The mind-boggling, amazing, season changing defeat of Baylor by Louisville | The Boneyard

The mind-boggling, amazing, season changing defeat of Baylor by Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I just rewatched the Sweet 16 matchup between the Cards and the Lady Bears with the thought that if I did so, perhaps it would make more sense the second time around. And the answer was...not really. However, I did have more thoughts this time around, probably because I wasn't so busy being utterly shocked at what I was watching.

-Baylor's two losses this past season underscore how unfathomable winning 90 games in a row was for UConn. I've said this before, but let me elaborate. At any time, anyone can get injured. UConn had injuries during its 90-game streak, but none that were as impactful as losing Sims early in the Stanford game. Conversely, even if you stay healthy, the odds are simply that at some point, you'll have one of those nights where you don't play especially well and your opponent does. To win 90, you have to be so much better than the field that your B- game is better than almost anyone else's A+ game. Baylor was a good team- a great one, even. A transcendently great one? No, they weren't.

-I think Kim Mulkey is a great coach, but I also think she has to take some of the blame for this loss. I'm not going to nitpick her game plan (though I will nitpick her adjustments a bit later), but to me, the real issue this past season is that there was an aura around Baylor that the tournament wasn't going to be a tournament so much as a coronation. I am 100% confident Kim didn't foster that aura, but she allowed it. There's a difference between swagger and over-confidence. The notion that Brittney Griner thought it was OK to tweet at halftime of the previous game, that someone in the athletic department felt it was appropriate to make requests for types of dunks they wanted to see Griner do against Louisville? That's the kind of stuff that Geno simply would never allow. In fairness, he's had a ton of practice learning how to repeat. Geno's best teams play with the swagger of a team that's been there before and the desire of a team that never has. Baylor had the former, but lacked a bit of its edge from the previous season. That was the difference. And if Kim had to do it all over again, that would be her primary focus.

-Baylor outscored Louisville 30-13 in the final nine minutes of the game. Louisville's last three-point shot came with 9:04 left. And what's amazing is how little of the comeback involved Griner. Sims, Pope, Hayden, and Madden were all more prominently involved, and Griner was more a decoy than anything else. The obvious question is whether that should have happened earlier, and could Louisville have adjusted if it had? Another question that will haunt Kim.

-For the season, Baylor was a sub-70% FT shooting team. They were actually above their average in this game (19-26, 73.1%). I mention this only to note that missing those seven FTs was entirely characteristic of Baylor this season...and in a game decided by a single point, that's kind of important.

-For all of the whining bout Madden's charge with 31 seconds left, the charge called on Bria Smith with 2:01 left was worse. Hammond may have flopped on contact, but her feet were definitely set. I don't care what Lobo and Ward said- Pope's feet were not. That was either a no-call or an and-one. What happened instead was that Bria didn't get two points, Walz got T'd up, and Baylor got two FTs- a four point swing. Given that Mulkey didn't get T'd up for her reaction, I'd say she really has very little cause to complain...

-...especially given that Baylor got the lead afterwards anyway! Unfortunately, they decided to run a full court defense with Griner at halfcourt. I think the idea was that Monique Reed wasn't going to be able to drive past Griner, and if she did, Griner would be able to recover. This proved a miscalculation. Griner should have been under the basket.

-Now, Louisville was, at one point in the game, 16-21 from behind the three-point line. Shoni also hit that impossible layup over Griner with her back to the basket. There was very little Baylor could do about either of those points. Louisville played its A+ game to be sure. In a single-elimination format, you must be ready to play pretty close to yours at all times because you can't always control how out of its mind the other team might be.

-Walz deserves credit for a good game plan, and probably just as much for winning the subsequent regional final game against Tennessee. I would have bet anything Louisville would have had too much of a hangover after this win to play at a high level two days later. But that's exactly what happened.

-So, what would have happened in a Baylor-UConn rematch in New Orleans? I honestly think UConn wins. Improved guard play, Breanna's emergence, Kelly's desire to go out on top, KML's steady production, UConn's institutional knowledge of how to win championships...I just think the pieces came together for Geno to get his eighth, no matter who was in the way. I'm sure Baylor fans would think differently, and I hardly begrudge them that. And quite frankly, I'm perfectly at peace with never being able to know for sure.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Helluva post. Wish I could have seen the game. Tell me, though; to what extent was Griner actually "beaten up on" and to what extent was she simply smothered with coverage? Shoud more fouls have been called against L'ville? Or is that just sour grapes from BU fans (and coaches)?

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis. Especially about how hard it is to have a long winning streak.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Helluva post. Wish I could have seen the game. Tell me, though; to what extent was Griner actually "beaten up on" and to what extent was she simply smothered with coverage? Shoud more fouls have been called against L'ville? Or is that just sour grapes from BU fans (and coaches)?

There were a couple of times when it was pure mayhem for sure.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Mulkey failed to work the officials, which is ironic. As soon as she saw Lou playing very physical, she should've gotten a T.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
They were very physical with Griner. However, the foul count 24 against L'Ville, 14 against Baylor. By the end of the game Shoni, Bria Smith and Hammond had fouled out.

To me it looked like one of those game where the other team plays out of it's mind for 38 minutes, but the better team wins in the end and the underdog goes home with a moral victory. However, Baylor fell apart in the last two minutes after making an amazing comeback. Just terrible, terrible game strategy. Griner should never have been near halfcourt. Mulkey deserved a technical for her antics. WHY were they even pressing in the final seconds? Stay at halfcourt and force them to throw up a prayer.

That game to me really revealed some major flaws in Mulkey as a coach. Slaughter was allowed to shoot at will in the first half after hitting like five three's in a row. SWITCH GRINER OFF HER! Griner can't guard anyone more than 15 feet out from the basket. Just terrible coaching.

I think that the way UConn was playing at the end of the season would have been too much for Baylor. Obviously, we matched up much better with Louisville in the final and beat them by 30. But I think we would have beaten Baylor anyway.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
-Now, Louisville was, at one point in the game, 16-21 from behind the three-point line. Shoni also hit that impossible layup over Griner with her back to the basket. There was very little Baylor could do about either of those points. Louisville played its A+ game to be sure. In a single-elimination format, you must be ready to play pretty close to yours at all times because you can't always control how out of its mind the other team might be.

I was wondering this the entire first half. Why weren't the Baylor players contesting any of those threes? In some cases, Louisville would make one pass and then shoot. Very few of them resulted from excellent ball movement. Most of them were Slaughter just standing out at the three point line daring Griner to guard her.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very nice post Alex. A couple of points. Baylor never came out and played perimeter defense and the way LVille was hitting treys they needed to get out on the perimeter. Nobody stepped up for Baylor when Griner couldn't score. Now let me say this. Griner is 6'8 and has over 8 inches on almost every player. How can she not find a way to score. Late in the game when Baylor had their run I could just feel they wouldn't win. IMO they didn't deserve to win because they didn't do what what they needed to do to win. It was LVilles game from start to finish and they did finish. Baylor had a great assembleage of players but they didn't execute and imo were going through the motions figuring they would win some how. Give Simms credit for stepping up and almost single handlely won the game for Baylor. Simms stepped up but nobody else did. Shame on Baylor for not making the finals. The game reminded me of the Ball St Tenn game a few years back. Ball St had the outside shooters and Tenn never came out to guard them. Ball St got their confidence up and that was it. LVille had confidence and during the game almost looked invincible full of confidence. Baylor didn't step on them early and should have.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Mulkey complained bitterly about the "physical play" against Griner. Perhaps she was right. But Mulkey and Griner didn't adjust during the game, which was their job to do. I felt that Mulkey and the Baylor team had a sense of destiny; they couldn't imagine that anyone would beat them. I think that attitude, plus a great game by Louisville, led to their downfall. It takes a lot of talent and a lot of effort to win a national championship. Baylor fell short on grit and effort because of their sense of inevitability that they would win. Just my opinion.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd have to rewatch the game to confirm my impressions, but... I think it was overthetop physical on Griner in the first 5 minutes or so. Then louisville players got a couple of fouls on them (I think it was Hammond and Shoni) and the physical play eased off. Anytime espn showed highlights and talked about "how physical" the game was, the showed the first few minutes of the game. I'm thinking it's a bit of a canard.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Baylor/Louisville game is no longer avail on ESPN3 but the Final Four games are still is or a couple of days. They also have the complete net cutting ceremony, which I had not seen before

ESPN3/Basketball - Link

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"For the season, Baylor was a sub-70% FT shooting team. They were actually above their average in this game (19-26, 73.1%). I mention this only to note that missing those seven FTs was entirely characteristic of Baylor this season...and in a game decided by a single point, that's kind of important."

Lots and lots of good stuff from Alex, as we have come to expect (Ok, Dude, feel the pressure of trying to live up to expectations--it's like trying to win 90 in a row :)).

Here's my minor reaction to a point others have not mentioned. I love Alex's understatement above.

Reaction Score
I'll always feel that Baylor was 30, maybe 60, seconds from winning that game and we still would have soundly beaten the Bears.
One month (Heck, 2 weeks) earlier, did anybody think we could have gotten to the Final Game with a gimpy Stefanie Dolson? All=in-all a very satisfying season.

Reaction Score
Awesome post Alex.

I had forgotten that the halftime tweet was the previous game.

It's not that Geno wouldn't have allowed it. It's that Geno and Chris create a team culture that would keep any player from even contemplating doing something like that. Still shake my head when I think about it.

Reaction Score
Two more things ... Yeah I agree we probably would've beat the Bears ... And the quote Phil called out is classic. Well out Alex!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
It was an amazing FF, drama, great players, incredible things from the coaches, all the way from brilliance to antics etc. And I think the effects will spill over to add interest to the WNBA.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Not sure I thought Mulkey was a great coach before, but now, certainly not after she failed to make the necessary adjustments to beat Louisville.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'll always feel that Baylor was 30, maybe 60, seconds from winning that game and we still would have soundly beaten the Bears.
One month (Heck, 2 weeks) earlier, did anybody think we could have gotten to the Final Game with a gimpy Stefanie Dolson? All=in-all a very satisfying season.
Jim I always thought we would win the NC this season.

Reaction Score
That's another difference between Geno and others, he put Breanna on Slaughter, and except for a couple of 1st half drives for scores she was held to almost nothing. He even said in the press conference when asked about how they shut down Slaughter," that was mostly Stewie."

Reaction Score
Baylor's epic loss to a weaker, but determined Louisville, has implications for Baylor's future, I think. A loss like that is a psychological blow to the program. Not only do they lose a once in a generation player to graduation, that player goes out with a disappointing loss 3 games early, leaving the once in a generation player short of the collegiate scoring record, let alone short of a championship that was all but assured.

That hurts.

Waco TX is not the most scenic of cities. Both Waco and Baylor have suffered tragedies within living memory that cast a pall over the place, for a time at least. Frankly, I feel a bit sorry that Baylor did not reach the final this year. I wish them all the best in future and hope they make it to the wbb finals several times in the remaining years of this decade. However, that is the limit of my good wishes. ;-0

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I'm not going to nitpick her game plan (though I will nitpick her adjustments a bit later), but to me, the real issue this past season is that there was an aura around Baylor that the tournament wasn't going to be a tournament so much as a coronation. I am 100% confident Kim didn't foster that aura, but she allowed it. There's a difference between swagger and over-confidence."

++++++++++++++++++++100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01