The NCAA’s Transfer Revolution is Here (SI’s Dellenger). | The Boneyard

The NCAA’s Transfer Revolution is Here (SI’s Dellenger).

Reaction Score
The unintended consequences will be interesting to watch develop...

(Much easier to read if you use the “reader view” feature once you open the article)

Reaction Score
I can’t decide whether this helps or hurts UCONN. On the one hand lower recruited players that emerge might want to play at a P5 school and not having to sit out is enticing. Conversely some 3 or 4 stars that are blocked on depth chart at P5 programs might find UCONN is a good destination for playing time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
“The coaches that embrace all these changes are the ones that will adapt,” says Washington State athletic director Pat Chun. “The ones that can’t adapt to the sea of change are the ones that are going to struggle.”
This line is what concerns me the most with having Edsall during this change in the landscape. He is the captain of the boat charting a course for consistency within the evolving landscape with this new transfer policy.

Reaction Score
I can’t decide whether this helps or hurts UCONN. On the one hand lower recruited players that emerge might want to play at a P5 school and not having to sit out is enticing. Conversely some 3 or 4 stars that are blocked on depth chart at P5 programs might find UCONN is a good destination for playing time.
I think this will help UConn more than hurt. A lot of athlete's for one reason or another transfer from major P5 programs to G5 schools. UConn may lose a playmaker once in a while, but I think this will allow Edsall to bring in transfers he feels can contribute and add depth.

Reaction Score
I think this will help UConn more than hurt. A lot of athlete's for one reason or another transfer from major P5 programs to G5 schools. UConn may lose a playmaker once in a while, but I think this will allow Edsall to bring in transfers he feels can contribute and add depth.
Hopefully he does this.... We need impact kids... One position that I wouldn't mind seeing this happen at, but it won't (ever, it seems with us), because it's the most important position on the field, is QB... Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder even know this, but it always seems to not be high on our priority list...

Just a realistic observation from my end... We need a straight dawg at that position. Haven't seen it in quite awhile.. and lately, if we've had a guy that could quite possibly do some good things for us (Pindell comes to mind) his supporting cast wasn't ready... we were rebuilding EVERYWHERE... Hope our QBs are ready to play this coming Fall... That will determine how far we go...

Reaction Score
Hopefully he does this.... We need impact kids... One position that I wouldn't mind seeing this happen at, but it won't (ever, it seems with us), because it's the most important position on the field, is QB... Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder even know this, but it always seems to not be high on our priority list...

Just a realistic observation from my end... We need a straight dawg at that position. Haven't seen it in quite awhile.. and lately, if we've had a guy that could quite possibly do some good things for us (Pindell comes to mind) his supporting cast wasn't ready... we were rebuilding EVERYWHERE... Hope our QBs are ready to play this coming Fall... That will determine how far we go...
I think it's a great way to build depth on both lines. Which should help keep the defense fresh and the offense moving.

Reaction Score
I think it's a great way to build depth on both lines. Which should help keep the defense fresh and the offense moving.
Actually, you're spot on bro... Battles are won up front... having a guy with P5 level experience to plug into the rotation up front would be a huge asset to have... or a guy that's played a lot and just decides to move on from his current digs... we need that...

Reaction Score

->The Council expanded the one-time transfer exception to all sports, which means student-athletes who play baseball, football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s ice hockey have the same chance as all other student-athletes to transfer and play right away. If ratified by the board, the change is effective for student-athletes who have not transferred before and want to compete at a new school as early as this fall. <-

-> Members also adopted deadlines for student-athletes to provide written notification of transfer if they want to compete immediately. The deadlines will be May 1 for fall and winter sport student-athletes and July 1 for spring sport student-athletes, but the Council also granted a blanket waiver for this year only that sets the date for all student-athletes as July 1. Members noted the May 1 deadline was just a month away, and the waiver would provide students additional time they might need to decide.

The dates were selected based on a desire to balance providing flexibility for student-athletes to make informed transfer decisions with protecting the interests of students who don’t transfer but will be impacted by those who do.

Some exceptions to the deadlines would apply in cases of a head coaching change or canceled athletics scholarship before July 1.

Transferring college athletes also must meet progress-toward-degree requirements and be otherwise academically eligible to compete immediately after transfer, and both the head coach at the new school and the student-athlete must certify that no tampering took place. Schools cannot object to schools to which a student-athlete wants to transfer. The waiver process will continue to be available for students who do not meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception or who wish to transfer more than once. <-

NCAA Division I One-Time Transfer FAQs

Reaction Score

Edsall 2.0 has already recruited three transfer QB's Pindell (junior college transfer) Beudry, and Leon. One was a hit, one was a miss and one is currently competing for the job. Edsall also re-recruited Shireffs who had one foot out the door after Diaco mishandled him. I'm not sure how you conclude QB isn't a high priority. I think we currently have a talented quartet of QB's, just very inexperienced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall 2.0 has already recruited three transfer QB's Pindell (junior college transfer) Beudry, and Leon. One was a hit, one was a miss and one is currently competing for the job. Edsall also re-recruited Shireffs who had one foot out the door after Diaco mishandled him. I'm not sure how you conclude QB isn't a high priority. I think we currently have a talented quartet of QB's, just very inexperienced.
I agree the kids are talented (the ones we have)... just pointing to the obvious... and we never do this anyways (we strike out when we try)... We never get a highly ranked QB that can really shake things up at that position... It'd be nice to see that happen.. You bring one of those (4 or 5 star types) guys , who's stuck behind another guy at a P5 school (and he's actually really good, obviously good/impactful).. then you don't have to wait til week 1 (game day) to determine who the starter is... just sayin...

With that said, I'm all in on who we've already got... Just hoping they're ready to finally lead us to the next level....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think this is correct.

If UConn gets a high end player who dominates in his first year or two, good chance they now get bigger offers and can leave.

UConn as an independent which still plays a good D1 schedule with interesting opponents is a great place for a top talent buried on the depth chart to strut their stuff. Depth.

Reaction Score
I think this is correct.

If UConn gets a high end player who dominates in his first year or two, good chance they now get bigger offers and can leave.

UConn as an independent which still plays a good D1 schedule with interesting opponents is a great place for a top talent buried on the depth chart to strut their stuff. Depth.
exactly

Reaction Score

This helps the established winning programs.

Reaction Score
This helps the established winning programs.

it absolutely does. And I think any hidden gem at a non P5 program that has a good year will transfer to a bigger program. The rich will certainly get richer.

My point with the benefits to UCONN are this: we aren’t P5, we aren’t even G5. We will lose some players to P5. But I think for a program in as worse shape as UCONN - we can get some players squeezed out of playing time at P5 and G5 schools that would be solid starters on our team.

But make no mistake - this just makes the power programs that much stronger.

Reaction Score
it absolutely does. And I think any hidden gem at a non P5 program that has a good year will transfer to a bigger program. The rich will certainly get richer.

My point with the benefits to UCONN are this: we aren’t P5, we aren’t even G5. We will lose some players to P5. But I think for a program in as worse shape as UCONN - we can get some players squeezed out of playing time at P5 and G5 schools that would be solid starters on our team.

But make no mistake - this just makes the power programs that much stronger.
I pray we do this... because there wasn't chance in heck we'd do this during Edsall 1.0... Times are different now...

Reaction Score
I pray we do this... because there wasn't chance in heck we'd do this during Edsall 1.0... Times are different now...
Got Zack Frazer from ND who led UConn in the Fiesta Bowl. Actually thought Cody Endress showed better for a while but then had his problems. Lorenzen did ok also but believe he was a junior college guy.

Reaction Score
Got Zack Frazer from ND who led UConn in the Fiesta Bowl. Actually thought Cody Endress showed better for a while but then had his problems. Lorenzen did ok also but believe he was a junior college guy.
Maybe we're on the trajectory as the 1st time around. Lorenzen then Frazer....about a 5yr rebuild prior to bringing in this types of guys.

Only difference now is we started out with more to work with (facilities)

Reaction Score
It may not be an affect for football now but this affects all sports. If Hurley gets an offer at NC he can now take his whole team with him. This can affect ALL our sports drastically,

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
It may not be an affect for football now but this affects all sports. If Hurley gets an offer at NC he can now take his whole team with him. This can affect ALL our sports drastically,
I agree with this. Football won't be impacted nearly as much as basketball will be. Learning a new system in football takes a lot longer than in basketball. Plus, there is no "one and done" in football so if you are transferring to a P5, you better hope you slide in and play right away. Don't know why you'd transfer just to be depth for a year. To me that feels like a waste of your time to show off what you have. If you look at all of the players in the NFL, many get drafted in the first couple of rounds from big schools, yet many flame out. There are many players drafted in later rounds from lesser known schools who are just as successful as the big name school players. So I don't see why you'd transfer from a G5, where you were a standout player, to a P5 where you'd be a back up to a senior or player who you will replace the following season.

I think we won't see as big of an impact for football in terms of the big boys getting richer like we will in all of CBB. I do think we will see the reverse happen more often, and the G5 schools will become a little more loaded with P5 players who don't want to waste their careers as depth.

I am still hesitant UConn will benefit from this until they start winning. I don't see players transferring to consistent losing teams. You don't get the attention on a team going 2-10 or 3-9 every season.

Reaction Score
Very good guys off the bench in basketball may look to start if the roster has the returning starters back....

And, what happens when programs start approaching the athletes on your roster...is that still poaching?

Reaction Score
Strange going ons.....like maybe more of Demarkcus Bowman...a five star RB....enrolled at Clemson August 2020, enters Portal Oct 1, 2020, transfers to Florida October 3, 2020....

Had to be some contact from Florida while he was on the Clemson roster.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Strange going ons.....like maybe more of Demarkcus Bowman...a five star RB....enrolled at Clemson August 2020, enters Portal Oct 1, 2020, transfers to Florida October 3, 2020....

Had to be some contact from Florida while he was on the Clemson roster.
I believe this was in the article Medic linked. It will be interesting to see if coaches start scouting current NCAA players more than HS players. It seems like this rule will make it more beneficial for the P5 schools to look at 4-5 star recruits and then G5/FCS stand outs and then HS players that aren't higher recruits.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the football HS recruiting system. Basketball will have different impacts as well.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom