The newbies roster photos are up... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The newbies roster photos are up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Is it me, or is the pronunciation guide for Moriah wrong? I read that guide as her name being pronounced like the common pronunciation of Maria.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
-Sorry I don’t see a reference on-line, so if you don't mind, I’ll try my best going from (what’s left of my) memory.

- I believe this has been discussed on Coach Auriemma’s show: Apparently Coach asked Dianna Taurasi what number she would like at UConn. She replied she would like ‘1.’ He (colorfully) told her that was a terrible answer. He explained assigning a number like ‘1’ or ‘0’ would be tantamount to merely using the Connecticut uniform to call attention to an individual, while the actual, sole purpose of that uniform was to serve her team. For this very same reason, there are no names of players on UConn team jerseys.

So to many fans, it’s become yet another part of what makes Connecticut Basketball different – in yet another good way.
I recall an additional (perhaps apocryphal) detail about that story. After Geno nixed 0 and 1, he proposed #3 and sold it to her with the statement that he would help her become the Babe Ruth of WCBB. And they both pretty much delivered on that promise.

Reaction Score
Is it me, or is the pronunciation guide for Moriah wrong? I read that guide as her name being pronounced like the common pronunciation of Maria.
I don't think it's you. They must mean their "RIE" should sound like a long "I". I guess. Very confusing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
has #2 ever been used... I think Ashley wore it but no one else

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
since I normally changed the channel or went to run errands when she got in the game I didn't notice lol... seriously, i forgot about Tahirah even tho we play candy crush together just about every day

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Since Ashley, Tahirah Williams wore #2, 2006-09
Per last years Media Guide the only 2 to have worn it.

As an aside, no one's worn #10 since Sue Bird??? Seems a pretty common number to wear in basketball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will some1 who follows history closer then I do post a list of the players who previously wore the numbers the freshmen are going to wear. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom