The next NBA drafted player | The Boneyard

The next NBA drafted player

Who do you think can make it to the NBA?

• Isaiah Whaley

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Tyler Polley

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Tyrese Martin

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • RJ Cole

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Akok Akok

Votes: 77 35.5%
  • Jalen Gaffney

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Adama Sanogo

Votes: 105 48.4%
  • Andre Jackson

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • Samson Johnson

Votes: 43 19.8%
  • Jordan Hawkins

Votes: 86 39.6%
  • Rahsool Diggins

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Donovan Clingan

Votes: 47 21.7%
  • Corey Floyd Jr.

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
With the NBA draft less than a week away who do you think can also get into the NBA in the future?

Reaction Score
The answer is Hawkins. He has an NBA skillset and size. No one else on the team can say the same. If you don't fit the prototype of an NBA role then you have to be extraordinary to break through into the first round.

If we're talking non-guaranteed second round, I think Whaley, Akok, or Martin could stand a chance with a good season shooting the ball, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Reaction Score
Great question, @Jkiller.

I'm taking the more literal route: which player is the next player to be drafted, period. Not thinking about first rounders, etc.

I do not think we will have an NBA draft pick in the 2022 draft, but if Akok Akok stays healthy and the mpg in the frontcourt comes out to something like:

Whaley: 28
Sanogo: 25
Akok: 20
Others: 7

then he can produce numbers that can make him into a stretch (30ish 3p%), athletic rim protector (2ish blocks/game) clocking in at 6'9 w/ 7'3 wingspan.

His draft resume could be similar to DePaul's Paul Reed the 58th pick in the 2020 draft: 6'9 220, 7'2 wingspan, 30.8 3p% (1.8 attempts/game) and 2.6 blocks/game. Only difference is Reed was one of the offensive pillars of DePaul, averaging 15.1 ppg on 12.2 attempts, which Akok Akok won't sniff.

Isaiah Roby, the 45th pick of the '19 draft shot 33.3% on 2.4 3pa and 1.9b: 6'8 230 and a 7'3 wingspan is another kinda comparable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Speaking of:

I definitely think Hawkins will be the next big pick after James, but I have also seen Adama and Andre both on 2022 mocks (in the second round). I can also picture Akok going the pro route after the year since he will have been at UConn for 3.5 years, but I think he needs to have a standout season.

I agree with @Hey Adrien! in the sense that there are not any obvious picks for the 2022 draft at this time. It would really depend on if anyone has an incredible season this year. I think Hawkins is a definite for 2023. He has often referred to himself as a 2 and done player like James was.

Reaction Score
If Andre can tighten up his handle a bit and become a decent shooter, he will dominate games with his all around skill set and elite athleticism. He loves the game and invests in himself as excellence is the standard he holds himself to. An easy guy to call a favorite. I can't wait to see the plays that will comprise his Soph highlight video.

Reaction Score
maybe somebody sneaks into the 2nd round next year. akok’s clock will definitely be ticking, if he has a good year i could see him go for it given his injury history.

the following year i could see jackson/sanogo feeling the pressure to make the jump, as well as hawkins if he has a big breakout.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
One of the criticisms I have of the 2022 targets is, even though they all seem to be good pieces, (other than Starling, and he seems unlikely for us) they all pretty unlikely to be nba prospects. Whereas Hurleys past classes all had legit pro prospects (while maybe not the class depth that we’re hoping for in 2022).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  • As good as we think some of them are going to be, I will reserve judgement on those who've never played a minute of D1 ball, so for me, the last 5 on your list are out of contention.
  • I believe that Isaiah will get serious looks, and unless Samson takes to many of his minutes, he will have a decent chance to get his number called in the 2nd round.
  • If Sanogo improves even a little bit, I can't imagine him not getting drafted -- if not after this season, then after his Junior year.
  • Akok is a giant question mark. IF he plays the way it looked like he could on D and boards, AND his outside shot gets to something that resembles his advance advertising he'll get drafted. Boards, blocks and threes is a good skillset for a modern NBA 4.
  • Andre? IF and that's anther giant IF, he loses the deer in the headlights look and starts making threes at an acceptable rate, he's a sure thing. If not, he'll be one on the best players in some small, far off land.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m on the Andre Jackson being a lottery pick, if not a top 10 pick altogether next year train. He has way too much talent for scouts not to pick up on if he can be a consistent impact player.

Reaction Score
Wow, no love for RJ Cole or Jalen Gaffney? I was under the impression that RJ would lead the team in points next year and maybe Jalen could do the same his senior year. I guess I was wrong... I wonder if they would get to play in the D-League? Or is over-seas their final destination?

Reaction Score
I’m on the Andre Jackson being a lottery pick, if not a top 10 pick altogether next year train. He has way too much talent for scouts not to pick up on if he can be a consistent impact player.
i see zack lavine

Reaction Score
i see zack lavine
Certainly has the potential, but don’t forget Lavine was a 42% 3-point shooter this year on 8+ attempts per game. Long road ahead for Andre to reach that point

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Certainly has the potential, but don’t forget Lavine was a 42% 3-point shooter this year on 8+ attempts per game. Long road ahead for Andre to reach that point
Yeah I would love for this to be the case. He also shot 37% from 3 his freshman year at UCLA.

Reaction Score
  • As good as we think some of them are going to be, I will reserve judgement on those who've never played a minute of D1 ball, so for me, the last 5 on your list are out of contention.
  • I believe that Isaiah will get serious looks, and unless Samson takes to many of his minutes, he will have a decent chance to get his number called in the 2nd round.
  • If Sanogo improves even a little bit, I can't imagine him not getting drafted -- if not after this season, then after his Junior year.
  • Akok is a giant question mark. IF he plays the way it looked like he could on D and boards, AND his outside shot gets to something that resembles his advance advertising he'll get drafted. Boards, blocks and threes is a good skillset for a modern NBA 4.
  • Andre? IF and that's anther giant IF, he loses the deer in the headlights look and starts making threes at an acceptable rate, he's a sure thing. If not, he'll be one on the best players in some small, far off land.
I personally don’t think Whaley has much of a chance of being drafted. Undersized power forward who is a 5th year player. Just don’t see it.

And Andre gets a lot of hype here for a guy who hasn’t shown any ability to get the ball in the basket yet. Love the kid, and certainly has great potential. But just don’t see him being drafted next year - still see a huge project in my eyes.

so - it comes down to Sanogo or Akok for me. I think Sanogo will have a big year and could be drafted - but his ceiling may be the 2nd round. Maybe he comes back his junior year if that’s the case.

So, I’ll take Akok. If he shows he’s healthy next year, some team takes a shot at him in the second round. And after 3.5 years at UConn, I think he considers going pro, even without a first round guarantee.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right! Andre outside shooting was horrible last season and he was a fouling machine. He is a decent ball handler but most of his drives to the basket ended up being blocked.This will be a huge year for him and I am really pulling for him

Reaction Score
I love Sanogo , but don’t get that one at all.
Same here. I think the best part about Sanogo for uconn is that his style of player should keep him here for 3 years minimum.

Him being a first round pick after his sophomore year would mean he becomes a 3 point shooter and adds a few inches to his vertical (possible I guess) or the nba totally goes away from small ball, fast and interchangeable lineups full of shooters (impossible unless team USA loses to Iran and doesn’t advance to the medal round in the Olympics).

Reaction Score
Not sure we have any picks in the 2022 draft to be honest. Akok and Sanogo probably have the best shot if they stay healthy and each take the next step. I could also see Whaley making a NBA roster as an UDFA.

However, I voted for Samson as a dark horse for 2023. He’s super raw but he has NBA length and developing skills to play the 4 or 5 in the NBA. I think if he can establish himself this season and add strength he can be a star in 2023. Maybe him and Hawkins both get drafted in 2023.

Reaction Score
Wow, no love for RJ Cole or Jalen Gaffney? I was under the impression that RJ would lead the team in points next year and maybe Jalen could do the same his senior year. I guess I was wrong... I wonder if they would get to play in the D-League? Or is over-seas their final destination?
RJ Cole is small, he's going into senior year, and he's no fit for the NBA at all. Just a good College player. Maybe he'll end up playing some G-League like Christian Vital, but seeing him now, his only chance of playing NBA ball is if he has an absolutely explosive Kemba Walker kinda run

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same here. I think the best part about Sanogo for uconn is that his style of player should keep him here for 3 years minimum.

Him being a first round pick after his sophomore year would mean he becomes a 3 point shooter and adds a few inches to his vertical (possible I guess) or the nba totally goes away from small ball, fast and interchangeable lineups full of shooters (impossible unless team USA loses to Iran and doesn’t advance to the medal round in the Olympics).

I don't think he has to hit 3s. I think he has to hit 20 ft jumpers, show he can handle the ball and attack the basket and defend the post without fouling. He flashed a bit of all of that, especially the defense. But we will see. His size strength and ++ ability to score around the rim with both hands will be attractive. Lots of guys today only have a face up game. Losing the weight and getting faster was huge for him.

Akok certainly has the whole stretch 4 occasional 5 package if he is now strong enough in the paint, with a good enough outside shot. His speed up the court, athleticism and natural shot blocking ability stand out. I could see him becoming a modern Cliff Robinson type player, better on D, not as good on O. Has to show it though. Now or never.

Jackson has all the ability, just has to harness it and add a shot. Will he do it? I sure hope so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RJ Cole is small, he's going into senior year, and he's no fit for the NBA at all. Just a good College player. Maybe he'll end up playing some G-League like Christian Vital, but seeing him now, his only chance of playing NBA ball is if he has an absolutely explosive Kemba Walker kinda run

Myles Powell went undrafted. He's taller and definitely better than Cole. Not sure what people are thinking here.

Reaction Score
I think the better question is "Who is going to be the next lottery pick?".

As previous posters have said, Akok, Whaley, Ajax, Sanogo (basically every player on the team) could sneak into the 2nd round with a really good season.

With that said, I think Hawkins has the best shot to be our next lottery pick. 2-and-thru written all over him. Lethal shooter, can create his own shot, 6'5 and super athletic.

That should be our prototype guy in the Hurley era of UConn - 6'4-6'5 underrated guys that we can keep putting into the NBA.

Reaction Score
Not sure we have any picks in the 2022 draft to be honest. Akok and Sanogo probably have the best shot if they stay healthy and each take the next step. I could also see Whaley making a NBA roster as an UDFA.

However, I voted for Samson as a dark horse for 2023. He’s super raw but he has NBA length and developing skills to play the 4 or 5 in the NBA. I think if he can establish himself this season and add strength he can be a star in 2023. Maybe him and Hawkins both get drafted in 2023.
Love Samson as a dark horse. Obviously we haven’t seen anything from him yet, but he instantly has NBA potential with his length and the way he moves for his size. Not entirely sure where he is at in his development right now, but his ceiling is absolutely through the roof. Very excited about him in the next couple years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom