The most improved UConn player this year was....KML? | The Boneyard

The most improved UConn player this year was....KML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Hardly anyone can argue that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis isn't one of the best players on the UConn roster, if not the best. You might get an argument, however, that after her fabulous Freshman season a year ago she ranks as the Most Improved Player this season. A comparison of her statistics makes a strong argument that KML actually got better, a lot better!

KML started only 1 game her Freshman season. Still, she managed to play 1,073 minutes for an average of 28.2 minutes per game. She led the team in scoring with 569 points and a 15.0 point per game average. She finished 2nd on the team in 3 pt. field goal percentage at 38.4% making 93 of 242 attempts. Her 206 rebounds were 3rd on the team and 64 assists were 6th. In the Big East conference, she was both the Sixth Man of the Year and Freshman of the Year. Pretty darn good.

This year, KML started all 38 games she played in. She managed to improve in almost every statistical category. KML led team in scoring, again, but raised her average to 17.6 points per game. Her 670 total points was an improvement by 17.8% over last season. Her rebounding total of 240 and assist total of 89 were better by 17% and 39% respectively. From there, the improvement gets downright scary. Compared to last year, she actually took fewer 3 pointers (240 vs. 242) and fewer total field goal attempts (458 vs. 470) this year. How did she score more points? Accuracy. KML improved her field goal accuracy from 43.2% to 52.8%, her 3 pt shooting from 38.4% to 49.2% (best in the nation) and her free throw percentage from 83.3% to 89.5%!! Throw in a new low post game, better defense ( steals up from 47 to 57) and a team leading 30.2 minutes per game and KML just might be the Most Improved Player on the UConn squad. And she is only a sophomore.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hardly anyone can argue that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis isn't one of the best players on the UConn roster, if not the best. You might get an argument, however, that after her fabulous Freshman season a year ago she ranks as the Most Improved Player this season. A comparison of her statistics makes a strong argument that KML actually got better, a lot better!

KML started only 1 game her Freshman season. Still, she managed to play 1,073 minutes for an average of 28.2 minutes per game. She led the team in scoring with 569 points and a 15.0 point per game average. She finished 2nd on the team in 3 pt. field goal percentage at 38.4% making 93 of 242 attempts. Her 206 rebounds were 3rd on the team and 64 assists were 6th. In the Big East conference, she was both the Sixth Man of the Year and Freshman of the Year. Pretty darn good.

This year, KML started all 38 games she played in. She managed to improve in almost every statistical category. KML led team in scoring, again, but raised her average to 17.6 points per game. Her 670 total points was an improvement by 17.8% over last season. Her rebounding total of 240 and assist total of 89 were better by 17% and 39% respectively. From there, the improvement gets downright scary. Compared to last year, she actually took fewer 3 pointers (240 vs. 242) and fewer total field goal attempts (458 vs. 470) this year. How did she score more points? Accuracy. KML improved her field goal accuracy from 43.2% to 52.8%, her 3 pt shooting from 38.4% to 49.2% (best in the nation) and her free throw percentage from 83.3% to 89.5%!! Throw in a new low post game, better defense ( steals up from 47 to 57) and a team leading 30.2 minutes per game and KML just might be the Most Improved Player on the UConn squad. And she is only a sophomore.....
Have to agree with you. MIP award goes to KML.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would say MIP and MVP. She doesn't get nearly the press as the Big Three, or as Stewart will get next year, but I sure am glad she's on our side.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I've never had as much confidence a shot was going in by ANY UConn player in the past, not Taurasi, not Moore, not Bird. Having said that, I would still prefer Taurasi or Bird to take the last shot in a game. For the other 39 minutes I now have greater confidence in KML.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sometimes, MIP is a mixed message, and may say more about the prior year. But when you can lead a team in scoring AND do well enough to earn MIP, that's astounding.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
the lovely thing about this question is, you can make an argument for several players - Stef, Kelly (offensively), BB (before injury), KML - and, from the start of the season, all three frosh deserve kudos. Basically, there was practically an across-the-board growth in this team, which is why they were able to overcome injuries and illness, and do what they did.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Kelly obviously was the MIP of the conference, so she had to be MIP of the team. No? I do disagree with that notion that Kelly was the MIP, and I feel she won that because it was based solely on her improvement with her shooting percentages - which was an excellent improvement. While Kelly did have more steals and points than any previous season, she had less rebounds than she did her sophomore year, less assists than her junior year and she shot fewer free throws than both her sophomore and junior seasons. Maybe it was a vote on the leadership she openly displayed this season. I feel that Kelly's greatest contribution this year came by taking in KML and challenging her in every way - including conditioning, rebounding and defense. I think this will continue to show up for the next two years, and that is a gift in itself.

I am exited to see what next year holds in store for these Huskies!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My feeling is that the transformation that Stef made physically and her adding the reliable 3 point shot on top of everything else certainly means she deserves serious consideration. I don't think anyone paid a higher price than Stef for the transformation she made.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Kelly won the award for "Most Overlooked Player" in previous seasons, which was made up for by her magically being the "Most Improved" in this one. Kelly was awesome, is awesome, and will continue to be awesome. KML went from not even an honorable mention AA to consensus top 6-7 player nationally. That's a gigantic leap forward. I expect her to be top three/four next season, with the distinct possibility that Breanna will be joining her there.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Great points about Dolson's conditioning and Faris being "most overlooked"..!! Also, KML has repeatedly credited Kelly for helping her in many ways... Pinotbear was right, they All got better, some from last year to this, some during the year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if KML's improvements weren't expected because she was a Sophomore instead of a Freshmen. David would you consider doing a similar statistical analysis on Brianna Banks between last year and this year. She won't have the numbers that KML had, but I suspect the percentages would be comparable to KML.

One of the impacts of Brianna's injury is it forced Moriah to grow up quicker and she became a more valuable member of the team by the end of the year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with any of the picks or stats, but we do need to remember that a player does not earn her stats in isolation, and to do a thorough analysis of a player's stats you have to look at what was going on around her. Sometimes a player will become a more effective rebounder but get less rebounds because some new kid on the block like a Stewie can vacuum up a lot of chances you would have had the year before. Changes in stats are often highly reflective of the opportunities that are given to or taken away from a player. Tiff Hayes graduates and other players are going to step in to pick up those points, assists, and steals.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
My feeling is that the transformation that Stef made physically and her adding the reliable 3 point shot on top of everything else certainly means she deserves serious consideration. I don't think anyone paid a higher price than Stef for the transformation she made.

I just watched and listened to the game broadcast, in which they quote Geno as saying her improvement next year will be as dramatic. That's mind-boggling.

Reaction Score
I guess you could make a good argument for both KML and Kelly Faris. KML improved both Offensively and defensively. Kelly was always a great defensive player, but this year she also became an excellent offensive player.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope that the most improved Husky of 2013-14 will be Kiah Stokes. If that is the case, UConn will have an undefeated season and no opponent will come within 20 points (well, at least 15).

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Wbbfan, here's a quick analysis of Banks from last year vs this year. Because of injury, her minutes ended up about the same 393 vs 359... Lower this year. That was in only 21 games so average was 17 minutes vs only 12 last year. FG % actually went down from 50.5 to 47.9%. But 3 pt % went way up from 12.5% to 34.6%. Turnovers also down big from 31 to 22.I think 3's and lower turnovers are what we remember most. Points went from 114 to 153 so per game doubled...3.6 to 7.3. Most other stats were flat...rebounds 35 to 36, assists 32 to 35 and steals stayed at 25...definitely played with more confidence and shot 3's so well. If healthy, may have really improved....:)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've never had as much confidence a shot was going in by ANY UConn player in the past, not Taurasi, not Moore, not Bird.

My thoughts as soon as the ball left her fingers - "that's in." Statistically way better than Bird, Taurasi or Moore. Clutch shooter - it would have to be Taurasi or Bird but I'm looking forward to Mosqueda-Lewis changing my mind.

Actually, I think Mosqueda - Lewis was shortchanged when it comes to recognition for what she accomplished last year. All the buzz was about Dolson's conditioning, Jefferson's speed and Stewart's game, when in fact KML was by far the most productive player on the team. Most improved (although an uninjured Banks would have given her a run) and most valuable in my mind.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The issue or question is Most Improved. KML shot 50% on 3s her last two years in high school.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
No question the most consistently great performer on the team. She has always been able to score but her progress on the defensive end this year was breathtaking as well as her ability to score in ways other than heaving up a three. She is wearing the right number on her jersey!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, pap, that is the area of improvement where KML excelled along with growing in effort every possession.

Reaction Score
I thought KML was MIP. Kelly got MIP of the conference because she increased her scoring so people noticed everything else she does.

To me though, Kelly is MVP.

Reaction Score
KML is no doubt the best if not the best in WCBB. The minutes I saw her play, her form, her release her floater her stop and pop. They are all in perfect form that can only imagine in theory.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It's pretty darn impressive that you can start with a team good enough to make the Final Four, and have four players with legitimate cases for most improved. Banks was obviously abbreviated, but her performance in the games she played was substantially ahead of last year. Stef's improvement is well-documented, Faris's earned her awards, and KML started as the team's top scorer and still managed to improve, defense, offense with higher percentages, and offense with more aggressive drives to the basket.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
These players improved in different ways and at different paces.

Stef clearly used the off-season to focus intensely on her conditioning, so there was a sharp contrast between the Stef who ended the 2011-2012 season and the Stef who showed up rarin' to go to start the 2012-2013 season.

Kaleena's improvement actually began during her freshman season as she began to use her size/strength to post up smaller guards. Next (sophomore) she gradually used an increasingly wider repertoire of shots --runners, putbacks, pull-up jumpers, etc., plus becoming a tough rebounder and tenacious defender. A complete and genuine All-American.

Brianna showed flashes of her vast potential and now we hope her recovery is complete (like Sue and Jessica, among others) so she can strive for stardom.

Kelly's improvement was mainly in her perimeter shooting since there was so little room for improvement in all other aspects of her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom