The Name ‘El-Amin’ Won’t Fade Away Anytime Soon | The Boneyard

The Name ‘El-Amin’ Won’t Fade Away Anytime Soon

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So … how about UConn?

"I had reached out," Khalid said. "But let's not kid ourselves, UConn is a premier program and they want the best of the best. I think they felt he had some more growing to do with his game. I think, now, UConn could use a guy like that, a big guard who can shoot the ball from outside who is not afraid of the big moment. But, you know, it's all good. Everything works out for a reason. Both my son and Connecticut are going to be successful."

Classy comment Khalid.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Khalid is the best!
In some ways, he was our best. What a quantum leap UConn took when he arrived.

As great as Rip was, I'm not sure who was MVP on the '99 NC team. KEA would be right there with him and push comes to shove, I would vote for KEA by a hair. His huge balls infused the rest with confidence and they never seemed to lose faith in themselves as a team. I watched the '99 season on HuskyGames and came away with new appreciation for how great all of the starters were and how relaxed backups could play so well. The more I watch those games, the more the greatness of the other 3 starters stands out. Voskuhl was a hell of a defender, best screen setter ever by a mile, and played great help defense as well. KF was amazingly versatile and tough as nails. Of the 3, I would vote Ricky Moore the highest for the way he stepped up at multiple critical points to steady the ship or take over when he was needed (not just the NC game). I think that they were the greatest "team" at UConn.

pj

Reaction Score

As great as Rip was, I'm not sure who was MVP on the '99 NC team. KEA would be right there with him and push comes to shove, I would vote for KEA by a hair. His huge balls infused the rest with confidence and they never seemed to lose faith in themselves as a team. I watched the '99 season on HuskyGames and came away with new appreciation for how great all of the starters were and how relaxed backups could play so well. The more I watch those games, the more the greatness of the other 3 starters stands out. Voskuhl was a hell of a defender, best screen setter ever by a mile, and played great help defense as well. KF was amazingly versatile and tough as nails. Of the 3, I would vote Ricky Moore the highest for the way he stepped up at multiple critical points to steady the ship or take over when he was needed (not just the NC game). I think that they were the greatest "team" at UConn.

That was my favorite team all time. The Dream team was spectacular in a way, with their nose for steals; the Kemba and Shabazz championships were almost miraculous, cases of teams with less talent out-willing and out-defending everybody else in college basketball; but the 1999 team combined a tremendous will to win with a very high caliber of play. They had to beat one of the most talented teams ever in college basketball to win the championship. I felt the talent level was a little lower in 2011 and 2014. 2004, that was just a super talented team.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with Dogbreath. KEA was never afraid to take a shot and wanted the ball. He wasn't intimidated by JC and this created a team of fearless players. However, RM was the key to that team. About 10 minutes into the national championship game my brother called, he's a big Duke fan...I love him anyway, and asked "who's this Ricky Moore?" He was a force to be reckoned with. Always a favorite of mine. And it was the best game ever!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with Dogbreath. KEA was never afraid to take a shot and wanted the ball. He wasn't intimidated by JC and this created a team of fearless players. However, RM was the key to that team. About 10 minutes into the national championship game my brother called, he's a big Duke fan...I love him anyway, and asked "who's this Ricky Moore?" He was a force to be reckoned with. Always a favorite of mine. And it was the best game ever!!
I found the Boneyard in November of 1998. Ricky was routinely called "Rickety".

Reaction Score
That was my favorite team all time. The Dream team was spectacular in a way, with their nose for steals; the Kemba and Shabazz championships were almost miraculous, cases of teams with less talent out-willing and out-defending everybody else in college basketball; but the 1999 team combined a tremendous will to win with a very high caliber of play. They had to beat one of the most talented teams ever in college basketball to win the championship. I felt the talent level was a little lower in 2011 and 2014. 2004, that was just a super talented team.

Part of what made that team my favorite was watching them grow. From the brutal 1997 regular season, to signs of life in the NIT, to the great 1998 regular season, to the educational process of the 1998 tournament (holding on for dear life against Elijah Allen, the thriller with Washington, being close but not quite there against UNC in North Carolina), to the brilliant 1999 regular season, to getting over the hump against Gonzaga, to the title. I had no real idea what would happen against Duke, but I felt confident. I knew these guys.

Have to disagree with the suggestion that anyone other than Rip was the MVP though. Both in college and the NBA, he has always been underrated. An alpha scorer who gets his within the flow of the offense is a rare thing, and people don't fully appreciate how much that helps a team.

Reactions: pj

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I found the Boneyard in November of 1998. Ricky was routinely called "Rickety".

Shabazz was trashed his sophomore year on here. Taliek was killed relentlessly, even after winning. Boneyard doing Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Taliek will always be one of my favs. He was a tank, loved his enthusiasm.

Best of luck to KEA's son. A shame he won't be a legacy here, but he has his own destiny to write.

Reaction Score

Loved watching him give it to the Pitt fans whenever we played in their gym.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
His getting injured late in his junior year was devastating. He was one of the best players in the country and good enough the take that team deep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom