The next dominoes (September 17 edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (September 17 edition)

Reaction Score
three-bulldogs.jpg

Reaction Score
SunBelt is better.
In the Massey composite rankings, 44 of 58 ratings have SB > AAC.
I criticized Aresco for years for his basketball ignorance. But when it comes to football survival only an ignorant person would criticize his achievements other than the severely undervalued media contract .
Your Sunbelt is a nice minor league conference of overachieving teams who would kill to get in the AAC and actually have a media deal they make < $500K per team
UConn fans have an unhealthy view of the AAC but most really haven’t a clue what they are talking about
The AAC started with 9 teams , 5 are now in power conferences
Yet the league still manages to reinvent itself the PAC folded under similar stress .
The New teams added were obviously for Market potential and a closer look reveals someone did their homework.
FAU Southern Florida suburbs another large school who is looking to move up
NTS. largest Public in Dallas 46,000 students I Love the Mean Green as a Steeler Fan
UTSA large public in the 7th largest City in the country with no major Team
UNCC Charlotte is the most populous city in NC and that market has less ties to the traditional Raleigh Schools as it’s a huge transient population.
UAB another large school in the Biggest city in Alabama
Rice and prestigious academic school and in Houston Texas
Tulane New Orleans
USF. Tampa
Tulsa. largest city in Oklahoma
Temple. Philadelphia
Memphis
Notice a trend l
Navy a national brand

Possible Army another national brand

The reality was this conference was put together for market potential and that $77,000 contract was the steal if the century
Theiir 2021,conference Championship outdrew the ACC championship by 1,000,000 viewers. Almost all those schools have huge alumni base in large cities

Even the MW can’t draw those numbers. Boise and SDSU were looking to get into the AAC in 2021 .
ECU was his only major mistake .
They also have $99,000,000 in exit fees to dole out plus the old schools get the BB credits .
People believe teams are going anywhere also believe in the Easter Bunny
The New Adds
Army
FAU
Charlotte
UAB
NAVY
ECU
Make that about as regional a football conference as possible for Temple and FAU is coming off a FF .
ESPN is licking its chops over another theft ,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All I said was that the SunBelt was stronger in football. 44 of 58 ratings agree with me.

pj

Reaction Score
I criticized Aresco for years for his basketball ignorance. But when it comes to football survival only an ignorant person would criticize his achievements other than the severely undervalued media contract .
Your Sunbelt is a nice minor league conference of overachieving teams who would kill to get in the AAC and actually have a media deal they make < $500K per team
UConn fans have an unhealthy view of the AAC but most really haven’t a clue what they are talking about
The AAC started with 9 teams , 5 are now in power conferences
Yet the league still manages to reinvent itself the PAC folded under similar stress .
The New teams added were obviously for Market potential and a closer look reveals someone did their homework.
FAU Southern Florida suburbs another large school who is looking to move up
NTS. largest Public in Dallas 46,000 students I Love the Mean Green as a Steeler Fan
UTSA large public in the 7th largest City in the country with no major Team
UNCC Charlotte is the most populous city in NC and that market has less ties to the traditional Raleigh Schools as it’s a huge transient population.
UAB another large school in the Biggest city in Alabama
Rice and prestigious academic school and in Houston Texas
Tulane New Orleans
USF. Tampa
Tulsa. largest city in Oklahoma
Temple. Philadelphia
Memphis
Notice a trend l
Navy a national brand

Possible Army another national brand

The reality was this conference was put together for market potential and that $77,000 contract was the steal if the century
Theiir 2021,conference Championship outdrew the ACC championship by 1,000,000 viewers. Almost all those schools have huge alumni base in large cities

Even the MW can’t draw those numbers. Boise and SDSU were looking to get into the AAC in 2021 .
ECU was his only major mistake .
They also have $99,000,000 in exit fees to dole out plus the old schools get the BB credits .
People believe teams are going anywhere also believe in the Easter Bunny
The New Adds
Army
FAU
Charlotte
UAB
NAVY
ECU
Make that about as regional a football conference as possible for Temple and FAU is coming off a FF .
ESPN is licking its chops over another theft ,

Army and Navy are special, but of the rest, UConn brings a larger market than any of those (state vs cities), and already is the #1 attraction in its market vs those being distant trailers who have to build fans; moreover, the others are just as far back as UConn in terms of need to build competence in football, but they have fewer NIL resources and worse facilities than UConn, so the job should be tougher.

I don't see how you can credit Aresco for much more than surviving. He had a chance to build something competitive with the B12 after they lost Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Nebraska. It's not like KState, Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, WVU are huge media attractions. He didn't negotiate anything attractive enough to keep UConn, Houston, Cincy, UCF, or attract BYU.

We'll see how Aresco does in the next round of media deal negotiations. But I don't think the AAC has much to offer.

Reaction Score
UConn has to turn football season around soon to even be a longshot in realignment. It needs to win six and get to bowl game and win it,

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
We'll see how Aresco does in the next round of media deal negotiations. But I don't think the AAC has much to offer.
Well, Tuesday nights are currently open for college football. ;)

Reaction Score
Half the AAC has left since its last media rights contract was signed. On the next renewal, it will likely payout about what the other G5 leagues payout. I think the Mountain West/PAC will lead. The AAC will likely be next, but not much more than the Sun Belt.

Reaction Score

School administrators indicate an announcement about a Clemson bolt from its growing financial disadvantage in the ACC relative to SEC and Big Ten schools is coming soon, probably along with Florida State and North Carolina and perhaps another ACC school or more — even as University of South Carolina officials try to block Clemson from the SEC.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

School administrators indicate an announcement about a Clemson bolt from its growing financial disadvantage in the ACC relative to SEC and Big Ten schools is coming soon, probably along with Florida State and North Carolina and perhaps another ACC school or more — even as University of South Carolina officials try to block Clemson from the SEC.
Can only hope

Reaction Score

When folks are telegraphing their moves, they are doing it for show.
Clemson aint going anywhere soon.

Reaction Score
I have slipped into the shadows and watched for a few years to see how the posts might change with the times. I have noticed that nothing appears to have changed. Lots of people here claim to be hopeless about UConn's chances joining another conference. Then everyone argues about where UConn will fit best. Here is the rub, I left in silence and will return to my silence as the product in football we put on the field demands only fan support in good times and bad times. A FAN supports their team. I support them. I am not interested in where we will be allowed to play. I say allowed because in truth no conference wants to see UCoon succeed. In fact I would argue the NCAA doesn't want to hand national championship trophies to UConn. So be it, I say let the UConn coaches and administrators worry about these hurdles. As a fan I support the team I cherish regardless but it is literally the only thing and likely the least thing I can do for my beloved Huskies! I can't even bring back my beloved Block "C" so with that - I will return to the shadows, go to the games, yell at bad play calls, poor ref decisions, and lose my voice with loud shouting! Good luck to the rest of you who have higher aspirations but no control in changing the status quo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom