The next head coach for Penn State will be? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next head coach for Penn State will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He wouldn't even have been considered. Not for a second.

The NCAA? Really? There is nothing for them to look at.
In normal times, you are right, Edsall wouldn't be considered. In this situation, had he stayed at UCONN and maybe squeezed out 7-5, he's on the list.

As far as the NCAA, they are looking. lack of Institutional Control. You and I might think of it as piling on or even completely inappropriate, but they are in fact looking and who knows what they'll find or what they'll do about it. that unknown is going to be tricky too. A new coach is facing a raft of negative publicity already, plus potential NCAA sanctions on top of that. Plus the other stuff I mentioned. Not exactly a perfect setup for success.

Reaction Score
In normal times, you are right, Edsall wouldn't be considered. In this situation, had he stayed at UCONN and maybe squeezed out 7-5, he's on the list.

As far as the NCAA, they are looking. lack of Institutional Control. You and I might think of it as piling on or even completely inappropriate, but they are in fact looking and who knows what they'll find or what they'll do about it. that unknown is going to be tricky too. A new coach is facing a raft of negative publicity already, plus potential NCAA sanctions on top of that. Plus the other stuff I mentioned. Not exactly a perfect setup for success.

There is no lack of institutional control.

There's a huge difference between what happened and lack of control. Even if they didn't do the moral thing, they all complied. McQueary reported it to Paterno who reported it to the AD and head of campus police who reported it to the President who consulted lawyers and decided it didn't meet the threshold for reporting it to law enforcement. They were wrong, they failed morally, but they followed institutional protocols. The only thing the NCAA can ding them on is the criminal trials for perjury, but given the recent pretrial testimony, impartial legal observers say the chances of those charges sticking are remote--to say the least.

Reaction Score
I see that even now some Penn State people wont come down off of their high horse. You'll be lucky if the NCAA doesn't find a reason to step in on a program that enabled child molestation. For years you people pointed the finger at other programs and acted as if you were some bastion of moral superiority. Well you weren't, and you were actually the worst of the worst. And yet you still think you are entitled to some sort of high profile coach. You guys should just be happy to have football after this.

Reaction Score
I see that even now some Penn State people wont come down off of their high horse. You'll be lucky if the NCAA doesn't find a reason to step in on a program that enabled child molestation. For years you people pointed the finger at other programs and acted as if you were some bastion of moral superiority. Well you weren't, and you were actually the worst of the worst. And yet you still think you are entitled to some sort of high profile coach. You guys should just be happy to have football after this.

One of the most bizarre posts ever. What can the NCAA ding them on? Entitled has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about what's going to happen. And--Miami of all programs is the last that should be lecturing.

Reaction Score
Miami, or pretty much any other program for that matter, is more than justified in "lecturing" you. You don't get the moral high ground after this, not ever. Not after what has gone on at Penn State. If it makes you feel better to believe otherwise than so be it, but what you really should do is just shut up and take your medicine while trying to figure out how this was allowed to happen.

Reaction Score
Miami, or pretty much any other program for that matter, is more than justified in "lecturing" you. You don't get the moral high ground after this, not ever. Not after what has gone on at Penn State. If it makes you feel better to believe otherwise than so be it, but what you really should do is just shut up and take your medicine while trying to figure out how this was allowed to happen.

You talk as if you're speaking to Paterno. Lol upstater had nothing more to do with the tragedy there than you did. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score

Miami, a school that has cheated to gain an advantage on the field time after time after time, can't lecture anyone. You guys don't even have a football program or any wins for that matter. All your victories are based on payoffs and phony "student athletes" on the field.

Penn State, on the other hand, while maintaining a decent semblance of what it means to compete and be a real student, one of the few programs with no NCAA probations, and ironically won the top award for academics this year, allowed a monster to use its facilities and didn't properly report him.

Those are the differences here. PSU up bigtime, unforgiveably, on a big issue OUTSIDE the football program. Miami, on the other hand, deliberately cheats year after year. You might as well not even have a football program. What's the point of you having one?

Penn State, on the other hand, can clean house, fire everyone, and guess what? PSU can say, "Let's get back to doing things the way we always did when it comes to making athletes go to class, not paying athletes, not cheating. Miami can't say, "Let's go back to doing it the Miami way."

Reaction Score
The reason I speak like this is because he seems hell bent on acting as if things can just go back to "normal" up there after this. It's human nature to defend your university but he seems to go beyond that to me. All this talk of "they did everything right" and "they should get a high profile coach" just seems ridiculous to me. Clearly I don't lump someone that seems to be a pretty good guy in with the scumbags that enabled this behavior, I just don't understand why he seems to still hold on to the view that Penn State is somehow better than anyone else when this scandal has placed them on such a horrible light.

Reaction Score
The reason I speak like this is because he seems hell bent on acting as if things can just go back to "normal" up there after this. It's human nature to defend your university but he seems to go beyond that to me. All this talk of "they did everything right" and "they should get a high profile coach" just seems ridiculous to me. Clearly I don't lump someone that seems to be a pretty good guy in with the scumbags that enabled this behavior, I just don't understand why he seems to still hold on to the view that Penn State is somehow better than anyone else when this scandal has placed them on such a horrible light.

I fail to understand how you misinterpreted my posts. Everyone here knows that I called for the heads of PSU's bosses as soon as this came out in the news. All I said was that the NCAA has nothing to go on because there was no lack of institutional control. They did things by the book. In fact, that's why people are so teed off, because they did things by the book, and nothing more. Why is that so hard to understand?

Furthermore, whether they should or shouldn't get a high profile coach is irrelevant (I don't even understand why you're bringing up the argument since this is a multimillion dollar enterprise, and if you're deliberately saying you shouldn't get the best coach you can, then why even have a football team? Why even bother?). They're going to get who they're going to get in the end. It's pretty simple.

Reaction Score
See, your last two posts illustrate the thinking that drives me crazy. The whole idea that Penn State is better than anyone else is just insane to me. There was a time that I might have agreed but not after this. As for the coach, of course you should aim high but don't act like it is some given that big time guys want that job right now.

Anyway, I also want you to know that this isn't personal despite the fact that I believe you have been way off in some of your statements regarding Miami. I actually think we both want the same thing in regard to college athletics although I am fairly sure that I have a more extreme idea about the way it should be run.

No more fighting, time for Christmas!

Reaction Score
See, your last two posts illustrate the thinking that drives me crazy. The whole idea that Penn State is better than anyone else is just insane to me. There was a time that I might have agreed but not after this. As for the coach, of course you should aim high but don't act like it is some given that big time guys want that job right now.

Anyway, I also want you to know that this isn't personal despite the fact that I believe you have been way off in some of your statements regarding Miami. I actually think we both want the same thing in regard to college athletics although I am fairly sure that I have a more extreme idea about the way it should be run.

No more fighting, time for Christmas!

No fighting here. I'm of the belief that all coaches know what's going on with their players. I experienced it firsthand at a couple places. I believe the people at Miami knew, Ohio state knew, USC knew, Penn State knew, Boeheim knew, Tom Bradley knew, etc. I didn't say PSU was better than anyone else, but better than most, yes. What I did say instead was they haven't been on any probation. Put simply, the school doesn't cheat. That's all I meant.

I still don't understand what the big deal is about the coaching. It's not me talking about who they are going to get; the search committee is negotiating with those people.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Tom Brady probably asked him to leave.

Reaction Score
And CBS gets it wrong again.

My prediction: Munchak if Tennessee is knocked out of playoffs today with a Raiders loss. Tom Bradley if this doesn't happen.

Why would an NFL head coach leave to take over Penn State? Makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
Why would an NFL head coach leave to take over Penn State? Makes no sense to me.

He's a Penn Stater. NFL coaches have left for much less. Fairbanks, Petrino, Saban, etc.

Reaction Score
Wow. I don't even think they can credibly call that a Plan D if that report is accurate. There's a lot of PSU people floated out some ridiculous names out there.

The only big names floated by credible PSU people are Munchak, Petersen, Richt. The other stuff has all been made up by the media. I expect it's going to be Munchak unless the Raiders win.

Reaction Score
He's a Penn Stater. NFL coaches have left for much less. Fairbanks, Petrino, Saban, etc.

I believe Saban and Petrino were leaving a step ahead of being asked to leave. Neither had what you could call great NFL success. Fairbanks was being offered far more by Colorado than he was getting from the Patriots. He was also leaving the disaster known as the Sullivan Family.

I understand he is a Penn State guy, however why leave a good NFL gig for a horrible situation in State College. Can't see enough positives.

Reaction Score

Well Petrino and Saban left because they clearly realized that they weren't cut out for the NFL, especially with what they could command on the collegiate level. Fairbanks was too damn long ago for me to remember.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Petrino was only in his first year with Atlanta, wasn't he? Probably too early to have been fired. But he'd already lost the locker room IIRC, so who knows.

Reaction Score
I believe Saban and Petrino were leaving a step ahead of being asked to leave. Neither had what you could call great NFL success. Fairbanks was being offered far more by Colorado than he was getting from the Patriots. He was also leaving the disaster known as the Sullivan Family.

I understand he is a Penn State guy, however why leave a good NFL gig for a horrible situation in State College. Can't see enough positives.

Loyalty, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and the situation can turn around on a dime with Munchak in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom