The NCAA and Waivers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The NCAA and Waivers

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe that they have stated that they would be very liberal in respect to transfers this year due to the impact the virus will most certainly have on the coming season.
Really? When did they state this? Link?

Reaction Score
It was some time ago so I really can not give you a link. I do remember reading it. It was in context with a clearification on some other virus related issue. It would only make sense that they would lighten up somewhat on the standards they went by last season and the virus issue is a perfect excuse for doing so. The statement was basically geared to what they would not do in respect to granting blanket extensions for a shortened season, but the mitigated it with compensation in other areas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It was some time ago so I really can not give you a link. I do remember reading it. It was in context with a clearification on some other virus related issue. It would only make sense that they would lighten up somewhat on the standards they went by last season and the virus issue is a perfect excuse for doing so. The statement was basically geared to what they would not do in respect to granting blanket extensions for a shortened season, but the mitigated it with compensation in other areas.
I think a lot of people have rushed to assume that the NCAA will apply a weaker standard to waiver requests. While that may indeed be true, I don't believe any such official statement has been issued by anyone with the NCAA. If I somehow missed that news, I will stand corrected.

Reaction Score
Yes you missed it. No they did not say that they would lower standards for waivers. But while it was not directly stated, it was strongly implied that the present situation would influence requests for waivers and recent rulings seem to validate that compared to last season they have lightened their standards.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes you missed it. No they did not say that they would lower standards for waivers. But while it was not directly stated, it was strongly implied that the present situation would influence requests for waivers and recent rulings seem to validate that compared to last season they have lightened their standards.
All due respect Willtalk but when you said this last week in a post, I did a scour of the internet and could not find any evidence or wording hinting at a relaxed waiver. So while you may be correct until you can post absolute proof, don’t act as if anyone doubting you “missed something”. Find it and post OR just say politely “I believe xxx” and sound incredulous when we ask for proof.

Reaction Score
I will beat my drum again for no reason other than I can, I don't believe in transfer waivers except in very extreme circumstances. Mikesell getting clearance makes about as much sense to me as Danberry getting an extra year, which is none at all.

I suppose in this current time if a player wanted to transfer to be closer to family during Covid for health reasons that's understandable and should likely result in a waiver. What the NCAA is doing is more confusing and frustrating than ever.

My posts have consistently stated I don't believe the rules should be changed to allow for a one time transfer even though that's where the NCAA appeared to be headed. To me to it opens Pandora's box even more and for reasons that aren't very clear other than schools wanting athletes to be immediately eligible.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So they didn't say it but they implied it? And who is "they"? Was it Emmert? Or some intern? Again, a link or some other concrete evidence would be helpful.

Reaction Score
All due respect Willtalk but when you said this last week in a post, I did a scour of the internet and could not find any evidence or wording hinting at a relaxed waiver. So while you may be correct until you can post absolute proof, don’t act as if anyone doubting you “missed something”. Find it and post OR just say politely “I believe xxx” and sound incredulous when we ask for proof.
I had not intention of sounding incredulous. All I did was relay what I had read. It's no big deal to me if people believe it or not. I can also understand why someone might want to read it for themselves, because people often miss read statements. All I can say is that I did read what I read, the source and individual who stated that I am not aware of. If I could give link I would, but it was some time ago. I must admit I am not very scrupulous in paying much attention to the sources I read. It just didn't seem that important to me at the time. I know that you, for one, are scrupulous in that respect and I most certainly respect your standards.

I could see how you might not find any mention on line about relaxed waiver policy, because as I said it was implied not stated directly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Might be this.
Transfer Waiver Process. The DI Board of Directors agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the DI Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the Transfer Waiver Working Group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.**4.30.20**
My interpretation of this is if you stamp or write the words COVID-19 on your waiver application it is likely to get approved. In all seriousness if you aren't intelligent enough to write of a COVID impact (Real or imaginary ) you probably shouldn't be in college. I also think the immediate eligibility for first time transfers will also be voted on and become a reality for fall of 21 now that the NCAA president has told congress he in favor of it.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Might be this.
Transfer Waiver Process. The DI Board of Directors agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the DI Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the Transfer Waiver Working Group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.**4.30.20**
My interpretation of this is if you stamp or write the words COVID-19 on your waiver application it is likely to get approved. In all seriousness if you aren't intelligent enough to write of a COVID impact (Real or imaginary ) you probably should be in college. I also think the immediate eligibility for first time transfers will also be voted on and become a reality for fall of 21 now that the NCAA president has told congress he in favor of it.
Good find. Thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom