The most annoying fan bases in sports | The Boneyard

The most annoying fan bases in sports

Reaction Score

Duke basketball -- Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports
The Cameron Crazies are still the gold standard of infuriating by which all other fan bases are measured. The smug self-satisfaction and overwhelming air of intellectual superiority, the camping out in tents, the lengths they'll go to troll stars on the opposing team — all of it is utterly enraging. They're so annoying that once in a while, they even managed to make Mike Krzyzewski angry. What is most annoying about them, of course, is what’s hardest to admit: Duke is a great program, and, annoying or not, it has hyper-loyal fans.

North Carolina basketball -- Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Duke fans deservedly get the most venom of any college hoops fan base, but North Carolina isn’t exactly filled with humble, “aw shucks” types. Carolina fans are arrogant, hardly a unique quality for a bad fan base, but there’s almost a detached sense about them at the same time. They want their team to win, but if they suffer an upset, no big deal, because they’ll be back with a bevy of top recruits the next season. If you’re a fan of a program that can’t just rely on five-star recruits year after year, that can be tough to take.

Kentucky basketball -- Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports
Kentucky basketball fans are the college hoops equivalent of St. Louis Cardinals fans. There’s a lot of self-satisfaction there plus the overwhelming sense of ownership of the sport itself. Kentucky fans will cheer a truly memorable performance by an opposing player, then make sure to point out to anyone within earshot that they just appreciate great basketball, no matter who is playing it. They expect a national championship every year, and while the team is usually at least on the fringes of serious contention, the idea that a Final Four trip can be viewed as a disappointment is nauseating. Oh, and like Cardinals fans, they’re terrible on Twitter too.

Reaction Score
Really glad that Kansas wasn't included...since it would possibly signal that an 'annoying fan base' is a requirement to be a currently successful blue blood...

Reaction Score
With all due respect, our twitter fan base may be the worst I have come across on the internet. Maybe a battle with tOSU football.

If Flagg ends up at Duke...our reaction may put us over the top...

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I don't mind UNC fans. Duke and Kentucky though? Sure. I'd also add Alabama and Auburn fans.

Reaction Score

The Cameron Crazies are still the gold standard of infuriating by which all other fan bases are measured. The smug self-satisfaction and overwhelming air of intellectual superiority, the camping out in tents, the lengths they'll go to troll stars on the opposing team — all of it is utterly enraging.
My goodness, it's a sport. If you are getting INFURIATED and ENRAGED you should take a step back and take a few deep breaths because you're doing it wrong. None of this should be provoking anger, in the end its a game. Have fun, maybe some good natured ribbing or what not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most fanbases would probably include us on this list. Can't say they're wrong.
You're wrong often so I can't say I'm surprised. UConn fans get the joke, for the most part. Sparty has the worst fans. UNC fans don't even rate on the annoying scale, imo.

Reaction Score
Most fanbases would probably include us on this list. Can't say they're wrong.
I've noticed since about Thanksgiving last year we've become really hated in the r/CBB subreddit. And I can't say the hate we see there is unjustified when I look at how obnoxious some of our fans are...

pj

Reaction Score
You're wrong often so I can't say I'm surprised. UConn fans get the joke, for the most part. Sparty has the worst fans. UNC fans don't even rate on the annoying scale, imo.

Give us a few more championships and a few more boatloads of immature fair-weather bandwagon joiners and we'll be on the list.

I agree about UNC fans, never had a bad experience with them. Kentucky fans too for the most part, they were annoying after Calipari's 2012 championship when they thought their 5 star recruits and slimy coach would bring them a string of championships, but they have been humbled. Duke wins this category hands down.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
My goodness, it's a sport. If you are getting INFURIATED and ENRAGED you should take a step back and take a few deep breaths because you're doing it wrong. None of this should be provoking anger, in the end its a game. Have fun, maybe some good natured ribbing or what not.
This is so true. To see fist fights during games is so insane. Those fans need a reality check.

Reaction Score
The best way to annoy Duke's fanbase is to pass them in titles. That could cause a rush to shrink's offices.

Reaction Score
The UConn Basketball fanbase is actually insufferable. Oddly the Boneyard as a whole is shockingly the least offensive compared to "UConn Twitter" or in person (specifically at MSG).
I don't know, have you been in the chat during a game?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How is Syracuse not on this list? The lead the world in having a false sense of entitlement.

@ConnHuskBask being insufferable is strongly correlated with not knowing much about basketball and having a myopic view of your team. The Yard has a lot of guys who know what they are talking about, only some of whom over-rely on blue tinted glasses. The Twitter guys...they're often insufferable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really glad that Kansas wasn't included...since it would possibly signal that an 'annoying fan base' is a requirement to be a currently successful blue blood...
Is this just food for August? ;) Aside from Twitter, where they are bad like ours, they are mostly knowledgeable and genuinely love college basketball. Never heard any of them be overly negative except about Duke and Missouri. They are dismissive of K-State, as we are of PC.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, our twitter fan base may be the worst I have come across on the internet. Maybe a battle with tOSU football.
I remember going on there in the lead up to the UConn Arkansas game and it was embarrassing the things our fans were saying to the Arkansas fans. I don't like how these people are considered representative of our fanbase.

Reaction Score
The UConn Basketball fanbase is actually insufferable. Oddly the Boneyard as a whole is shockingly the least offensive compared to "UConn Twitter" or in person (specifically at MSG).
I suppose I'm happy I don't have Twitter, (or X?), is it really that bad?

Reaction Score

The Cameron Crazies are still the gold standard of infuriating by which all other fan bases are measured. The smug self-satisfaction and overwhelming air of intellectual superiority, the camping out in tents, the lengths they'll go to troll stars on the opposing team — all of it is utterly enraging. They're so annoying that once in a while, they even managed to make Mike Krzyzewski angry. What is most annoying about them, of course, is what’s hardest to admit: Duke is a great program, and, annoying or not, it has hyper-loyal fans.

North Carolina basketball -- Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Duke fans deservedly get the most venom of any college hoops fan base, but North Carolina isn’t exactly filled with humble, “aw shucks” types. Carolina fans are arrogant, hardly a unique quality for a bad fan base, but there’s almost a detached sense about them at the same time. They want their team to win, but if they suffer an upset, no big deal, because they’ll be back with a bevy of top recruits the next season. If you’re a fan of a program that can’t just rely on five-star recruits year after year, that can be tough to take.

Kentucky basketball -- Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports
Kentucky basketball fans are the college hoops equivalent of St. Louis Cardinals fans. There’s a lot of self-satisfaction there plus the overwhelming sense of ownership of the sport itself. Kentucky fans will cheer a truly memorable performance by an opposing player, then make sure to point out to anyone within earshot that they just appreciate great basketball, no matter who is playing it. They expect a national championship every year, and while the team is usually at least on the fringes of serious contention, the idea that a Final Four trip can be viewed as a disappointment is nauseating. Oh, and like Cardinals fans, they’re terrible on Twitter too.
We got to step our game up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom