The Next Bond | The Boneyard

The Next Bond

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These Are the Six Leading Candidates to Replace Daniel Craig as the Next James Bond

The leaders per the oddsmakers:

Idris Elba - would have been perfect 10 years ago, but is too old now. He would be 50 before the next one even starts filming.
Tom Hiddleston - I think he would be fine
James Norton - I think he sucks as an actor
Tom Hardy - probably too big a star to be bond, also, on the edge of being too old
Cillian Murphy - same two issues as Hardy
Richard Madden - would be perfect for the role

I don't think he is a bad actor, but I am not a fan of Daniel Craig as Bond. My two favorite Bonds were Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan, even though Brosnan's bond films were not great. Moore and Brosnan didn't take the role too seriously, which made the movies a lot more fun to watch. Craig's Bond movies have been good for the most part, but I just don't like him in the role. He feels like he came out of a Guy Ritchie movie, but without the humor.

I would like an actor to have a little fun with it. The Kingsmen franchise is what Bond should be. The plots are ridiculous, but the movies are just fun.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think he is a bad actor, but I am not a fan of Daniel Craig as Bond.
Craig's Bond movies have been good for the most part, but I just don't like him in the role. He feels like he came out of a Guy Ritchie movie, but without the humor.

Close. I'm fairly certain he got the Bond role because of "Layer Cake," which Ritchie passed on directing, but the producer he'd worked w/ Matthew Vaughan jumped on it.

My two favorite Bonds were Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan, even though Brosnan's bond films were not great. Moore and Brosnan didn't take the role too seriously, which made the movies a lot more fun to watch.

Moore is my favorite. Most say Connery, but Moore was the current Bond when I was old enough to know who the character was, so I guess it's nostalgia.

I would like an actor to have a little fun with it. The Kingsmen franchise is what Bond should be. The plots are ridiculous, but the movies are just fun.

Yes! I think the Brosnan era Bond flicks got too ridiculous and silly, and then the Jason Bourne films came along and kicked their butts, so they had a knee jerk reaction to go w/ the deadly serious, no fun at all, no joking around Craig version of Bond. They could go back to a wise cracking, winking at the camera persona for Bond without having invisible cars or a bad guy w/ diamonds encrusted in his face.

Also, actually liked Timothy Dalton. I'm sure I'm in the minority there too, but I liked his films better than Brosnan's.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Idris Elba - would have been perfect 10 years ago, but is too old now. He would be 50 before the next one even starts filming.
Tom Hardy - probably too big a star to be bond, also, on the edge of being too old

I'd be a little worried if Hiddleston has the physicality for the role, but he's certainly suave enough. I guess he pulled off Loki so maybe it would be okay. I have no idea who Norton is. Hardy would be like Craig, only buffer. He's almost always deadly serious in his roles, have a hard time seeing him being a wise cracker. Murphy too. Elba would of course be something completely different, it would be a big gamble. I like him, maybe he could pull it off. I'm barely familiar w/ Madden.

Reaction Score
These Are the Six Leading Candidates to Replace Daniel Craig as the Next James Bond

The leaders per the oddsmakers:

I don't think he is a bad actor, but I am not a fan of Daniel Craig as Bond. My two favorite Bonds were Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan, even though Brosnan's bond films were not great. Moore and Brosnan didn't take the role too seriously, which made the movies a lot more fun to watch. Craig's Bond movies have been good for the most part, but I just don't like him in the role. He feels like he came out of a Guy Ritchie movie, but without the humor.

If the next Bond isn’t a transgender then there is no justice in the world.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm waiting for something like that. Or Melissa McCarthy.
She was pretty good in Spy, definitely a darkhorse candidate.

@nwhoopfan summed up my view. I like Hardy as choice but he'd essentially be Craig redux
I'd be a little worried if Hiddleston has the physicality for the role, but he's certainly suave enough.
Yep, but he leads for me out the pack. Connery's Bond was my favorite. He had the physicality, but it was a secondary tool for him. The big problem with the Bond franchise is that too often they pick the right guy, but too late his career. Moore when he was doing The Saint would have been perfect. Brosnan would have been perfect during his Remington Steele years but got hung in a contract dispute. Dalton came in to late as well.

Hiddleston is 38, he can pull off the sophistication and his fighting style can be adjusted to handle the brawling scenes. I actually like the physicality in the role. It just need to be brute strength.

My ranking of the Bonds would be:
Connery
Craig
and then... wait for it...
Lazenby (I may be the only person on the planet who didn't mind him in the role.)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did you catch The Night Manager? That makes me think it could work. I heard Pierce Brosnan is pretty slight.

Haven't seen that. With some work in the gym and good fight choreography, Hollywood is pretty good at making some actors/actresses look like convincing brawlers on screen that you wouldn't expect it from. So I guess it shouldn't really be a problem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm waiting for something like that. Or Melissa McCarthy.
After Ziva (an attractive brunette) left NCIS, I predicted the show was so popular that they would do something different. Like replace her with a gay guy. Nope, they went with the cute blond.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tom Hardy would make a hash of it.

Elba would have been perfect - Madden is perfect.

I think Craig has been a good Bond - the tone of the movies changed a bit, but I don’t think that was his doing. It almost seemed like they decided to make Jason Bourne movies.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Craig has been a good Bond - the tone of the movies changed a bit, but I don’t think that was his doing. It almost seemed like they decided to make Jason Bourne movies.

That's what I meant by an overreaction. They just needed to tone down how ludicrous the movies were getting, not totally change what had made the Bond character what it was for multiple decades.

Reaction Score
Hiddleston would be the perfect choice to bring the youth and humor that the role could use to freshen it up a bit.

Daniel Stevens would be a pretty good choice too.

Elba and Hardy are both too mumble-mouthed to pull of the suaveness of the character.

I don't think Murphy could convincingly pull off the physicality of the role.

Have no idea who Norton even is.

Madden might be alright. I'm guessing it's on the basis of his performance in Bodyguard that put him under consideration? Haven't seen it yet.

Daniel Kaluuya from Get Out would be a good choice.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think Murphy could convincingly pull off the physicality of the role.

After his turn in Batman, I'd have agreed. But he was pretty convincing in Peaky Blinders. Still, I think he's too "fine featured" to pull it off - too unique a face to really pass off as a secret agent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Am I the only one who read this and thought:

tumblr_mk3bqsJVbN1qi6xywo1_250.gif

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I watched Kingsmen: Golden Circle again last night. This franchise has really boxed Bond in. The cartoon violence, ridiculous plots, and over the top villains together with endless one liners make for a mindless, fun experience. Kingsmen is 2 for 2 now, delivering exactly that the movie advertises. This movie has issues (I never completely understood Julianne Moore's schtick, and Pedro Pascal's Mexican/Southern accident was confusing) but it was a fun flick.

Does Bond copy it, or do they go deeper into the morose anti-hero heaviness of Daniel Craig's movies?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
JAmes Norton is the protagonist in Happy Valley. Overall, an intense actor, but there are moments I feel he is overacting and the director decided not to reshoot, or something. I can't see him as Bond.

Now if you want humor back in the game then Simon Pegg is the guy!!!

Reaction Score
Now if you want humor back in the game then Simon Pegg is the guy!!!
Hot Fuzz and the Mission Impossibles he’s in are good enough to scratch that itch. I know you were being facetious but I just wanted a chance to bring up Hot Fuzz.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I will just add two things:

1. The Bond franchise has lost so much relevance due to number of other/better action franchises that it's not worth making any more movies unless you are British.

2. Roger Moore was to Bond as Adam West was to Batman. The correct order is Connery, Dalton, Craig, Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby. Brosnan is to Bond and Crowe is to Robin Hood.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will just add two things:

1. The Bond franchise has lost so much relevance due to number of other/better action franchises that it's not worth making any more movies unless you are British.

2. Roger Moore was to Bond as Adam West was to Batman. The correct order is Connery, Dalton, Craig, Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby. Brosnan is to Bond and Crowe is to Robin Hood.

Nope:

1) Brosnan
2) Moore
3) Connery
4) Craig
5) Lazenby
6) Dalton

Reaction Score
Nope:

1) Brosnan
2) Moore
3) Connery
4) Craig
5) Lazenby
6) Dalton

No way Jose.

Connery
Moore
Brosnan
Craig

Not worth discussing after that crew.

I think the top 4 were fantastic.

Connery was the quintessential Bond. Moore had some good runs with classics like Octopussy. Brosnan revitalized the franchise. Goldeneye was great for example.

Craig would have been even better off in an earlier era. Skyfall was basically Die Hard-England.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In terms of box office, Craig, Connery, Brosnan and Moore are way ahead of the other Bonds, but after adjusting for inflation, they are relatively close to each other, with Craig a bit in front because Skyfall was such a massive hit, but Craig's movies also had much bigger budgets.

Outside of Bond, Connery was clearly the biggest star, following by Brosnan, then Craig and finally Moore.

Moore's Bond was very different from the others. Octopussy was basically a comedy with some action scenes sprinkled in. Moore was a below average actor that hit a little bit of TV success in the 60's and was able to leverage that into the Bond role, where he ran up some pretty big box office numbers. But even while that was happening, Moore was still considered a B movie star. Connery was doing Shakespeare and chasing Oscars when he wasn't making Bond movies, while Roger Moore was appearing in TV specials and Cannonball Run. He made some truly terrible movies WHILE he was making Bond films.

I will never hold it against an actor for chasing a payday, and all of these actors did it, but no one signed up for as much obvious dreck as Moore did. Despite that, he was a really good Bond.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom