The most improved UConn player this year was....KML? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The most improved UConn player this year was....KML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Across the board the team was so improved that it's hard to argue with any of these posts...KML clearly intent on honing what may become the best all-round game in WCBB...Stef dropping weight and building stamina to play the long minutes the team needed from her, and developing the deep shot to pull Brittany away from the basket in the Final Shootout that never occurred...Brianna Banks blooming as a disruptive force on defense and a reliable shooter and penetrator...and Kelly Faris developing her shooting to the point where junk defenses (read Louisville) were worthless against us...

Hard to leave Bria Hartley out of this saga...she worked so hard during the Summer and at the 3X3 World Championships that she pulled up lame and had to work all year to get her legs back under her, in a mirror image of Stef's preparation that transformed her game but left her hobbling just as Bria started to regain her unparalleled mojo...the Juniors were fierce warriors and we get them back for one more year...

And the three Freshman...the victims of unsparing hype and media focus...yet in crunch time they outplayed talented upper classmen and were critical in a Final Four that turned into a Big East Farewell and a Husky romp...

Next year I'm guessing we're in for big improvements from Brianna (coming back from surgery), Moriah (with the keys to the Ferrari), Morgan (healthy and ready to unveil an all round game to rival Kaleena's), Kiah (making her move in her final understudy season to Stef) and let's not forget small town girl, Saniya (can't wait!)...

The rest of the team should hold down four of the top ten All-American spots...I can't see how, barring something untoward, Stef, Kaleena, Breanna and Bria don't land on someone's AA roster...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kelly obviously was the MIP of the conference, so she had to be MIP of the team. No? I do disagree with that notion that Kelly was the MIP, and I feel she won that because it was based solely on her improvement with her shooting percentages - which was an excellent improvement. While Kelly did have more steals and points than any previous season, she had less rebounds than she did her sophomore year, less assists than her junior year and she shot fewer free throws than both her sophomore and junior seasons. Maybe it was a vote on the leadership she openly displayed this season. I feel that Kelly's greatest contribution this year came by taking in KML and challenging her in every way - including conditioning, rebounding and defense. I think this will continue to show up for the next two years, and that is a gift in itself.

I am exited to see what next year holds in store for these Huskies!
Great post- kml's relationship with Kelly was really insightful- KML has fed off it, and plays hard like Kelly and KML has natural God- given instincts. We are lucky to have this argument , b cause there is a case to be made for Steph, Stewie, Brianna Banks was totally emerging, Kelly, Morgan, Messiah possibly, and Bria Hartley, relative to the early season emerged as the real Bria Hartley in the nick of time. Personally I can't wait to see a healthy sophomore named Morgan Tuck. If she is able to work out, get her knee healthy, I think she will become a monster force for us!!! She plays hard like Barbara Turner, who would have been a big star if she had Morgan's frame! She/Barbara had a huge heart- and I think Tuck and Stewie will be impossible to handle!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I've never had as much confidence a shot was going in by ANY UConn player in the past, not Taurasi, not Moore, not Bird.

My thoughts as soon as the ball left her fingers - "that's in." Statistically way better than Bird, Taurasi or Moore. Clutch shooter - it would have to be Taurasi or Bird but I'm looking forward to Mosqueda-Lewis changing my mind.
Actually, I think Mosqueda - Lewis was shortchanged when it comes to recognition for what she accomplished last year. All the buzz was about Dolson's conditioning, Jefferson's speed and Stewart's game, when in fact KML was by far the most productive player on the team. Most improved (although an uninjured Banks would have given her a run) and most valuable in my mind.
Awesome post- Kml was our best player IMO, but B Banks had totally emerged. We wouldn't have lost to ND 3 times if she hadn't gone down. An Baylor game could have been altered a bit. She is/was a lock down defender. Was hitting threes, driving the hoop- she made a huge jump!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The thing with KMl is that she started the year coming off a strong freshman year. Her progress seems more like a natural maturation of a great player. OTOH, Banks was doing stuff that didn't show at all her first year. In Kells case, over 3 years she never showed any major shooting skills. That changed drastically this year. In SD's case, she also seemed to go through a natural maturation of skills that were already evident. Anyway, I' glad we had all of those players.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The thing with KMl is that she started the year coming off a strong freshman year. Her progress seems more like a natural maturation of a great player. OTOH, Banks was doing stuff that didn't show at all her first year. In Kells case, over 3 years she never showed any major shooting skills. That changed drastically this year. In SD's case, she also seemed to go through a natural maturation of skills that were already evident. Anyway, I' glad we had all of those players.
All great comments- we are lucky aren't we----BB did a total 180 and was looking absolutely big time- skills and confidence. She was knocking down threes like no one's biz too!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The issue or question is Most Improved. KML shot 50% on 3s her last two years in high school.
KML really gets caught in the middle, because she came in so great and like a veteran, any maturity and improvement are just expected- it is a good problem for us!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just to be different, I feel Brianna Banks was the most improved player this year. (until she was injured.) She went from sitting on the bench, to playing significant minutes, and making a major contribution. Who WASN'T pleasantly surprised by her improved play this year?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Just to be different, I feel Brianna Banks was the most improved player this year. (until she was injured.) She went from sitting on the bench, to playing significant minutes, and making a major contribution. Who WASN'T pleasantly surprised by her improved play this year?
If anyone wasn't pleased with her until the injury- they would be nuts. Word from the coaches at the end of summer was that she had been totally awesome in summer work outs- and they were right!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think one can make a case for Stef, Kelly, and Brianna as well, but I agree that KML was much improved after being the second best frosh in the nation. She was clearly the best sophomore this year, and arguably a top 3-4 player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally I can't wait to see a healthy sophomore named Morgan Tuck. If she is able to work out, get her knee healthy, I think she will become a monster force for us!!! She plays hard like Barbara Turner, who would have been a big star if she had Morgan's frame! She/Barbara had a huge heart
hmmm, had not thought of that. For many Tuck reminds them of Jones. I always thought more Williams. However a Turner, with an actual forwards body........that might be it.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
hmmm, had not thought of that. For many Tuck reminds them of Jones. I always thought more Williams. However a Turner, with an actual forwards body........that might be it.
Thanks for the reply- Jones is probably a more obvious comparison. I always admired Barbara Turner, because she always played bigger than she was! She alwways left it on the floor. I am so high on Morgan- I think she is something and she is going to be a great great player on both ends of the floor. Fast, quick, cool, great outside shot, and loves to attack the hoop and rebounds like a pro. She really stepped in for us while Steph was hurting at the end- quietly, but she was on the floor alot, and when we were in big games at big times!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply- Jones is probably a more obvious comparison. I always admired Barbara Turner, because she always played bigger than she was! She alwways left it on the floor. I am so high on Morgan- I think she is something and she is going to be a great great player on both ends of the floor. Fast, quick, cool, great outside shot, and loves to attack the hoop and rebounds like a pro. She really stepped in for us while Steph was hurting at the end- quietly, but she was on the floor alot, and when we were in big games at big times!
Yea, she is going to be a good one. Doubt she'll rise to the level Stewart will. But think her and Jefferson are gonna leave with a lot of rings.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Yea, she is going to be a good one. Doubt she'll rise to the level Stewart will. But think her and Jefferson are gonna leave with a lot of rings.
She doesn't have Stewart's gifts- that is for sure- but I see her being dangerous and effective from every point in the floor. And because of the attention they will have to pay to Stewart, she is going to have a great great career. High post passing, posting up under, shooting from outside- I can't wait to watch then all improve- just like this year! I bet Morgan will have a long WNBA career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom