The Next step for Mississippi State is....... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Next step for Mississippi State is.......

Reaction Score
Yea, but expecting a Soph who didn't play much as a Fresh to replace a 1st AA Senior is a pretty big leap. IF that's what Miss St is banking on, it may not be that great of a year.

Since Howard is playing Vivians’ position this year, she’d be the one to replace Vivians. In some aspects like rebounding Howard is better than Vivians, in others she may not be as good. But it doesn’t have to be the exact same team as last year for them to achieve success.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Since Howard is playing Vivians’ position this year, she’d be the one to replace Vivians. In some aspects like rebounding Howard is better than Vivians, in others she may not be as good. But it doesn’t have to be the exact same team as last year for them to achieve success.
Ok????? :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Howard is nowhere near Vivians as a scorer/shooter. Howard shot 44% last year and 30.8% from 3 on 39 attempts. Vivians shot 48.5% and 40.4% from 3 on 171 attempts.

My question is - how will Mississippi State score enough points to win? If AEH doesn't get the waiver, will they have any spacing at all? Do they just throw the ball at the rim and hope McCowan or Howard can get a putback?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be.

A few days/week ago Geno said, without much elaboration, that unrestricted transfers "would be the beginning of the end." Anyone see this explored in greater depth by The Wise One?

Reaction Score
Howard is nowhere near Vivians as a scorer/shooter. Howard shot 44% last year and 30.8% from 3 on 39 attempts. Vivians shot 48.5% and 40.4% from 3 on 171 attempts.

My question is - how will Mississippi State score enough points to win? If AEH doesn't get the waiver, will they have any spacing at all? Do they just throw the ball at the rim and hope McCowan or Howard can get a putback?

I don’t know, we’ll have to see what they come up with. Maybe some of these players will shoot better than expected. Nobody expected Vivians to do well her senior year based on her junior year. Now everybody seems to think she’s so irreplaceable even though MSU went to the Finals the previous year when Vivians wasn’t as good. ‍♂️

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It seems odd that MS St published stats for an intra-squad scrimmage?

Its not odd...... Duke does it. We had our Blue/White scrimmage this past Sunday. Im sure other schools do it as well.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be.

I would like to know the rationale for the waiver. She’s good and they just want one?

She’s moved like 1500 miles farther away from home right? Sorry if I missed this discussion earlier.

If it’s a matter of coach conflict explain why Te’a Cooper wouldn’t get it.

My thing is : have a rule that applies the same way to everyone.

Don’t let some committee play favorites based on who presents the best heart string pulled this week. Or how good their week’s going. This shouldn’t be a subjective process. It’s a little unfair.

Personally I like the sit out rule as a nice compromise between player freedom and roster protection.

They should remove all coach and school discretion from the process. If they want to make exceptions for coaching changes or whatever fine. Just let it apply to everyone.

Reaction Score
I don't even know what MSU wants with AEH. They may be asking for her to be eligible 2nd semester. She will have sat for a year by the end of the first semester.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A few days/week ago Geno said, without much elaboration, that unrestricted transfers "would be the beginning of the end." Anyone see this explored in greater depth by The Wise One?
She basically lost a year last year, to make her sit out another??? I guess I'm just not that cruel. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I don't think AEH is a projected starter even if available for game 1.

McCowan and Howard did combine for 10.7 offensive boards per game last year. That will clean up some of the shooting issues.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don’t know, we’ll have to see what they come up with. Maybe some of these players will shoot better than expected. Nobody expected Vivians to do well her senior year based on her junior year. Now everybody seems to think she’s so irreplaceable even though MSU went to the Finals the previous year when Vivians wasn’t as good. ‍♂️

It's true that Vivians became much more efficient last year. "Nobody expected Vivians to do well her senior year based on her junior year" is just plain untrue. For example, she was ranked #16 in ESPN's preseason top 25 players last year.

It's not just that they lose Vivians. They also lose William, Johnson, and Schaefer. That's four senior guards who represent four of their top five scorers last year. I think it's fair to ask the question of how they replace that.

It's not that Vivians or any of the others are irreplaceable, but that's a lot to replace in one offseason. Certainly not impossible, though...could just be a case of "next man up" and the others will ably replace them given the opportunity.

We'll see in due time!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My question is - how will Mississippi State score enough points to win?

They might not need to score very much to win, their defense has been very stingy in recent years.

Do they just throw the ball at the rim and hope McCowan or Howard can get a putback?

As simplistic as it is, if the other team can't stop it then it's a perfectly workable strategy. I've seen games where it was impossible to keep McCowan off the O boards.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They might not need to score very much to win, their defense has been very stingy in recent years.

As simplistic as it is, if the other team can't stop it then it's a perfectly workable strategy. I've seen games where it was impossible to keep McCowan off the O boards.

Against 90% of the teams defense and rebounding alone may be enough. Not sure you can win the national championship that way, though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She basically lost a year last year, to make her sit out another??? I guess I'm just not that cruel. :rolleyes:

I just chose your post to ask a question, not criticize it. I'm always conflicted by these transfer questions. Most of my annoyance about it stems from the seemingly erratic - no, not seemingly at all - bestowing of largess by the disgusting NCAA; the epitome of it being reached with a certain center last year. I can understand that Geno, as a tough, my way or the highway guy, does not want a rule that allows a kid to call a taxi after practice to head to her next port of call. Geno puts "the hump" in front of you and wants you to get over it, not drive around it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Bulldogs open their season next Friday Nov 2, with a home exhibition game against Central Missouri, followed by 7 games against teams that should not prove to be anything other than a 40 minute practice session.

State's first real test of the season will come Dec 2 when they travel to Austin Texas to play The University of Texas Longhorns. That game will give us a chance to see the Bulldogs against comparable opposition. Joyner Holmes is injured. Holmes underwent surgery on Thursday (Oct 11) to repair an injury to her right ankle. Holmes suffered the injury in practice on Monday and a return to the court has not been established. It's very doubtful she'll play, so it will be senior Jatari White and freshman Charli Collier (who McCowan will no doubt repeatedly "welcome" to Division 1 WCBB) taking turns guarding McCowan.

Nov 9, they travel to Virginia for a game with the Cavaliers featuring their new head coach, former Texas assistant, and 2018 HOF inductee Tina Thompson, and 6-9 junior center FELICIA AIYEOTAN.

Mississippi State Women's 2018-19 Women's Basketball Schedule

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yea, but expecting a Soph who didn't play much as a Fresh to replace a 1st AA Senior is a pretty big leap. IF that's what Miss St is banking on, it may not be that great of a year.

No one expects that...but if she can be a consistent threat from deep, it'll help prevent defenders from double/triple teaming McCowan and give her more space inside. I don't think Mississippi's banking on her, but an outside presence would give them a huge boost.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In pray that what is next for the Bulldogs is the whithering and dying of this thread. Have you noticed that discussions of other teams seem to captivate this board more than discussions of things Husky? Could it be that posters feel greater freedom to give their genuine opinions about other teams/players? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think AEH will get cleared to play . Maybe if geno would not have been so vocal about why he dismissed her she would most likely had to sit another year.

Reaction Score
Starters:
G- Jazz Holmes(5'8" Sr....played entire 4th quarters in back to back national championship games so I think she's ready)
G- Jordan Danberry(5'8" Sr....former 5 star guard is quick as lightning and a defensive nightmare)
F- Xaria Wiggins(6'1" Fr....was a high 4 star and still underrated...comes from top notch high school program and can do it all)
F- Anriel Howard(5'11" Sr....transfer from A&M is a beast on the boards and just finds a way to score)
C- Teaira McCowan(6'7" Sr....national player of the year who will simply dominate this season....is in amazing shape...no one will stop her this season)
Bench:
G- Myah Taylor(5'7"RFr....5 star guard is a legend in the Memphis Metro area which is where I live. Born leader who does what ever it takes to win games.)
G- Andra Espinzo-Hunter(5'11" So....book it...NCAA will say she can start playing games for the dawgs starting Dec. 15th. Winner...winner...chicken dinner.....she and Myah will hopefully play together for three years a become a top notch back court.)
G- Bre'Amber Scott(5'11" So....hard nosed guard who can shoot and play tough defense)
F- Chloe Bibby(6'1" So...would probably start for most teams in the country but there is no way you can't start both Wiggins and Howard. The Aussie will have a great year however.)
F/C- Jessika Carter(6'5" Fr....5 star big from the Atlanta area has been compared to Asia Wilson by many observers. She's really quick for her size and can really shoot.)

Vic will start 4 seniors and for the first time he will have 5 star athletes to work with....that should be very scary for teams having to face the dawgs for the near future.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In pray that what is next for the Bulldogs is the whithering and dying of this thread. Have you noticed that discussions of other teams seem to captivate this board more than discussions of things Husky? Could it be that posters feel greater freedom to give their genuine opinions about other teams/players? :rolleyes:

Just because of your post... Im thinking of starting a thread about the prospects of Northern Colorado... the real UNC :mad:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just because of your post... Im thinking of starting a thread about the prospects of Northern Colorado... the real UNC :mad:
Got to love their mascot: Klawz the Bear :cool:

Reaction Score
Danberry Will be key to Miss States success this season . She was a big reason they got past Louisville in that 2nd half of last years FF .

Reaction Score
Starters:
G- Jazz Holmes(5'8" Sr....played entire 4th quarters in back to back national championship games so I think she's ready)
G- Jordan Danberry(5'8" Sr....former 5 star guard is quick as lightning and a defensive nightmare)
F- Xaria Wiggins(6'1" Fr....was a high 4 star and still underrated...comes from top notch high school program and can do it all)
F- Anriel Howard(5'11" Sr....transfer from A&M is a beast on the boards and just finds a way to score)
C- Teaira McCowan(6'7" Sr....national player of the year who will simply dominate this season....is in amazing shape...no one will stop her this season)
Bench:
G- Myah Taylor(5'7"RFr....5 star guard is a legend in the Memphis Metro area which is where I live. Born leader who does what ever it takes to win games.)
G- Andra Espinzo-Hunter(5'11" So....book it...NCAA will say she can start playing games for the dawgs starting Dec. 15th. Winner...winner...chicken dinner.....she and Myah will hopefully play together for three years a become a top notch back court.)
G- Bre'Amber Scott(5'11" So....hard nosed guard who can shoot and play tough defense)
F- Chloe Bibby(6'1" So...would probably start for most teams in the country but there is no way you can't start both Wiggins and Howard. The Aussie will have a great year however.)
F/C- Jessika Carter(6'5" Fr....5 star big from the Atlanta area has been compared to Asia Wilson by many observers. She's really quick for her size and can really shoot.)

Vic will start 4 seniors and for the first time he will have 5 star athletes to work with....that should be very scary for teams having to face the dawgs for the near future.

Well firstly it’s spellled (A’ja) Wilson.

Second, no “observers” compared her to A’ja, the only person who said it was Vic. And I don’t think her game favors A’ja. She is still raw and doesn’t have a consistent jump shot from 12 out. A’ja was farther along in her development coming into college. I’m not saying Carter isn’t going to be a decent player for Vic down the line I just don’t think she will get anywhere near the level A’ja was at in College.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom