The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee proposes a rules change for the 23-24 season on block/charge scenarios amongst others. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee proposes a rules change for the 23-24 season on block/charge scenarios amongst others.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've always hated charges and hate it as a defensive strategy for certain players/teams. I want guys to be allowed to play more defense but not through flopping around like fish. Get some more balance instead of the three point contests we currently have. Guards and wings have it way too easy now, bring back hand checking on the perimeter.
It's been interesting in the NBA this post-season. They are hand checking and staying tight on the perimeter, but they also aren't calling the push offs by the shooter. Maybe an overall let things go approach works? They are letting a ton of moving screens go too. The bizarre part is that what does get called is often less contact than what doesn't get called.

Reaction Score
From the article, "Currently, defenders must be in position to draw a charge before the offensive player goes airborne. "

How is this different?
What it should be is that once the offensive player has gathered the ball in preparation to go airborne, any contact is a foul. Basically, the defender needs to be set early enough for the offensive player to have an opportunity to make a move/play to avoid contact, and have not physically committed to something they can’t stop. If the offensive player fails to do so, then that is a charge.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Thank god. I can't be the only one who thinks what constitutes a "charge" these days has gotten out of control.

I agree, but then the other part of me is the new judgement criteria is just one more thing the refs will get wrong

Reaction Score
Won’t matter if it’s not reviewable anyway. The stripes get it wrong much more than they get it right so not sure the rule eill change their inability.

Reaction Score
My superpower is although I never track the media time outs I always know. The ball will be rolling oob and even before the whistle I'm standing up to get a beer. If anyone can help me figure out how to monetize it I'll bring them in for 15%.

Reaction Score
My superpower is although I never track the media time outs I always know. The ball will be rolling oob and even before the whistle I'm standing up to get a beer. If anyone can help me figure out how to monetize it I'll bring them in for 15%.
Either I’m real confused about what you’re saying, or you don’t grasp that basically everyone who watches college basketball regularly does this.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One rule they need to change is when a shot goes up while the shot clock goes off but doesn’t hit rim and the defending team cleanly rebounds it, they should be able to continue play. Stopping play makes no sense and ruins the flow of the game. Play the advantage

Reaction Score
The experimental time out rule is truly, truly horrible. That would be adding in a new TV timeout each half. Hardest pass ever

Reaction Score
Either I’m real confused about what you’re saying, or you don’t grasp that basically everyone who watches college basketball regularly does this.
This is exactly what was supposed to make it funny.

Made myself laugh so it was definitely a good joke

Reaction Score
The experimental time out rule is truly, truly horrible. That would be adding in a new TV timeout each half. Hardest pass ever
But that's not a new rule, so I doubt it's even noticeable. I can't imagine any conference who didn't already make the change would suddenly choose to do it now, and I didn't notice it in any game I watched last year

Reaction Score
But that's not a new rule, so I doubt it's even noticeable. I can't imagine any conference who didn't already make the change would suddenly choose to do it now, and I didn't notice it in any game I watched last year
I don't think any of our games used that rule. It would defintely be noticable if it was in place, and I assume it eventually will happen based upon $$.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of our games used that rule. It would defintely be noticable if it was in place, and I assume it eventually will happen based upon $$.
That's exactly my point, this rule was in place already last season and the Big East opted not to use it. So there's no reason to think they will this year

Reaction Score
That's exactly my point, this rule was in place already last season and the Big East opted not to use it. So there's no reason to think they will this year
$$ is the reason to think everyone will eventually use it, which will suck

Reaction Score
Currently it's just experimental but thats the point of experimental; to see if it is worth it. When they inevitably decide that the ad money makes it worth it, they'll make it an instituted rule change that will be seen across all leagues.
Think MiLB doing pitch clock before now; that was an "experimental" rule that was always designed to be placed in MLB eventually. Same thing with smaller conferences and NIT trying the additionally TV timeout.
It will kill the already stipled gameflow and make some of the mid-January DePaul/SH games even more unwatchable

Reaction Score
Currently it's just experimental but thats the point of experimental; to see if it is worth it. When they inevitably decide that the ad money makes it worth it, they'll make it an instituted rule change that will be seen across all leagues.
Think MiLB doing pitch clock before now; that was an "experimental" rule that was always designed to be placed in MLB eventually. Same thing with smaller conferences and NIT trying the additionally TV timeout.
It will kill the already stipled gameflow and make some of the mid-January DePaul/SH games even more unwatchable
And based on very few leagues wanting to adopt it, that's exactly how it will stay. It's also not an extra timeout per game, it's just a restructuring of the existing timeouts

Reaction Score
And based on very few leagues wanting to adopt it, that's exactly how it will stay. It's also not an extra timeout per game, it's just a restructuring of the existing timeouts
It's definitely an extra timeout, and it won't matter what the leagues want to do, the networks will make them do it.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently there is:
Under 16
U 12
U 8
U 4
per half.
The new one would be
U17
U14
U11
U8
U4
That is 1 extra TV timeout per half, 2 total, or at least 8 minutes of added commercials

Reaction Score
It's definitely an extra timeout, and it won't matter what the leagues want to do, the networks will make them do it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently there is:
Under 16
U 12
U 8
U 4
per half.
The new one would be
U17
U14
U11
U8
U4
That is 1 extra TV timeout per half, 2 total, or at least 8 minutes of added commercials
The current rule for the second half is Under 16, 12, 8, 4, and a floating media timeout that gets looped in whenever the 1st timeout is called by a coach. It's that floating timeout that's getting assigned to a specific minute threshold with this change. So TV networks aren't getting any additional commercial time with this, and games aren't going any longer as a result

Reaction Score
The current rule for the second half is Under 16, 12, 8, 4, and a floating media timeout that gets looped in whenever the 1st timeout is called by a coach. It's that floating timeout that's getting assigned to a specific minute threshold with this change. So TV networks aren't getting any additional commercial time with this, and games aren't going any longer as a result
Not sure how the games won't be longer when in the current system the 2nd half has 5 media length timeouts and up to 5 shorter timeouts, and the experimental rules have 5 media length timeouts and up to 6 shorter timeouts. Are they taking away timeouts from the coaches?

Reaction Score
Not sure how the games won't be longer when in the current system the 2nd half has 5 media length timeouts and up to 5 shorter timeouts, and the experimental rules have 5 media length timeouts and up to 6 shorter timeouts. Are they taking away timeouts from the coaches?
No, because the 5th media timeout is currently added on to one of the coaches' timeouts. So when they call a timeout during the 2nd half instead of being a 30 second timeout it's the full 2 minute (or however long the media timeouts are). This is straight out of the NCAA rule book, see bullet point 4 below

IMG_1583.jpeg

Reaction Score
No, because the 5th media timeout is currently added on to one of the coaches' timeouts. So when they call a timeout during the 2nd half instead of being a 30 second timeout it's the full 2 minute (or however long the media timeouts are). This is straight out of the NCAA rule book, see bullet point 4 below

View attachment 88882
Yes that's how it works now. In the "new" version there will be 5 scheduled media timeouts and each coach will still have up to 3 timeouts. So we're going from a possible 10 timeouts in the 2nd half now, to 11 timeouts in the future.

Reaction Score
Yes that's how it works now. In the "new" version there will be 5 scheduled media timeouts and each coach will still have up to 3 timeouts. So we're going from a possible 10 timeouts in the 2nd half now, to 11 timeouts in the future.
No, you're completely misunderstanding the change. It's the same number of timeouts, the only difference is now on the first timeout a coach calls in the 2nd half they're not going to add on that additional time for a media timeout

Reaction Score
No, you're completely misunderstanding the change. It's the same number of timeouts, the only difference is now on the first timeout a coach calls in the 2nd half they're not going to add on that additional time for a media timeout
So I'm just going to use an example where both coaches bring 3 timeouts into the 2nd half, and eliminate any injury and instant replay stoppage for simplicity.

Currently there are 4 scheduled media timeouts. The first coaches timeout will get changed to the lengh of a media timeout. So when a coach takes a timeout, that brings us to 5 media length timeouts, and reduces the amount of remaining coaches timeouts to 5. So in the current system there can be up to 10 timeouts.

In the experimental rules there are 5 set media timeouts that will not change. Each coach will also still have 3 timeouts. Coaches using these 6 timeouts have no impact on the 5 set media timeouts. So now there can be up to 11 timeouts.

Reaction Score
So I'm just going to use an example where both coaches bring 3 timeouts into the 2nd half, and eliminate any injury and instant replay stoppage for simplicity.

Currently there are 4 scheduled media timeouts. The first coaches timeout will get changed to the lengh of a media timeout. So when a coach takes a timeout, that brings us to 5 media length timeouts, and reduces the amount of remaining coaches timeouts to 5. So in the current system there can be up to 10 timeouts.

In the experimental rules there are 5 set media timeouts that will not change. Each coach will also still have 3 timeouts. Coaches using these 6 timeouts have no impact on the 5 set media timeouts. So now there can be up to 11 timeouts.
Yes I understand what you're saying, there is going to be an extra time out called. What I'm explaining to you is that under the current system that amount of time is already accounted for. The only difference is now there's going to be a short commercial break for that "extra" coach timeout and a slightly longer 5th media timeout commercial break, instead of one extra long commerical break where those 2 amounts of time are combined

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom