the Nantambu Willingham v Steve Enoch equivalency ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

the Nantambu Willingham v Steve Enoch equivalency ...

Reaction Score
There is no comp between Enoch and Boo in any way, shape, or form... Even the "improvement" trajectory idea is utterly ridiculous. Boo averaged 6mpg and had quite a few DNPs because he just was not a good basketball player. If he touched the ball, every UConn affiliated person in the building and universe, Boo included, was looking for him to get rid of said ball as quickly as possible. Enoch is talented. He has a low-post game that is as good as anyone we have had; at least in terms of footwork and variation. He just is not overly efficient yet. The guy has the potential to be a 12-14 and 8 guy. The stats obviously say otherwise, but I don't remember Boo scoring 12 points in his entire career.

I'm not trying to knock Boo. He was a great teammate and obviously was a good guy. But he was not a good basketball player.

Reaction Score
this is lame. i won't believe it until i see it. dumb thread.

where's your thread .... you ___

Actually: I think we established a very clear separation here. Some of the posters have little historical perspective of what has worked at UConn; what Calhoun did well in development; where we have placed a slew of scholarships on Bigs; and where Steve Enoch sits in development.

Mostly?

This is on Steve Enoch. I believe (and apparently others) that he has a huge future; but he simply has to work his butt off to get there. While using comparables is nice, you simply cannot label him with the path that Brimah took or even a Voskuhl/Wane for 2 decades ago. If you are down on this kid or just frustrated with a really tough watch of a season: I understand.

We could have used a jack-of-all-trades interior guy - like a Freeman/Adrien. Maybe that is Diarra.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern with Enoch is that the speed of the game still bothers him on both ends. You'd like to see guys be comfortable with that by the time they reach the end of their sophomore season, especially since we aren't exactly facing vintage Big East competition throughout the season anymore. He still rushes when he's got the ball inside and gets lost far too often on defense. Defensive assignments aren't rocket science in basketball, you shouldn't be losing your man or missing a rotation that often. Unfortunately, it never clicks for some guys for whatever reason. In his case, I believe it's the speed of the action on the court.

You can never predict kids' development though, hopefully he makes a big stride this summer and he's a force for us the next two seasons. We're going to be a little thin up front next year after losing Facey & Brimah. I don't think Carlton or Polley will be ready to contribute so Enoch is going to have a shot at a ton of playing time. Who knows what we'll get from Cobb but I'm not expecting much.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Enoch clearly took most of Durham's playing time late in the season. I think that happened because he is starting to get it. "It" being his job on the team. He can score. He can score the ball more effectively than any big we've had in some time really. Next year he's the man, and I fully expect that he will rise to the occasion and play (a) tougher (b) smarter and (c) with more confidence. Steve Enoch reminds me of one of those guys you see and you ask yourself why he isn't dominating the game, as he just sort of blends in. He needs a mean streak and some confidence in his game. I think we'll see it.
I sure he has a sitdown with KO to analyze all of his weaknesses and dedicate himself from now until next fall
to correcting them. It would be a real tragedy to waste the physical talents he has. Otherwise others will be eating his minutes including Cobb.

Reaction Score
I sure he has a sitdown with KO to analyze all of his weaknesses and dedicate himself from now until next fall
to correcting them. It would be a real tragedy to waste the physical talents he has. Otherwise others will be eating his minutes including Cobb.

It strikes me ...

You look Enoch in the eye and say: this Cobb is coming in to fight you every day every practice. Diarra is going to be grabbing every rebound. You either get a whole lot better fighting on defense for stops and for the ball on rebounds ... or you sit. And, any dreams YOU or your family have about getting to a far higher platform of playing Hoop is swirling down a toilet.

Reaction Score
It strikes me ...

You look Enoch in the eye and say: this Cobb is coming in to fight you every day every practice. Diarra is going to be grabbing every rebound. You either get a whole lot better fighting on defense for stops and for the ball on rebounds ... or you sit. And, any dreams YOU or your family have about getting to a far higher platform of playing Hoop is swirling down a toilet.
Do you remember who could deliver those lines with profanity, put the fear of God in you, and have the player ready to eat raw meat? Does KO operate that way?

Reaction Score
Do you remember who could deliver those lines with profanity, put the fear of God in you, and have the player ready to eat raw meat? Does KO operate that way?

I guarantee you that the Jim Calhoun of 1974 did not feel all that comfortable yelling at a kid like Enoch (a seemingly great respectful kid) ... and even the Jim Calhoun WE remember was 45 when he showed up in 06268 and in his 15th year as a HC. Ollie needs to find his own way ... and he has a bunch of great attributes. But, yeah, that has to be part of being OUR coach.

Reaction Score
There were plenty of bigs who didn't develop under Calhoun. Curtis Kelly ring a bell?

Also: Nobody knows for sure that "motivation" is the real issue with Enoch. To me, he seems like a pretty motivated kid – he doesn't loaf out there, doesn't pout, supposedly gets good grades, has clearly worked A TON on his body, and you can see in spurts that he really gets it on the offensive end in a way he just didn't as a freshman.

I maintain that the issue is a lack of game reps, and simple time spent playing basketball. Hopefully he can do this summer in LA playing every day in the Drew League or something, getting yelled at by pros, because he needs as much time on the court as possible, and then he needs time in the lab (the film room) with experts telling him, step by step, the rotations on defense that he's hitting, and the ones he's missing.

IDGAF about playing 1v1 against Andre or hitting the weight room. He needs to hit the court.

Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous. Boo Willingham scored 110 points in his entire UConn career. Stephen Enoch has scored about that many points this season alone. Enoch still has a legit shot at the NBA if he works hard enough. To compare the two is absurd.

Reaction Score
This thread is ridiculous. Boo Willingham scored 110 points in his entire UConn career. Stephen Enoch has scored about that many points this season alone. Enoch still has a legit shot at the NBA if he works hard enough. To compare the two is absurd.

Why?

This is me calling out some of the idiocy of the Big Man discussion. We just found out that a slice of you never were around for Willingham; nor saw much of Marc Suhr or Souleymane Wane; nor had that great a feel for how good Calhoun-Dickenman were ... as Coaches of Bigs.

The Net of this thread is that the topic is all over the map. Enoch CAN be a huge success. As much as you think it is "lack of Big Man coaching", I think this is largely on that Kid. He just faced Brimah, Facey etc in practice every day ... and Shonn Miller and Nolan last year. Every darn day. He is getting better (in relatively bite sized increments).

I am convinced most of you aren't recognizing what he is doing well ... and why he is still a prize potential.

Reaction Score
where's your thread .... you ___

Actually: I think we established a very clear separation here. Some of the posters have little historical perspective of what has worked at UConn; what Calhoun did well in development; where we have placed a slew of scholarships on Bigs; and where Steve Enoch sits in development.

Mostly?

This is on Steve Enoch. I believe (and apparently others) that he has a huge future; but he simply has to work his butt off to get there. While using comparables is nice, you simply cannot label him with the path that Brimah took or even a Voskuhl/Wane for 2 decades ago. If you are down on this kid or just frustrated with a really tough watch of a season: I understand.

We could have used a jack-of-all-trades interior guy - like a Freeman/Adrien. Maybe that is Diarra.

And great, lets keep comparing a college athlete to a child with Aspergers. People are simply nutty humans on here.

Reaction Score
And great, lets keep comparing a college athlete to a child with Aspergers. People are simply nutty humans on here.

... and YOUR contribution is what? Exactly what? Belligerent?

I am tired of the noise of a bunch of typists moaning and whining about the lack of "development" of 18-22 year olds. The UConn history has many data points. Each one of the Bigs came with a set of attributes; and we shall see with this Cobb kid. Enoch has not played to a UConn BE level and is easily scorned. But ... I thought there are plenty of good comments through this thread: He does care; he is a good teammate; he runs and hustles; and he has more athleticism and better hands than 80% of the Big guys that have come through in the last 30 years. He has to play. And, the next 8 months are crucial for him ... and our Program.

Reaction Score
... and YOUR contribution is what? Exactly what? Belligerent?

I am tired of the noise of a bunch of typists moaning and whining about the lack of "development" of 18-22 year olds. The UConn history has many data points. Each one of the Bigs came with a set of attributes; and we shall see with this Cobb kid. Enoch has not played to a UConn BE level and is easily scorned. But ... I thought there are plenty of good comments through this thread: He does care; he is a good teammate; he runs and hustles; and he has more athleticism and better hands than 80% of the Big guys that have come through in the last 30 years. He has to play. And, the next 8 months are crucial for him ... and our Program.

Keep comparing a college kid (one of ours to be exact) to a child with aspergers. Were YOU belligerent when that came off of your small tiny fingers? I think thag contribution was enough. A***ole

Reaction Score
Keep comparing a college kid (one of ours to be exact) to a child with aspergers. Were YOU belligerent when that came off of your small tiny fingers? I think thag contribution was enough. A***ole

And you keep contributing these inspiring, well thought out replies:

"this is lame. i won't believe it until i see it. dumb thread."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone notice Enoch is 21-24 from the line since the G'town game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom