Holmes at PG. Mississippi State will be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams with their defense, but the 2 guards need to be able to score from deep or Mississippi State will be easy to stop offensively. AEH fits in well as a shooter off the bench if she's cleared. Taylor could be a great backup post for McCowan before taking over next year. Wiggins and Carter could be rotation players depending on how ready they are for college level basketball. Lots of upside, but Vic has work to do and it'll be a very different mix of players he's working with this year.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
State's first real test of the season will come Dec 2 when they travel to Austin Texas to play The University of Texas Longhorns. That game will give us a chance to see the Bulldogs against comparable opposition. Joyner Holmes, Jatari White and freshman Charli Collier will take turns guarding McCowan.
Joyner Holmes is injured, so I doubt that she will be playing against McCowan on Dec. 2nd.

Reaction Score
Apparently they were holding the 5th starter back. :D

It’s more about what they currently have than what they lost. I think UConn lost more harder-to-replace players even though they only lost two starters. They lost someone could have been a starter in Stevens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s more about what they currently have than what they lost. I think UConn lost more harder-to-replace players even though they only lost two starters. They lost someone could have been a starter in Stevens.
This is really about coaching and player development. Over the past few years Vic has established himself as an outstanding coach. Now he is faced with the challenge of replacing 4 key players. We’ll see how he does.

Geno, CD and company is the best coaching staff in WBB, renowned for their incomparable ability to develop players. Whatever player losses UConn faces this year, it doesn’t even compare with losing the Big 3 two years ago, returning a team with very little size, depth or experience, and I seem to recall that team wasn’t half bad.

Reaction Score
I agree with UConn’s losses being very hard to deal with, but replacing them with 5* players (Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal) or Saniya Chong (4*) is a whole heck of lot different.

Vic is replacing with two 5* (Danberry and McCowan) and three 3* (Howard, Bibby, and Holmes)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree with UConn’s losses being very hard to deal with, but replacing them with 5* players (Kia, Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal) or Saniya Chong (4*) is a whole heck of lot different.

Vic is replacing with two 5* (Danberry and McCowan) and three 3* (Howard, Bibby, and Holmes)

Very true. Another big difference is that UCONN was far far ahead of anyone else in college basketball during the 2015-16 season and had future WNBA players coming off the bench and as role players in 2015-16. Sure the next year they lost the Big 3, but they had 3 other players emerge as All-Americans, all of whom were HS AAs and very highly touted players.

UCONN doesn't lose as much this year as they did going into 2016-17, but UCONN also wasn't head and shoulders in front of the pack last year like they were in 2015-16. The top 4 teams this past year were on par with each other for most of the year, hence the extremely competitive final four games and stellar records by each program. UCONN likely is still a Final Four lock and in the hunt for a title, but they aren't going to an overwhelming favorite to win like they were in 2015-16 or 2017-18. Per usual, UCONN still has more talent on its roster than anyone else in the country and I don't see them losing more than maybe 2 games all year, but it feels a lot more wide open than it has felt in most previous seasons.

Reaction Score
Against 90% of the teams defense and rebounding alone may be enough. Not sure you can win the national championship that way, though.

Vivians was a huge part of their success last season and I believe their best player.

The other players are replaceable talent wise, but I have a difficult time seeing how Miss State replaces their experience.

Still, I guess they could crush the boards and then have the newcomers hit a stride in the latter part of the season and go on a run.

Winning the SEC seems totally doable. Getting past some of the better teams that are going to have the bodies to throw at McCowans? Seems a little less doable.

But we'll see. I actually wish Miss State relatively well at this point. Rather South Carolina won, but I have nothing against the bunch that took Miss State so far the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
I think AEH will get cleared to play . Maybe if geno would not have been so vocal about why he dismissed her she would most likely had to sit another year.

What in the world would be the difference in her situation and Cooper at South Carolina who the NCAA denied?

Maybe UConn wouldn't object the way Tennessee did for Cooper?

I am totally fine with all players in this situation getting a waiver, I guess. I'm not ok with the NCAA picking and choosing or it coming down to what the the former school thinks about it.

Just make it consistent and predictable. It shouldn't be a judgment call.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Starters:
G- Jazz Holmes(5'8" Sr....played entire 4th quarters in back to back national championship games so I think she's ready)
G- Jordan Danberry(5'8" Sr....former 5 star guard is quick as lightning and a defensive nightmare)
F- Xaria Wiggins(6'1" Fr....was a high 4 star and still underrated...comes from top notch high school program and can do it all)
F- Anriel Howard(5'11" Sr....transfer from A&M is a beast on the boards and just finds a way to score)
C- Teaira McCowan(6'7" Sr....national player of the year who will simply dominate this season....is in amazing shape...no one will stop her this season)
Bench:
G- Myah Taylor(5'7"RFr....5 star guard is a legend in the Memphis Metro area which is where I live. Born leader who does what ever it takes to win games.)
G- Andra Espinzo-Hunter(5'11" So....book it...NCAA will say she can start playing games for the dawgs starting Dec. 15th. Winner...winner...chicken dinner.....she and Myah will hopefully play together for three years a become a top notch back court.)
G- Bre'Amber Scott(5'11" So....hard nosed guard who can shoot and play tough defense)
F- Chloe Bibby(6'1" So...would probably start for most teams in the country but there is no way you can't start both Wiggins and Howard. The Aussie will have a great year however.)
F/C- Jessika Carter(6'5" Fr....5 star big from the Atlanta area has been compared to Asia Wilson by many observers. She's really quick for her size and can really shoot.)

Vic will start 4 seniors and for the first time he will have 5 star athletes to work with....that should be very scary for teams having to face the dawgs for the near future.

All I need to do is add some exclamation points and this would be a perfect post in my "Everybody's Above Average" thread. :p

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
What in the world would be the difference in her situation and Cooper at South Carolina who the NCAA denied?

Maybe UConn wouldn't object the way Tennessee did for Cooper?

I am totally fine with all players in this situation getting a waiver, I guess. I'm not ok with the NCAA picking and choosing or it coming down to what the the former school thinks about it.

Just make it consistent and predictable. It shouldn't be a judgment call.
The differences as I see it:

1. Cooper transferred in early June, whereas Espinoza-Hunter transferred in early February, although neither was enrolled in the spring semester at their new school.
2. Tennessee opposed immediate eligibility, whereas we don't know if Geno has approved or not. Dawn even admitted that she would have opposed immediate eligibility if she were in Tennessee's shoes.
3. Cooper transferred within a conference, whereas AEH transferred between conferences.
4. Cooper was dismissed for disciplinary reasons (an actual fight), whereas AEH just didn't fit into the Huskies program.

For what it's worth, I think there should be more transparency as well. I think the biggest factor was that Tea was dismissed for disciplinary reasons.

Reaction Score
The differences as I see it:

1. Cooper transferred in early June, whereas Espinoza-Hunter transferred in early February, although neither was enrolled in the spring semester at their new school.
2. Tennessee opposed immediate eligibility, whereas we don't know if Geno has approved or not. Dawn even admitted that she would have opposed immediate eligibility if she were in Tennessee's shoes.
3. Cooper transferred within a conference, whereas AEH transferred between conferences.
4. Cooper was dismissed for disciplinary reasons (an actual fight), whereas AEH just didn't fit into the Huskies program.

For what it's worth, I think there should be more transparency as well. I think the biggest factor was that Tea was dismissed for disciplinary reasons.

I've forgotten now, but I didn't think Cooper was dismissed. I thought she transferred after being suspended.

I guess there is a discipline element there, but it would seem like AEH getting dismissed? would have to have had one as well.

the whole transferring within a conference thing is not something that the NCAA should consider, IMO.

A player should be able to transfer wherever she likes without consideration to whether her former school likes it or not, in my opinion.

I think giving coaches the right to veto destinations based on whether it's convenient to the coach's future schedule is pretty ridiculous.

the coach gets paid to handle things like this. A kid only gets two chances to find the right place to be educated or even to play ball if you weight that at all.

Limiting her opportunities based on a situation that didn't work out seems like a poor rule.

the sit out year seems like a sufficient deterrent. I'm not necessarily sure that it's such a hardship honestly.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I've forgotten now, but I didn't think Cooper was dismissed. I thought she transferred after being suspended.

"Former Lady Vol basketball player Te’a Cooper decided to transfer from Tennessee in part because she faced possible disciplinary action regarding a fight she instigated with teammate Jaime Nared, according to multiple sources.

"A source said Cooper would not have had her scholarship renewed at Tennessee."

Jimmy's Blog: Cooper transfers after fight with teammate

Reaction Score
"Former Lady Vol basketball player Te’a Cooper decided to transfer from Tennessee in part because she faced possible disciplinary action regarding a fight she instigated with teammate Jaime Nared, according to multiple sources.

"A source said Cooper would not have had her scholarship renewed at Tennessee."

Jimmy's Blog: Cooper transfers after fight with teammate

Well, it would be a pretty jackass move to tell someone you weren't going to renew their scholarship and then dictate where they could transfer.

My recollection was that she was going to face discipline and elected to transfer rather than deal with it. Not that she was told her scholarship would not be renewed.

Reaction Score
This is really about coaching and player development. Over the past few years Vic has established himself as an outstanding coach. Now he is faced with the challenge of replacing 4 key players. We’ll see how he does.

Geno, CD and company is the best coaching staff in WBB, renowned for their incomparable ability to develop players. Whatever player losses UConn faces this year, it doesn’t even compare with losing the Big 3 two years ago, returning a team with very little size, depth or experience, and I seem to recall that team wasn’t half bad.
Dude, while Geno has been exceptional in coaching top 10 high school players up to All Star pro status, Vic has been equally strong at taking good high school talent and helping them become strong college players. Since he hasn't always relied on 5 star All Stars, don't know why he will have major issues with his current team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Geno, CD and company is the best coaching staff in WBB, renowned for their incomparable ability to develop players.

You'd have to give several other coaches comparable talent to what Geno and company are working with to make this statement definitively. It's apples and oranges, the development some other really good coaching staffs do with what they have to work with, which is nowhere near what Geno and staff have to work with.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You'd have to give several other coaches comparable talent to what Geno and company are working with to make this statement definitively. It's apples and oranges, the development some other really good coaching staffs do with what they have to work with, which is nowhere near what Geno and staff have to work with.
Agreed. But there are a number of high-profile programs that continue to underachieve while consistently bringing in top talent.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Agreed. But there are a number of high-profile programs that continue to underachieve while consistently bringing in top talent.

Definitely agree with you. And also sometimes funny things happen when those "do more with less" coaches start attracting more talent. It doesn't always pan out as well as expected. I definitely give Geno and his staff big props for consistently getting elite talent to buy into their system and play team ball.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

To be fair we should give these unnamed coaches a roster comparable to UConn's roster in 1985, throw in no basketball arena for the first 5 years, and see what they can do.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To be fair we should give these unnamed coaches a roster comparable to UConn's roster in 1985, throw in no basketball arena for the first 5 years, and see what they can do.

That's a very good point. Geno of course built this thing from the ground up and got it rolling. It's interesting to think of how Geno now compares to Geno back then. I have no doubt he's grown and improved as a coach, but I think he'd have a really hard time doing what he did back then currently.

As far as a coach starting from basically nothing, Rueck definitely fits that bill. Obviously he has not taken them near the level that Geno accomplished in Storrs. But he took over a dumpster fire that had basically nothing going for them, and in short order took the program to heights they'd never seen before.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As far as a coach starting from basically nothing, Rueck definitely fits that bill. Obviously he has not taken them near the level that Geno accomplished in Storrs. But he took over a dumpster fire that had basically nothing going for them, and in short order took the program to heights they'd never seen before.

Except being in a major conference with its own network and being in a state that produces really good basketball talent. I like Rueck a lot and admire what he's done but the dumpster fire he took over is 1000 times better than the dumpster fire Geno inherited back in 1985.

Reaction Score
Rueck was holding open tryouts as OSU nearly dropped their program... in the Pac-12. That to a final four in 6 years is pretty remarkable.

Both Rueck and Geno made the final four exactly 6 years after taking over their respective programs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, but OSU's Athletic Dept. budget is nothing compared to many of their Pac 12 competitors, and Corvallis is considered the second most backwater location in the conference next to Pullman. They definitely don't have any competitive advantages compared to their conference mates. Rueck took over in 2010. Pac 12 Network didn't launch until 2012. Back then there was only Fox Sports Northwest (morphed into current ROOT Sports), and it had fairly spotty coverage of women's hoops.

You have to make a distinction between what the Big East was when Geno took over in 1985 (not much in women's hoops) and the Pac 12 in 2010. Who was UConn competing against? No Notre Dame or Rutgers or Louisville at the time. Stanford had been the best program out West for several decades, that's who OSU was chasing down. That's definitely apples and oranges.

Really there's 2 different things here. Turning UConn into a national powerhouse was remarkable. Turning them into the class of the Big East as it existed back then is less so. OSU isn't quite a national powerhouse, but taking them from a doormat to the top of the Pac 12 is quite an accomplishment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom