The Next Head Coach | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We don't necessarily need a guy who is going to come in and recruit 4 star guys, remember Dwayne Difton? What we need is someone like Edsall who can develop under the radar kids like DBrown, Butler, Sio, etc and turn them into studs

I said in another post that talent evaluation is the absolute key. I want a coach who can identify and project the players he sees on film and in camps. I don't care about stars. Edsall was great at this (except at QB and WR), jury is out on Coach P.

Reaction Score
What about the Northern Illinois coach? They just beat two big ten teams easily. It's not a better job then here.

Reaction Score
What about the Northern Illinois coach? They just beat two big ten teams easily. It's not a better job then here.

Says who? If the NI coach wants to move up to a BCS conference, he is better off staying at the school where he has built up the program, instead of having to start over again here.

Reaction Score
Right now I don't have any candidates in mind outside of Kiffin. I do think we need to get out of the mindset that there has to be ties to the East or Northeast. That is not where football is king. I'm saying it should be a young coordinator from one of the power conferences notably the SEC that would want to make a mark then move on to a more established program. Having a coach with ties to those areas would be an improvement. There are players in those areas that aren't good enough for the top programs but could start here. They'd still be better than the pool we're going after.

Essentially accept the fact that UCONN will be a stepping stone school. It's not going to be like the basketball programs where coaching longevity is norm. The whole UCONN athletic program will hinge on this next decision.

I have got some sure fire good head coaches for the job.....Bill Belichek
Mike McCarthy
John Fox
Andy Reed
Pete Carroll
You think we can get any of these guys? Just about as good as any of the names I have seen bandied about. John Gruden???

Reaction Score
Here's a name - Ken Niumatalolo, Navy.

Program builder, talent developer/maximizer, a winner, in our budget range, mid-to-late 40s in age, east coast guy with connections in mid-atlantic

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have got some sure fire good head coaches for the job.....Bill Belichek
Mike McCarthy
John Fox
Andy Reed
Pete Carroll
You think we can get any of these guys? Just about as good as any of the names I have seen bandied about. John Gruden???
I suspect this was said in jest, but I'll ask anyway. Why did you name NFL guys only? Its a completely different game and I think UConn's past forrays down that road are well documented.

Reaction Score
The last thing we need is a stepping stone coach. Calhoun wasn't one and Auriemma isn't either. We need someone solid like them.

Reaction Score
I suspect this was said in jest, but I'll ask anyway. Why did you name NFL guys only? Its a completely different game and I think UConn's past forrays down that road are well documented.

It was purely jest, but after seeing names such as Kiffin, Tressel and Petrino i figured we may as well go for those guys too. UCONN does not need those disgraced coaches for their program. My real choices would be Ambrose, Narduzzi and Weist, who could be another KO.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It was purely jest, but after seeing names such as Kiffin, Tressel and Petrino i figured we may as well go for those guys too. UCONN does not need those disgraced coaches for their program. My real choices would be Ambrose, Narduzzi and Weist, who could be another KO.
I don't think any of those guys (kiffin, tressel, etc.) even deserve a phone call. Narduzzi is on my wish list along with a few other up and comers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The last thing we need is a stepping stone coach. Calhoun wasn't one and Auriemma isn't either. We need someone solid like them.
Do you think any coach (other than Larry Brown back in the day) is hired with the thought they won't be there for a long time and be successful?

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about Hudspeth, but what about Jim Leavitt? Surely Warde can offer him more than what he makes as a line coach now.

Reaction Score
LOL at anybody thinking that we're going to land an SEC or NFL assistant as our next coach.

I laugh almost as hard at anybody thinking an up and coming MAC or Conference USA coach would jump over to roam the sidelines here. It would be a step down for them at this point.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
LOL at anybody thinking that we're going to land an SEC or NFL assistant as our next coach.

I laugh almost as hard at anybody thinking an up and coming MAC or Conference USA coach would jump over to roam the sidelines here. It would be a step down for them at this point.

Quality first three posts buddy. Really leaves me wanting more of your awesome insights.

Reaction Score
We need a younger top flight assistant from a major program who has a reputation as a top recruiter. He may move on after some success at UConn but we could use some success right now.

Reaction Score
Here's a name - Ken Niumatalolo, Navy.

Program builder, talent developer/maximizer, a winner, in our budget range, mid-to-late 40s in age, east coast guy with connections in mid-atlantic

That would be interesting, do you think his offense would work will with us?

Reaction Score

You should change your handle to embarrassment, cause if you truly are a UCONN fan that is what you are. Go look up Mac coaches salaries and compare it to what we were paying P, then when you have your facts, come back and talk to us. Get some facts and come back.

Reaction Score
Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 1m
Kind of random note here but occurred to me Kevin Gilbride was in the running for the UConn job last time. Wonder if it'll happen again

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo 1m
Another guy looking for a new gig that might make a lot of sense up there in UConn: Jeff Tedford.

As a Giants fan I am cringing at the idea of Kevin Gilbride. When I watch the Giants right now I get the same vibe as I was watching the huskies this season. If you're looking for young, energetic, innovative, the the last person on the list should be Gilbride. That is unless you enjoy shotgun draws on third and longs and bombs on 3rd and shorts.

Reaction Score
As a Giants fan I am cringing at the idea of Kevin Gilbride. When I watch the Giants right now I get the same vibe as I was watching the huskies this season. If you're looking for young, energetic, innovative, the the last person on the list should be Gilbride. That is unless you enjoy shotgun draws on third and longs and bombs on 3rd and shorts.
Same here. I'd be happy if Gilbride stays far far away from the UConn job.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Can salary offset prestige? It's a serious question, this program obviously has it's flaws that will detract from getting a real quality candidate but can that be counteracted by increasing the salary to a larger amount? I don't like spending other people's money but it seems based on what I read that Burton is the kind of guy who just might be willing to pony up to ensure the program gets a quality hire.

Reaction Score
I actually really like the Shawn Watson (Louisville) and Tom Herman (Ohio State) suggestions from the USA Today article. That could be exciting.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As an NFL fan I gringe at the thought of Gilbride. Isn't one of Mr. Manuel's goals to find a young (exciting) offensive oriented coach? Gibride is neither young nor exciting and the cornerstones of the Giants have been defense not Gilbride's tired old "Coach" Pasqualoni-esque type offense.

Mr. Manuel may not notice that my pittance of a donation has been diverted elsewhere, but he will surely notice the lack of donation from Mr. Burton if he goes the Old NFL Lifer route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom