The Merits of an On-Campus Stadium | The Boneyard

The Merits of an On-Campus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been a gripe with college students for years, but with the start the football program has endured this seasons, I've heard the same rumblings resurface in recent weeks or months. Students apparently loathe busing twenty minutes to the games, only to have nothing to do when they arrive. It's supposedly a primary reason for them for leaving games early, as well.

It goes without saying that Rentschler Field is still brand new, so any notion of even attempting to scrap it or sell it are overwhelmingly ridiculous. But I'm curious whether students and general UConn fans alike feel there is any validity to the complaint, and whether it would invigorate game day experiences that greatly. It's not like there isn't plenty of land in the Storrs area. The campus is in the middle of a giant cow pasture. But I'm wondering how strong the opinion is for an on-campus stadium.

In my opinion, the complaint is a bit disingenuous. We're willing to travel all over the country or to Downtown Hartford for the basketball teams, but a twenty minute drive to East Hartford is suddenly asking too much. The Fiesta Bowl game was an embarrassment because we did not travel or represent well at that game. That being said, on the flip side, a stadium on-campus would probably be more "intimate" for a game day experience for UConn students, alumni and fans. Personally, I can see both sides of the argument and was wondering what the general consensus is. Is it a genuine argument, or something for fans to b 1 tch about.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Every single person would love to have a stadium on campus. There's no doubt it would be better for the students, the players and the program.

But it's not there.

We have a nice stadium, no bad seats, great area for tailgating.

Is what it is - no sense having this discussion for the 800th time.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the complaint is a bit disingenuous. We're willing to travel all over the country or to Downtown Hartford for the basketball teams, but a twenty minute drive to East Hartford is suddenly asking too much.

I agree with what Fishy said about this being an utterly pointless excersize, but I do take issue with the quote above.

It's not disingenuous because 98% of schools play on-campus. Somehow, their alumni survive the bad traffic. Somehow, they manage. In Connecticut? WHY DON'T THEY PLAY MORE GAMES IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY?!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
not_this_shit_again.jpg

Reaction Score
I agree with what Fishy said about this being an utterly pointless excersize, but I do take issue with the quote above.

It's not disingenuous because 98% of schools play on-campus. Somehow, their alumni survive the bad traffic. Somehow, they manage. In Connecticut? WHY DON'T THEY PLAY MORE GAMES IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY?!?!?!?!?

That's my point. If "it is what is", then how are fans willing to travel to Hartford or all over the country for basketball, yet find something to moan about with Rentschler?

Reaction Score
There are a couple of tradeoffs here. If you tried to get out of the USMNT team's game on Fri, you will understand traffic issues. I just tried to get out of the Louisville basketball game last season and it took 2 hours to get out of X-Lot. You may get more fannies in the seats, but many long timers would avoid the traffic problems and just not go. I never missed a game but I would not go to a Friday mess at 7PM in Storrs - hopefully the students would. Lastly you want Alum to treck to these games. No hotels in Storrs and how does an Alum from NYC get back to Storrs.

Tradeoffs

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I say play at Yale Bowl. More seats and brings the Fairfield fan closer-few million in upgrades and we are looking at 80,000 screaming Ohio State fans once we join Big 10.

In all seriousness I don't get the nothing to do complaint but I am not at that age anymore. I see thousands of what seem like college students partying up a storm at each game. They seem to have found rides to the game and things to do while waiting for kickoff. On the flip side - the outcry from the soccer moms this past weekend is all you need to know about not having a stadium on campus. The current stadium is 5 minutes from 2 interstates and 36k can't get in and out without major confusion. I don't care if you make the road from 84 to Storrs 6 lanes. It ain't happening any quicker for getting in and out.

I still want to know how many more students we are expecting to go to a game if stadium is on campus - football fans. We don't need anymore students showing up half way through first qtr and leaving halfway through 3rd. What makes a home field advantage is students who are there for the game-ask MIch St. Also without beer sales you are going to lose 10000 fans - but that might be a good thing.

Reaction Score
As mentioned, on-campus would be better for the students but money comes from the alumns. Tailgating = parking money and more money spent inside the stadium and high seat prices. Students don't spend money cuz, well, they don't have any. So from a business point of view I think they prefer to cater to non-students. Connecticut is all about the $ and a stadium full of students (discounted tickets and not buying food/beer inside) = no $

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The students do not fill up the upper section of Gampel for 90% of the men's games (the Champion Center end opposite the main section). I am glad we have the travel excuse for football - some do not want to make the effort. I think they should charge students $10 per ticket & another $10 if you do not get your ticket scanned entering GP before the tip & leaving GP after the buzzer. It's 2 hours - 8 times a year.

GP has not sold out in several year with season ticket holders. XL does not sell more than 10k season tickets for most games. We'll see how the die-hard fans do off last years success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom