The NCAA and Waivers | The Boneyard

The NCAA and Waivers

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I guess the application started. 'My coach at MD was Brenda Frese and I enclose an example of a half time speech'. ;)

Has to be something. It can't be about being closer to home during a pandemic.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What other players are awaiting a decision on a waiver request?

Mabrey at ND
Austin at Ole Miss?
Chloe Bibby at Maryland?
Massengill at Kentucky?
Olivia Owens at Kentucky?
J Owens at Baylor?

Reaction Score

Mabrey at ND
Austin at Ole Miss?
Chloe Bibby at Maryland?
Massengill at Kentucky?
J Owens at Baylor?
Lauren Ebo at Texas.
If Destiny Pitts isn’t a grad transfer, I’m sure there’s a waiver in for her as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Mabrey at ND
Austin at Ole Miss?
Chloe Bibby at Maryland?
Massengill at Kentucky?
J Owens at Baylor?

forgot her name but went to Tennessee transferred to Texas a&m

Reaction Score
The NCAA Board of Directors‘ statement when they delayed the vote on the One Time Transfer rule change made it clear that every waiver was going to be granted this year [in anticipation of the rule change being adopted in January 2021].

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA Board of Directors‘ statement when they delayed the vote on the One Time Transfer rule change made it clear that every waiver was going to be granted this year [in anticipation of the rule change being adopted in January 2021].

Here is the statement. It's not clear at all unless being "sensitive to student-athlete well-being" is a new thing for the waiver committee.

"The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period."

Reaction Score
Here is the statement. It's not clear at all unless being "sensitive to student-athlete well-being" is a new thing for the waiver committee.

"The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period."

if I remember correctly, the Counsel Chair [Penn AD] made comments to news media that hinted very strongly that the outcome of the 2021 vote would be uniformity among all sports and that in the interim the NCAA personnel were being instructed to apply great leniency in granting waivers since the rule change was imminent and putting one last group in “time out” [my words] was not reasonable in light of the pending change.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not gonna sweat this. Oregon will not win a championship this year simply because Mikesell is eligible. Just hoping there’s a basketball season and then I’m perfectly happy to have Geno play the hand he’s been dealt. The 10 young ladies that make up this year’s Husky team have an enormous upside.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
if I remember correctly, the Counsel Chair [Penn AD] made comments to news media that hinted very strongly that the outcome of the 2021 vote would be uniformity among all sports and that in the interim the NCAA personnel were being instructed to apply great leniency in granting waivers since the rule change was imminent and putting one last group in “time out” [my words] was not reasonable in light of the pending change.

Please provide a link.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Here we go

As an Oregon fan, I have to say that this decision makes absolutely no sense to me. Last year, Sedona Prince had what was imo a real case to make and was told "no"; this time, as far as I can tell, there don't seem to be any "extenuating circumstances," yet the decision is the opposite. I'd love to hear the NCAA try to explain the difference--among countless other head-scratching examples. I suppose that the more guards one has the better, but I'm probably the only Oregon fan would would prefer that the deck remained a bit clearer so that the incoming freshmen (Pao Pao, Scherr) can have as much time on the court as possible without having to share time with M.

Reaction Score

Mabrey at ND
Austin at Ole Miss?
Chloe Bibby at Maryland?
Massengill at Kentucky?
J Owens at Baylor?
If Mikesell can get a waiver, Austin definitely deserves one. .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I just don’t see how he will be able to make a lot of these players happy with playing time this season.
With the truncated season coming up I don't see how anyone with any team will be happy with their PT this year.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA approves all waivers this year in preparation for next year’s new rule that’s fine but let’s see what they do because they’ve done some really weird things in the past. It’ll be interesting to watch their decisions. If decisions go sideways for other waivers it might be Time for the presidents to finally step in and bring a court case against the NCAA. Last year’s decisions were absolutely ridiculous.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA approves all waivers this year in preparation for next year’s new rule that’s fine but let’s see what they do because they’ve done some really weird things in the past. It’ll be interesting to watch their decisions. If decisions go sideways for other waivers it might be Time for the presidents to finally step in and bring a court case against the NCAA. Last year’s decisions were absolutely ridiculous.
Good luck with that. I mean the NCAA isn't some separate body that unilaterally makes decisions. The people making the decisions are part of the member institutions, so you're essentially saying they are going to sue themselves?

Reaction Score
I believe that they have stated that they would be very liberal in respect to transfers this year due to the impact the virus will most certainly have on the coming season.

Reaction Score
Is this blatant discrimination? I have other words to use but I am trying to maintain some civility here. I guess I have two words to say: Evina Westbrook.

Yes, do athletes get waivers unless they're transferring to UConn? Is this totally ridiculous? Absolutely ridiculous? Or a total joke?

Evina Westbrook. How in the world...?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Simple answer.....Mark Emmert, former Chancellor University of Connecticut, current President of the NCAA.
A man who knows how to work a grudge.
1596216106784.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom