The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where on earth did that final sentence come from?

It took you three sentences to set it up. And, quite honestly, each of those sentences has multiple writing errors: in punctuation, word order, and word choice.

If someone questioned something, it, by definition, negates your use of the word "obviously." As such, chastising someone as a "dunce" is much closer to being 'the pot calling the kettle black' than a snappy closeout.

When I slowed things down in order to respectfully decode your writing, I could make it make sense, but to do so I had to subvocalize as I reread, playback what I'd heard as though it was conversational speech, and then listen to the words for message comprehension.

If someone has to rethink or reprocess what you've written in order to make best sense of it, have the self-awareness & self-control to back off from calling them a "dunce."

Did you dictate this message, such that punctuation got the short shrift? That possibility would better explain it, but it wouldn't excuse its deficiencies.

Again, I agree with your 'dayenu' argument about Hurley, if one were to take the present as his worst case peak, not that you think it is. To me, your weak writing left some people unclear, and that's not a proper dunking platform.
@Hans Sprungfeld you just blew my mind. The Boneyard was among the last places I thought I’d ever see the Hebrew word “dayenu” used. And used properly as a point of emphasis. Magnificent.

Reaction Score
Where on earth did that final sentence come from?

It took you three sentences to set it up. And, quite honestly, each of those sentences has multiple writing errors: in punctuation, word order, and word choice.

If someone questioned something, it, by definition, negates your use of the word "obviously." As such, chastising someone as a "dunce" is much closer to being 'the pot calling the kettle black' than a snappy closeout.

When I slowed things down in order to respectfully decode your writing, I could make it make sense, but to do so I had to subvocalize as I reread, playback what I'd heard as though it was conversational speech, and then listen to the words for message comprehension.

If someone has to rethink or reprocess what you've written in order to make best sense of it, have the self-awareness & self-control to back off from calling them a "dunce."

Did you dictate this message, such that punctuation got the short shrift? That possibility would better explain it, but it wouldn't excuse its deficiencies.

Again, I agree with your 'dayenu' argument about Hurley, if one were to take the present as his worst case peak, not that you think it is. To me, your weak writing left some people unclear, and that's not a proper dunking platform.
LOL You sure can make posters scared to post.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I gotta say, your selective quoting was very misleading. Regardless of whether or not you understand the entirety of @AntG168's point, it is clear that you knowingly misrepresented him (or you didn't understand his post at the most basic level). You excerpted a piece of his post and implied that he claimed that Hurley has shown that he will only be a short term coach at UConn. A third grader would read the original post and understand that Ant was just granting a premise for the sake of an argument. He obviously was not claiming to hold said premise to be true. In fact, his post made it clear he does not think Hurley is a "stepping stone."

So, were you just being a richard (like I am right now :)) or is your reading comprehension below third grade level?
Who are you again?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Where else would he read Zippy the Pinhead or This Modern World though? Not to mention racy personal ads.
You answering weakly or weekly?

That’s a you issue
Boldly expressed, but not necessarily so.
'Keep in mind, the Devil really never needs an advocate. That's one of his tricks.'

his? how do you know der teuffel is a 'he'? i been around, jack, and i've got 'devil in a blue dress' as my vote for what the devil looks like.
here's the proof.

don't be callin ol frank drebin a liar. he's a lieutenant detective, and knows ......stuff.

Devil's tricks just keep on comin'.

I gotta say, your selective quoting was very misleading. Regardless of whether or not you understand the entirety of @AntG168's point, it is clear that you knowingly misrepresented him (or you didn't understand his post at the most basic level). You excerpted a piece of his post and implied that he claimed that Hurley has shown that he will only be a short term coach at UConn. A third grader would read the original post and understand that Ant was just granting a premise for the sake of an argument. He obviously was not claiming to hold said premise to be true. In fact, his post made it clear he does not think Hurley is a "stepping stone."

So, were you just being a richard (like I am right now :)) or is your reading comprehension below third grade level?
Third grade? So far from plausible that I don't thinking doubling it would do the lifting.

Wasn't he getting a check on sarcasm?

How would "Yes" not suffice?

Or even "Of course," rather than claiming "obvious[ness] and charging "dunce" in the pushback?

It's not necessary, but I believe that I could correctly argue that, as written, the questioned sentence could have been read two ways: that Hurley could be using UConn as a stepping stone OR that UConn could ascend further up from someone like Hurley, such that he would end up having been used as a stepping stone by UConn.

As an opening statement, its reach exceeded its grasp.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
LOL You sure can make posters scared to post.

ONLY when they obviously overreach, such as when calling people "dunces," with a post that is filled with errors and ambiguities.

If people think twice before calling others unwarranted names, I think that's a plus.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@Hans Sprungfeld you just blew my mind. The Boneyard was among the last places I thought I’d ever see the Hebrew word “dayenu” used. And used properly as a point of emphasis. Magnificent.

Thanks. I wondered if anyone would appreciate it.

We shouldn't be limited to making good use of it only once (or twice) a year. And what better way to signal comprehension of his point to a company my agreement with it, using both as part of my foundation for legitimate criticism of his writing mechanics and interpersonal tone.

I like off-season charoset as well.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I wondered if anyone would appreciate it.

We shouldn't be limited to making good use of it only once (or twice) a year. And what better way to signal comprehension of his point to a company my agreement with it, using both as part of my foundation for legitimate criticism of his writing mechanics and interpersonal tone.

I like off-season charoset as well.
I am so with you on the off-season charoset. Aggressive with the cinnamon and Pink Lady apples please.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I was glad not to find mine among them. Avoiding drunk posting helps.
Lately I've learned not to stupid in public. I try to keep my episodes of stupid private. Not cutting down on the episodes, just not sharing them.

Reaction Score
“…So buckle up. It's fair to say these next four games wil define the season.“

No he wasn’t.
Bolding it does not make any less wrong.

They aren’t a good team. When we scrape by Grambling and UMES and other bottom of the barrel teams and people are content with that, we lose games to west va and PC. Teams we should beat and our issues never get fixed
See, bolding that does not make it any less wrong.

Reaction Score
You answering weakly or weekly?

Boldly expressed, but not necessarily so.

Devil's tricks just keep on comin'.

Third grade? So far from plausible that I don't thinking doubling it would do the lifting.

Wasn't he getting a check on sarcasm?

How would "Yes" not suffice?

Or even "Of course," rather than claiming "obvious[ness] and charging "dunce" in the pushback?

It's not necessary, but I believe that I could correctly argue that, as written, the questioned sentence could have been read two ways: that Hurley could be using UConn as a stepping stone OR that UConn could ascend further up from someone like Hurley, such that he would end up having been used as a stepping stone by UConn.

As an opening statement, its reach exceeded its grasp.
Did you read the original post in question in its entirety, Hans? It can not be read in either of the two ways you suggested. It obviously (sic) means, "I don't agree... " (he's responding to someone that is indeed suggesting that Hurley is a temporary solution to serve as a stepping stone between Ollie and our Next Great Coach) "... that Hurley is a stepping stone, but, for the sake of the following argument, we can assume he is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom