The Next Head Coach | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, this seems like a poor way to go about it.

I would think you'd prioritize individuals on whom you have some referrals. The are guys who everyone knows are sure things. All UConn needs to do is ID one a few years before everyone else.

I go back to the Bill O'Brien hire at PSU. You could use Tressel, Meyer, even Rich Rod before there first big job. No one had heard of these guys, yet when you hear about their selection, they all sound the same. Some version of " I knew he'd be a great HC."

The same thing happened when Calhoun was picked. Bobby Knight said the same thing. A guy like Lew Perkins or Jon Toner knew the circuit and can ID candidates.

Using a search firm will get you unsolicited resumes pushed on you by a firm with an interest in making a hire.

Maybe this helps explain it better than I can - too lazy to type today... http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...re-changing-the-business-of-college-coaching/

They are not using search firms to gather resumes...

Reaction Score
UConnReport
1:40pm via Web
Hearing from a source that Eric Mangini would listen if #UConn reached out to him about the job

Gawd - December can't come quick 'nuff!!! Guessing Mangini's agent sent an email or made a call.

Colin Cowherd@ESPN_Colin
Before UConn gets destroyed by Michigan lets throw this out there---Eric Mangini--next UConn HC. Homeboy.

This is a month old, but I don't think it was posted here. I gotta admit i'm intrigued by Mangini and think he should get an interview.

On the upside he could be a Bill O'Brien/Saban on the downside he could be Charlie Weiss. He definitely would generate a lot of publicity for the program. Having coached for the Jets and Pats will be a huge plus on recruiting trips in the Northeast and wearing a Super Bowl ring doesn't hurt recruiting.

Hopefully working with Jim Harbaugh helps him become a better coach; the guy has definitely worked with the best.

Reaction Score
Disappointed much Colin?
Cowherd also said on his show UCONN was going to the B1G a few years ago...I don't believe much that comes from him unless he is interviewing someone.

Reaction Score
Cowherd also said on his show UCONN was going to the B1G a few years ago...I don't believe much that comes from him unless he is interviewing someone.

After how everything broke, I now wonder if he was trolling us.

Reaction Score

Sounds like Clawson at Bowling Green, Lembo at Ball State, Moorehead at Fordham, and Ambrose pose a great start in the search.
Would rather go with a candidate with HC experience proving he can "adapt" to every situation than a high flying OC at a p5 school who is used to getting
in 4 & 5 stars and FOCUS on candidates like the 4 guys above who have proven they can adapt, recruit, build, coach up and WIN!!.
All of the 4 above proved they can SELL a losing program and non power school and found the players that would want to come and spill their guts out.
All are mentally tough, no nonsense and have proven they can do it. Every body has to read the article on Clawson and Bowling Green on his background and how he managed to sell the programs
in each of his stops. He adapted each situation to fit what he had on the field. (WHAT A breath of fresh air coming from the GDL/PP style ). Current salaries notwithstanding make them affordable
rather than a OC/DC from a big program.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Clawson at Bowling Green, Lembo at Ball State, Moorehead at Fordham, and Ambrose pose a great start in the search.
Would rather go with a candidate with HC experience proving he can "adapt" to every situation than a high flying OC at a p5 school who is used to getting
in 4 & 5 stars and FOCUS on candidates like the 4 guys above who have proven they can adapt, recruit, build, coach up and WIN!!.
All of the 4 above proved they can SELL a losing program and non power school and found the players that would want to come and spill their guts out.
All are mentally tough, no nonsense and have proven they can do it. Every body has to read the article on Clawson and Bowling Green on his background and how he managed to sell the programs
in each of his stops. He adapted each situation to fit what he had on the field. (WHAT A breath of fresh air coming from the GDL/PP style ). Current salaries notwithstanding make them affordable
rather than a OC/DC from a big program.
Clawson's stop at Tennessee was anything BUT outstanding. I will be VERY surprised if any of these 4 ends up as the next UCONN football coach.

Reaction Score
Clawson's stop at Tennessee was anything BUT outstanding. I will be VERY surprised if any of these 4 ends up as the next UCONN football coach.

That was the knock against Addazio last time around. (a bad showing as OC at Florida). The one thing Clawson has that Addazio didn't have is a successful record as head coach.

Reaction Score
Coley is a great recruiter...kids respond to him. He never got to call plays as FSU's OC (Jimbo does) so he moved to Miami to pursue his calling. He will make a good HC...but as a hands on recruiter, he is at his best.
I think Warde will go after someone like Coley or Kirby Smart. Will have to poney up the bucks, especially for Smart. Warde AND Susan need to show the Big 10 that they are serious about football. I like Joe Moorehead and hope he applies, but Warde and/or Susan might opt for a Smart/Coley type. There is a lot going on right now behind the scenes concerning UCONN getting a Big Ten invite, that's why I think UCONN will pay whatever it takes to get a Smart or Coley, or a Big 10 OC/DC.

Reaction Score
I think Warde will go after someone like Coley or Kirby Smart. Will have to poney up the bucks, especially for Smart. Warde AND Susan need to show the Big 10 that they are serious about football. I like Joe Moorehead and hope he applies, but Warde and/or Susan might opt for a Smart/Coley type. There is a lot going on right now behind the scenes concerning UCONN getting a Big Ten invite, that's why I think UCONN will pay whatever it takes to get a Smart or Coley, or a Big 10 OC/DC.

Smart won't consider UCONN for one second, like Scott Frost, he will have his choice of BCS school openings.

Coley would be a huge get, I like him alot.

Reaction Score

Honest question - what makes anyone think that Kirby Smart would leave being the DC @ Bama to come coach UConn? It's not the money - he's passed over/interviewed for big program jobs previously where he would get a huge bump in pay from the mil he's making now. IMO - He's patiently waiting for waiting for Saban to roll or Richt to get flipped out. He's not looking for a stepping stone - he's looking for the destination job.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While there likely will be a few current high profile assistants who (due to the fact that they will receive offers at P5 schools that won't be a dead end job) will not consider us, I have a strong suspicion that our opening is a bit more desirable than many want to believe.

We are a marquee name with leadership that is determined to demonstrate a commitment to success in all aspects of the university. There are already some quality names who see this and have made their interest in the position clear.

Reaction Score
While there likely will be a few current high profile assistants who (due to the fact that they will receive offers at P5 schools that won't be a dead end job) will not consider us, I have a strong suspicion that our opening is a bit more desirable than many want to believe.

We are a marquee name with leadership that is determined to demonstrate a commitment to success in all aspects of the university. There are already some quality names who see this and have made their interest in the position clear.

Don't disagree w/ your premise at all but do you think Kirby Smart is really a viable candidate?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Honest question - what makes anyone think that Kirby Smart would leave being the DC @ Bama to come coach UConn? It's not the money - he's passed over/interviewed for big program jobs previously where he would get a huge bump in pay from the mil he's making now. IMO - He's patiently waiting for waiting for Saban to roll or Richt to get flipped out. He's not looking for a stepping stone - he's looking for the destination job.

I agree with you on Kirby but the possibility does exist (similar to men's women's hoops 25+ years ago) that a position that appears to be a steppingstone may evolve into a destination. JC believed from day one (with proper support, which needed a bit of prodding) we could be a destination. Geno saw us solely as a starter job, a place where he could do enough to get his next, higher level, head coaching job. He found out during the process that this was the next, higher level job.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Don't disagree w/ your premise at all but do you think Kirby Smart is really a viable candidate?

My response was to supporter's post, not yours. You can see I responded to yours while you were posing the above question. I believe that both Frost and Smart are looking for P5 jobs where they can win (Georgia or Nebraska, not Indiana).

There are however candidates who will have to choose between waiting for something that may never materialize, taking a P5 job where nobody has ever been able to succeed or a school that once it does demonstrate the ability to sustain success in football will be offered a spot in a P5 conference. We can land one of those guys.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on Kirby but the possibility does exist (similar to men's women's hoops 25+ years ago) that a position that appears to be a steppingstone may evolve into a destination. JC believed from day one (with proper support, which needed a bit of prodding) we could be a destination. Geno saw us solely as a starter job, a place where he could do enough to get his next, higher level, head coaching job. He found out during the process that this was the next, higher level job.

I think many coaches will start to see the job security in building a program and becoming a lifer there. Chris Peterson and Frank Beamer come to mind. I understand that many will see UCONN as a stepping stone, but I don't disagree that some will treat it as a destination.

Reaction Score
My response was to supporter's post, not yours. You can see I responded to yours while you were posing the above question. I believe that both Frost and Smart are looking for P5 jobs where they can win (Georgia or Nebraska, not Indiana).

There are however candidates who will have to choose between waiting for something that may never materialize, taking a P5 job where nobody has ever been able to succeed or a school that once it does demonstrate the ability to sustain success in football will be offered a spot in a P5 conference. We can land one of those guys.

Got ya - crossing posts. I agree.

We have something that is desirable - I just worry that folks will think that anyone less than a KS, a SF, a Chad Morris or other highly coveted ACs will be perceived as a failure by SH/WM, etc.. Many times that "splash" hire ends up being just a "belly-flop".

Reaction Score
Smart won't consider UCONN for one second, like Scott Frost, he will have his choice of BCS school openings.

Smart is a long shot but I think he might sniff at $2.5 or $3 mil/yr, which is cheap if it helps Susan and Warde buy their way into the Big 10. Warde knows he needs to make a statement to the Big 10, to recruits and their parents, to the media, to supporters like Mr Burton, etc. $3mil or more does all that in one shot. Sure it doesn't have to be Smart, could be Coley or someone similar.

Reaction Score

Have felt like this since before Edsall left.

Do you think if we were in the top25 like UCF, we would have a 1/4, empty stadium? We need the right guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
THE LAST GUY I WANT TO SEE!!!!!! He was a disaster as a HC in the NFL...has zero college experience recruiting. The younger version of the guy who was just fired!!!

Plus, he's a rat.

Reaction Score
Have felt like this since before Edsall left.

Do you think if we were in the top25 like UCF, we would have a 1/4, empty stadium? We need the right guy.
UCONN is going places. Warde can sell that to high profile applicants.

Reaction Score
This fugging defense is incredibly bad. WRs wide open. RBs untouched through the hole. Ugh

Reaction Score

If Smart doesn't consider us then I don't see how Coley would.. We (WM and SH) need to sell this program as a major opportunity to build something special to any coach of significance.. Right now (as we get our a**es whooped by UCF) it looks pretty grim...

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It's time to completely clean house. We haven't been remotely competitive on the road this year. Emotionally we are on the bus back to the hotel before halftime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom