The NCAA’s shell game is the real women’s basketball scandal | The Boneyard

The NCAA’s shell game is the real women’s basketball scandal

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A very good (but very aggravating) read.
My respect for Sally Jennings went up a notch. I already knew her as an excellent writer, though she always struck my casually distant perception as a bit too much on the wrong side of history in the Pat-Geno wars.

But this op piece is exquisite. She pulls no punches and her phrase turns are surgical.

Reaction Score
Insightful, revealing, frustrating, but, we know, part of the overall pattern in USA women's sports. Witness the USNT (soccer) fight with the entity that controls the $$$ in their sport. "Oh, the women's games dont generate a profit" "oh, our books are not public," "oh, the financials are really complicated"----and on and on and on ad nauseum.
Systemic sexism.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, is it wrong if I happen to walking by Mark Emmert and just punch him squarely in the face and call him an unprintable name while he picks up his teeth like chicklets from the ground? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, is it wrong it I happen to walking by Mark Emmert and just punch him squarely in the face and call him an unprintable name while he picks up his teeth like chicklets from the ground? :rolleyes:
Yes, you are.
But you also have to get in the line of people waiting for that chance. By the time it is your turn, he may be in a wheel chair and you might be using a walker and trying to remember your own name.

Reaction Score
So Emmert has "...vowed to get to the bottom of the NCAA's 'blunders' on the basketball tournaments...". Yup, he has now hired a New York law firm to do an "independent" gender equity review of all the NCAA's championships in all 3 divisions and all sports. This should be good...

BTW the article starts out, "After facing criticism for recently publicized...". This "After..." phrase could be applied to anything Mark Emmert ever did (or Roger Goodell, for that matter)

Reaction Score
What's even more disconcerting is that our University posted nothing about it on their website (unless I missed a tiny 'snippet'). And still no word from our AD, Dave! Always worried about speaking about the obvious, so that we can appear 'neutral' and "politically correct"! Shame on UCONN!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Because the womens sports split $500,000,000 between them, not $35MM

Reaction Score
Mark Emmert was a UConn employee at one time. He left under unfriendly terms if I recall correctly. He was despised by many including Calhoun and Auriemma who refused to shake hand with him when presenting the NC trophy. It's not only that Emmert who cooks the books but the NCAA representatives who put him there. To say that the women BB program does not generate any revenue is almost insane and beyond belief. But apparently the NCAA believe it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Mark Emmert was a UConn employee at one time. He left under unfriendly terms if I recall correctly. He was despised by many including Calhoun and Auriemma who refused to shake hand with him when presenting the NC trophy. It's not only that Emmert who cooks the books but the NCAA representatives who put him there. To say that the women BB program does not generate any revenue is almost insane and beyond belief. But apparently the NCAA believe it. wants the rest of the world to believe it!
There, I fixed it for you... :rolleyes:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What's even more disconcerting is that our University posted nothing about it on their website (unless I missed a tiny 'snippet'). And still no word from our AD, Dave! Always worried about speaking about the obvious, so that we can appear 'neutral' and "politically correct"! Shame on UCONN!
The college/ university presidents are the NCAA. They are the rules makers.

Emmert is a puppet.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am unable to read the article without subscribing to the paper.
I got a one year subscription for $29. The Post has to pay the writers and they aren’t selling many papers any more. The online stuff needs to cost something in order to continue with quality coverage.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Sure, let's look at the financials. What? The NCAA won't make them available?
So, in the total absence of a detailed Income Statement, an independent WCBB Balance Sheet, or anything beyond a single—not necessarily only—revenue line, and no cost itemization whatsoever, we should assume a loss-making operation?
That, dear friends, is not the way GAAP works. As our accounting colleague noted above, "complicated" often equates to "bogus".

Are the women's events hit with overhead charges that help pay for men's wrestling and rowing?

There is every reason to believe that men's March Madness generates lots more revenue than the Women's tournament. There is no reason to believe, and no data to support the assumption, that WCBB is a loss-maker.

While we are discussing all these arcane financial details, let's also note that the NCAA charter and mission statement make no reference whatsoever to it being a business or profit seeking entity.

Reaction Score
This story sounds good and may be right, but there needs to be more information. Example: AT&T other prominent Companies advertise during women's games. How much do they pay per minute? How much per minute in men's games? Nadal-Federer Wimbledon Final? Makes a big difference. Every woman playing professional tennis can thank the William's sisters for their equal share of prize money: people wanted to see them play, giving them leverage against those controlling the purse strings. Right now college basketball's marquee attraction is Uconn when they play a team that can compete with them, which is far an few between. Add an occasional matchup in a big game involving teams with somewhat of a National following, such as Notre Dame. Or the star player that has attracted National headlines, such as Ionescu last year.

I was surprised when I saw the Uconn women do not make money. If they can not make money, how can other teams?

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Great opinion piece by a great sports-columnist:
"The NCAA’s shell game is the real women’s basketball scandal," by Sally Jenkins, as published in The Washington Post on March 25, 2021 at https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/25/ncaa-women-basketball-tournament-revenue/
Way back when (1965) when I started coaching basketball, it was at an all-male private secondary school. Because we took post-grad high-schoolers, we had some pretty decent teams. But then I moved on to a private school in New Haven, CT. that had been strictly boys for 315 years, but had very recently merged with a olde "girls school," and supporting a girls' program of sports teams took a bit of time and a large adjustment of attitudes to give them some respect (and good/experienced coaches). I was asked, somewhat apologetically, if it would 'OK" for me to coach the girls' basketball team, as if that was a step down. I decided that I would coach the girls exactly as I had the boys: it's still basketball, right?

First of all, some parents were concerned that I was holding my players to the same demanding standards as their male counterparts. For some parents, that offended their sense of their daughters' femininity and fragility. I recall a father whose son played in a football game in the rain with no objections, but wanted the school to cancel his daughter's field hockey game that same afternoon.

Early on, I insisted that at least my "girls" would also work as hard as the boys, and would share the same (somewhat inadequate) facilities equally: I.e., alternate early and late practices of the same length. Same transportation to games; same level of support in equipment and uniforms.

Ultimately, the school's administration (which I later joined as athletic director) acted with enough wisdom to ensure the educational benefits of athletics HAD to be sex-blind and equivalent. For them, the concept of the scholar-athlete was more than a mere advertising slogan. We took it seriously. Alas, the big universities and the NCAA are in love with the $$$$.

P.S. I wonder at the huge salaries of university coaches, even Geno's. But at least he appears to understand that he has to offer his players more than X's and O's, that what they "learn" both on and off the court also makes them better citizens of the world. For that, I admire him and his "coaching."

Reaction Score
let's look at the financials...GAAP
The financials would be interesting. The breakout of Revenues and Expenses would require a great deal of detail. GAAP Fund Accounting is in order I believe, which has specific rules. What I suspect is at the end of the day, most college sports are loss leaders, carried by College football and to a lesser degree a few other sports, such as men's basketball. The head of the NCAA makes $2.7M and Geno makes $2.3M, I believe. No reason for the writer to complain about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom