The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not only did Hurley pass the test but he has us clicking on all cylinders at the right time. I'm still nervous that we will go cold and throw up a stinker but it seems less likely than it did two weeks ago. He has Polley and Hawkins scoring and driving to the hoop, Gaffney contributing something, everyone playing great D and the offense is flowing much better. Feels a lot like when a Jim Calhoun team came together.

Btw, I'm a huge RJ Cole fan but I've been a little harsh on his natural PG abilities. I expected him to be a better distributor and scorer coming in last year. This kid has really refined his game. He is scoring at all levels, using the midrange beautifully and he's really begun to turn into much more of a natural looking PG. Everything about his game has gone up a notch in the last month.
Big thing is, is that we’re hitting our three’s and Hawkins/Polley are taking Gaffney’s minutes. We need to continue to hit threes so teams can’t sag and double Sanogo. Keeping Cole and Sanogo out of foul trouble is the number one priority.

Reaction Score
I assuming this was an attempt at humor or sarcasm.
I mean to take a sentence out of the entire post is disingenuous at best. I was obviously playing devils advocate or “worst case scenario”. My point was if this was al Hurley ever accomplishes here and he’s just a stepping stone the hire would still be a success. Don’t be a dunce

Reaction Score
Let’s just say Danny is a stepping stone to another coach who will take us to the next level. He’s still accomplished what he was brought here to do. Restore the brand. I believe he can be more than that. But we are lucky to have him here in storrs. Who knows where we’d be if we had to hire someone like Frank freaking Martin.
For Context

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
I’ll just say I’m glad Hurley is are guy. As fans we have the oxymoronic “objective” right to criticize when we feel “just” lol. But am thankful for coach. He has the personality a lot of these stiffs are missing and is getting the job done. Good Entertainment these Huskies are.

Reaction Score
For Context

I understand what you're saying...since it hit me wrong when I read it first as well.

as a devils advocate (for the really negative trolls here), worst case, IF, Hurley was seen by those trolls as some sort of "stepping stone" coach, and not THE guy - how can you be mad right now?

If you are one of those miserable people who was never high on Hurley, even you should be satisfied/thrilled with what he has done here in 4 short years.

The program was circling the drain, Hurley made UConn nationally relevant, brought in NBA lottery level talent, has developed players, won big games, gone to 1 tournament as a 7 seed (2014 we were a 7 seed), and will go to a second consecutive tournament as a top 4/5 seed.

More important - Hurley is very conscious of the UConn brand, is constantly selling it, and has forced us back into the national conversation. You can't talk March basketball without Hurley/UConn now. Everyone should be thankful.

I went to public school so it took me a minute to comprehend.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I mean to take a sentence out of the entire post is disingenuous at best. I was obviously playing devils advocate or “worst case scenario”. My point was if this was al Hurley ever accomplishes here and he’s just a stepping stone the hire would still be a success. Don’t be a dunce
Where on earth did that final sentence come from?

It took you three sentences to set it up. And, quite honestly, each of those sentences has multiple writing errors: in punctuation, word order, and word choice.

If someone questioned something, it, by definition, negates your use of the word "obviously." As such, chastising someone as a "dunce" is much closer to being 'the pot calling the kettle black' than a snappy closeout.

When I slowed things down in order to respectfully decode your writing, I could make it make sense, but to do so I had to subvocalize as I reread, playback what I'd heard as though it was conversational speech, and then listen to the words for message comprehension.

If someone has to rethink or reprocess what you've written in order to make best sense of it, have the self-awareness & self-control to back off from calling them a "dunce."

Did you dictate this message, such that punctuation got the short shrift? That possibility would better explain it, but it wouldn't excuse its deficiencies.

Again, I agree with your 'dayenu' argument about Hurley, if one were to take the present as his worst case peak, not that you think it is. To me, your weak writing left some people unclear, and that's not a proper dunking platform.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I never said Hurley was a stepping stone. It was a devils advocate hypothetical. Reading comprehension is essential
Keep in mind, the Devil really never needs an advocate. That's one of his tricks.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Keep in mind, the Devil really never needs an advocate. That's one of his tricks.
'Keep in mind, the Devil really never needs an advocate. That's one of his tricks.'

his? how do you know der teuffel is a 'he'? i been around, jack, and i've got 'devil in a blue dress' as my vote for what the devil looks like.
here's the proof.

don't be callin ol frank drebin a liar. he's a lieutenant detective, and knows ......stuff.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Your point wasn't that obvious. Heck, it still isn't even after your explanation.

Reaction Score
'Keep in mind, the Devil really never needs an advocate. That's one of his tricks.'

his? how do you know der teuffel is a 'he'? i been around, jack, and i've got 'devil in a blue dress' as my vote for what the devil looks like.
here's the proof.

don't be callin ol frank drebin a liar. he's a lieutenant detective, and knows ......stuff.

You answered your own question: Der Teufel. It's not die nor das Teufel.

Reaction Score
Your point wasn't that obvious. Heck, it still isn't even after your explanation.
I gotta say, your selective quoting was very misleading. Regardless of whether or not you understand the entirety of @AntG168's point, it is clear that you knowingly misrepresented him (or you didn't understand his post at the most basic level). You excerpted a piece of his post and implied that he claimed that Hurley has shown that he will only be a short term coach at UConn. A third grader would read the original post and understand that Ant was just granting a premise for the sake of an argument. He obviously was not claiming to hold said premise to be true. In fact, his post made it clear he does not think Hurley is a "stepping stone."

So, were you just being a richard (like I am right now :)) or is your reading comprehension below third grade level?

Reaction Score
Regardless of the stepping stone comment, Hurley is definitely trending in the right direction.

I've posted before that DH has never been in a situation like this in a major conference. Yet, because of his pedigree and the trajectory of his career, we just expected success. It's not really fair to him. Bumps and setbacks should be expected. Responding to adversity is how a coach grows.

It took Jim Calhoun over a decade to get to a Final Four. It may take Hurley some time as well. His 4-0 record in the last four games is a very good sign. It does tell us something about him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The progress this team and the coaches have made over the course of this season re: figuring out how to close out games has been impressive. Games will continue to get more difficult going into BET and Big Dance.

Lets get 'r' dun.

Reaction Score
One thing to think about with Hurley is how many coached nationally would you trade him for if that was a thing? The list is very short and I think we have a much better situation than alot of blue bloods including many with larger budgets than us

Reaction Score
I love these threads.

I mean whoever said Hurley beat 1 ranked team at URI must not have google access from their recess time at Cheshire Correctional.

I mean in reverse, beat OU and Trae Young in the NCAA, beat Seton Hall, beat a good Creighton team in the tourney, beat Mick Cronin's Cinci, beat Nebraska. Won an A-10 title and tournament too. URI sucks. He won there. Who is knocking that?

This whole season - there was one game that wasn't 50/50 and that was at Nova. Also the toughest game on the schedule (unless you count#5 Auburn on a neutral floor. We won that game).

Pretty sure we avenged that with a win against Nova at home.

We have 1 Q2 loss. Every other loss is Q1 and by two possessions or less. We didn't have Sanogo and lost to PC by 4.

If you have a problem with what Hurley's done at this point you're just miserable. Go root for Duke or the NBA if you can't appreciate the rebuild Hurley took on and where he's gotten us.

Love your energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22