The Mandalorian | The Boneyard

The Mandalorian

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu are offering a pretty attractive bundle, so I got it. None of them were strong enough to get by themselves, but $12.99/month for all of them is worth it.

I really like the Mandalorian. Pascal is great, and the main character is not likable, but is interesting enough for you to stick through some bad stuff to see where this goes. First two episodes are strong, the plot line is interesting, and the side characters are interesting. If you love Star Wars, you are going to love the Mandalorian. If you just like, or even don't like Star Wars, you are still probably going to like the Mandalorian.

My only complaint is that the background music is just terrible. It is like a B adventure movie soundtrack, and I can't figure out why Disney, a studio known for its movie soundtracks, would let their next franchise offering, and the foundation for their streaming service, get released with such crappy background music.

Reaction Score
The episodes have been too short so far. Some fun stuff, but leaves you wanting more. Hopefully we will start getting some longer episodes, especially since they are only releasing an episode a week.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read a reviewer's defense of the score, which has a western flavor to it. I think it is incongruous with a sci-fi show, but I am willing to get it another chance.

Episodes are a little short. The benefit of TV is that they can take their time with the stories, so I hope they flush the characters out a little.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I read a reviewer's defense of the score, which has a western flavor to it. I think it is incongruous with a sci-fi show, but I am willing to get it another chance.

I haven't seen The Mandalorian. This comment made me think of Firefly/Serenity, which was a sci fi Western and some of the score went hand in hand with that.

Reaction Score
I fell asleep. I don’t think it is that good at this point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen The Mandalorian. This comment made me think of Firefly/Serenity, which was a sci fi Western and some of the score went hand in hand with that.
I stumbled onto this over the summer and I think you and I talked about it then. It is a surprisingly good series made with then unknown actors many of whom have gone on to be pretty well established. (Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarin, Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk.) I think it only ran one season so it is an easy series to squeeze in when you are looking for something to watch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Episodes are a little short. The benefit of TV is that they can take their time with the stories, so I hope they flush the characters out a little.

No, go with your first instinct. The score sucked. It takes me away from the cinematography, not into it.

Unlike you, I like the main character. Manages to convey the proper world weariness of the character with few expressive techniques.

Reaction Score

Have not watched, but heard there is a spaghetti western style to it. If so, Ennio Morricone's scores are some of the best ever, so sorry to hear this soundtrack is poor. Not sure if that's whats going on here or not.

Westworld (movie) was one of the first to combine the two genres.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, go with your first instinct. The score sucked. It takes me away from the cinematography, not into it.

Unlike you, I like the main character. Manages to convey the proper world weariness of the character with few expressive techniques.

I like the main character in a Don Draper/Tony Soprano kind of way. I am pretty sure he is more villain than hero, and that is hard to pull off for a show. So far, so good though.

Reaction Score
I stumbled onto this over the summer and I think you and I talked about it then. It is a surprisingly good series made with then unknown actors many of whom have gone on to be pretty well established. (Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarin, Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk.) I think it only ran one season so it is an easy series to squeeze in when you are looking for something to watch.
Firefly has quite a cult following. Awesome show. Up there with Freaks and Geeks for best show that was cancelled inexplicably after just one season.

CL82

Reaction Score
FWIW, I watched the first Mandalorian last night and was surprised by it. It's definitely watchable with a ton of SW references in it. SW fans will like it. Ironically enough I did struggle to stay a wake toward the end, but I think that was more a function of busy week and late start than actual quality.

It does have a bit of the gritty, scratching out a living, feel of Firefly.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it greatly but I’m hopelessly biased. They pulled off a great season and introduced Ahsoka Tano (and hinted at Thrawn). Pretty seamless integration into the existing Star Wars universe. Sure, a few of the episodes were filler but overall they held things together fairly well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Best show in TV at the moment. Not really close. They are doing a superb job with this. Show runners are Star Wars junkies and it shows.

Reaction Score
Season 2 was phenomenal. The mention of Thrawn was a jaw dropper, and then what happened in the finale brought tears to my eyes.

Jon Favreau could light a kitten on fire in front of me and I'd shrug and say, I trust he knows what he's doing.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ugh, my Disney+ ended and the only thing I was watching was the Mandolorian. so I gave it up. Sounds like it was just when the season got really good.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Ugh, my Disney+ ended and the only thing I was watching was the Mandolorian. so I gave it up. Sounds like it was just when the season got really good.
Might not be a bad idea to hold off until they’re close to releasing the next series, ie last quarter 2021.

Reaction Score
Might not be a bad idea to hold off until they’re close to releasing the next series, ie last quarter 2021.

There's talk that it will be Ahsoka in the summer of 2021, the Book of Boba Fett in the fall of 2021, followed by Mandalorian in the Winter of 2022 and then Kenobi in he Spring of 2022. Not sure where the rumored Cassian Ando nor the Rangers of the New Republic shows will hit not to mention the animated shows, tough bad Batch will be this Spring.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You can survive racist posts from a decade ago if you are a minor character, not one from a week ago as your second offense. I guarantee she won't be missed.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
You can survive racist posts from a decade ago if you are a minor character, not one from a week ago as your second offense. I guarantee she won't be missed.
She's maybe the 8-10th most intriguing character in the show. Mando is primo, followed by Grogu, Moff Gideon, Boba and a few others before she deserves mention.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom