The Main thing is the Main thing this season. | The Boneyard

The Main thing is the Main thing this season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We're all wondering what to expect this season from our team. With the first day of practice done we should be hearing soon what the coaching staff feels about each player. I would think that our stars will play less minutes then in the past. The injuries we've experienced over the past couple of years has made us aware that many players were overworked before they got to UConn and they need to rest their bodies. To many players have not had the rest they needed before getting to UConn. So where does that bring us.

Well over the next couple of weeks we will see who is ready to play significant minutes. We will see who is ready to go full throttle and who needs time to get up to speed. There have been many posters questioning those coming back from injury and if they are ready to play. Healthy, this team is almost unbeatable. We have alot of keys to this team to make that happen. Some posters have thought Amari will be a huge asset if healthy and will fill the void of having a big in the middle to contest some of the bigs (over 6'4) that we will face. I do too. I feel with an effective Amari at 6'6 gives us a player who can draw opposing bigs out to guard her as she is a threat from outside 15 ft. She will also be a threat down low. Amari along with ICE will give UConn the help down low that they lost with the graduation of Dorka and the injury to Jana. Amari can be a huge factor if shes healthy and can be effective. IMO she needs to be developed as she is only a junior. Not perfect just be effective. Remember last season she played injured too.

We have players who we need to develop not only for this season but next season and beyond too. They are the future. We dont know if Paige will stay another season or two. Im sure the coaching staff has some indication and we do not and will not know that for sometime yet. Paige can carry us this season much like she did before her injury and along with Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline (if she is ready to go). I expect the coaching staff to be cautious this season with minutes played as to not have reinjured players.

The question marks will remain question marks as the season moves forward. We have a very tuff first couple of months of the season. We must remain rested and healthy even if that means our stars playing less minutes to insure they remain healthy.

Preseason polls has LSU number 1. Hey with Reese and Morrow they have a really good inside game and rebounding. However IMO those 2 do not provide a good outside game based on last season. UCLA now has Betts. Some are concerned about her height. Remember this she didnt see alot of minutes at Stanford last season and there was a reason for that and it was more then just having Brink in the middle. At 6'7 she imo couldve seen more minutes and why she didnt. That reason we dont know anything about. Bottom line there are a bunch or really good players on many of the top teams but their aint no Paige Azzi Aaliyah... and a healthy Caroline. They are the difference and they will make the difference. We have seen in the past that you dont win a NC without great guard play and UConn has that. UConn has a group of players who will be vying for 1st team AAs. No other team has that. Healthy UConn will go all the way. Healthy UConn could very well go undefeated. The main thing is the main thing and staying healthy is the main thing this season.

Reaction Score
Too many people get fixated on having really tall players. The challenge with every tall player out there is how well can they keep up when you push the floor and UCONN can and will push the floor. The second issue with tall players against teams like UCONN is they will need to guard a player that can play away from the basket which limits the advantage of their height. Sure they could play a zone and have them sit down low but do you really think you beat UCONN leaving the perimeter open to shooters?

I would not be surprised if you see times this year when UCONN goes with a 4 guard lineup to pressure the other team. The might be the only team in the country with three All Americans and a bench that every person can contribute. This will be one of UCONNs most dominant seasons.

Reaction Score
Every post above is well said and right to the point. Especially Tonyc. My take on this team is the possibility of this team being one of the best that Uconn ever had. The potential is great and the incoming players have shown in their over seas play, that they are not amateurs or freshmen. Their scoring and speed was outstanding. The caveat that they were not playing teams of the caliber of the teams they will face in the coming season is moot. The teams effort was a determining factor in my opinion and you cant buy effort, it;s there or it's not. With Geno's and CD's coaching, they will become polished and well coordinated and then, watch out for the oncoming NO.1 team in the country. This is Uconn's year. GO HUSKIES!!!!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
ok ... why no mention of nika, who only is the conference DPOY (2 times) and a husky record-holder in assists. of course, she is also a noted leader on the court and off (yes i'm aware paige is special)? and she makes this very talented team even better, according to the h.c.

an interesting omission.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the statement that many of our players were injured from being over worked. The injuries were from sprained ankles, knees being rolled into, concussions and a dislocated patella. Our Huskies, all thru the years, have had really hard practices, harder than most games. They have been used to the grind and except for Lou getting beat on thru-out some games, the ones who didnt have the misfortune of some accidental injury were ready for the post season.

Reaction Score
We're all wondering what to expect this season from our team. With the first day of practice done we should be hearing soon what the coaching staff feels about each player. I would think that our stars will play less minutes then in the past. The injuries we've experienced over the past couple of years has made us aware that many players were overworked before they got to UConn and they need to rest their bodies. To many players have not had the rest they needed before getting to UConn. So where does that bring us.

Well over the next couple of weeks we will see who is ready to play significant minutes. We will see who is ready to go full throttle and who needs time to get up to speed. There have been many posters questioning those coming back from injury and if they are ready to play. Healthy, this team is almost unbeatable. We have alot of keys to this team to make that happen. Some posters have thought Amari will be a huge asset if healthy and will fill the void of having a big in the middle to contest some of the bigs (over 6'4) that we will face. I do too. I feel with an effective Amari at 6'6 gives us a player who can draw opposing bigs out to guard her as she is a threat from outside 15 ft. She will also be a threat down low. Amari along with ICE will give UConn the help down low that they lost with the graduation of Dorka and the injury to Jana. Amari can be a huge factor if shes healthy and can be effective. IMO she needs to be developed as she is only a junior. Not perfect just be effective. Remember last season she played injured too.

We have players who we need to develop not only for this season but next season and beyond too. They are the future. We dont know if Paige will stay another season or two. Im sure the coaching staff has some indication and we do not and will not know that for sometime yet. Paige can carry us this season much like she did before her injury and along with Azzi Aaliyah and Caroline (if she is ready to go). I expect the coaching staff to be cautious this season with minutes played as to not have reinjured players.

The question marks will remain question marks as the season moves forward. We have a very tuff first couple of months of the season. We must remain rested and healthy even if that means our stars playing less minutes to insure they remain healthy.

Preseason polls has LSU number 1. Hey with Reese and Morrow they have a really good inside game and rebounding. However IMO those 2 do not provide a good outside game based on last season. UCLA now has Betts. Some are concerned about her height. Remember this she didnt see alot of minutes at Stanford last season and there was a reason for that and it was more then just having Brink in the middle. At 6'7 she imo couldve seen more minutes and why she didnt. That reason we dont know anything about. Bottom line there are a bunch or really good players on many of the top teams but their aint no Paige Azzi Aaliyah... and a healthy Caroline. They are the difference and they will make the difference. We have seen in the past that you dont win a NC without great guard play and UConn has that. UConn has a group of players who will be vying for 1st team AAs. No other team has that. Healthy UConn will go all the way. Healthy UConn could very well go undefeated. The main thing is the main thing and staying healthy is the main thing this season.
@Tonyc as always....well said!
Salute GIF

Reaction Score
All I want is for the team to avoid major injuries. If they stay relatively healthy they have as good a shot at going all the way as the other top 5 teams & maybe even better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom