The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Reaction Score
... and all that angst about UConn being first.

>>It would be somewhat ironic if the multi-billion-dollar college football industry was felled by the MAC, which would rank either ninth or 10th in a hierarchy of the 10-conference FBS. Even more specifically, it could be Northern Illinois—coming off a 5-7 2019 season—that ultimately pushed the first domino.<<

Reaction Score
Things aren't getting better. UConn was the canary in the coal mine.

Nah MAC more so IMO. They could theoretically play a conference schedule if they chose to, but lack of resources and safety concerns shut it down. Uconn’s Hand was forced because they no longer had a viable schedule. If they were somewhere like The ACC, they would be “playing” until the conference pulled the plug. Same as anybody else.

Reaction Score
Let the NFL try and play the season. The players have a union and will have more say in getting things done in a smart and safe way. Running kids out there to keep the money train running is ridiculous. The NFL might be able to bubble the players somewhat. Doing this to college students would be very difficult and really need buy in from the players. The AAC players nailed it asking for hazard pay. The jig is up on the let's play the season nonsense.

Reaction Score
Penn State football players take to social media: '#IWantToPlay'

“Since day one coming back to campus the Penn State Football staff and medical experts have put our health and safety first, above anything else. The guidelines put into place keep us safe while playing the game we love. We are ready to play and we want to play.”

Reaction Score
I kind of feel for league commissioners.

This is the other side of the coin for those having leadership aspirations.....particularly when there is a pandemic with truly mysterious characteristics. Choices either way have consequences.

It’s the mystery and unknown that has made this situation so bad. Nobody gets the luxury of a true crystal ball.

Reaction Score
Cancelling the season is the only option at this point. Too much risk associated with playing in the fall without a vaccine or handle on the spread of the virus. If they can make it work in the spring, great. If not, at least let schools practice for an extended time in the spring. If conditions are conducive to being able to practice of course.

Reaction Score
I, after doing some reading, do worry about the possible heart damage aspects of the virus....

I'd say a vast majority of the kids want to play...but should the universities enable that?

And, if that heart damage is a real possibility...why open campuses?

Reaction Score
I think it is possible, though not likely that the SEC and B12 soldier on and an ACC team or two try to play an Indy schedule of sorts, each other and some B12s plus anyone else who wants to keep at it but overall the season is toast. There is just too much unknown and this virus spreads to easily and is basically out of control in half the country or more. From what I’ve seen rec3ntly something like 19% of people who get it have “long haul” symptoms that extend beyond the normal 2 week course of the illness. Some last months and have not ended so nobody can really say how long, if ever they will clear up. Some things are nuisance impacts, tinitus, tiredness, stuffy nose. Others such as gi problems and chest and back pain are less so. Then others like memory problems, “ brain cloudiness” heart problems, are pretty severe. And these long haul symptoms seem to hit 20-50 year olds who have mild to moderate cases that are treated at home with “ bed rest, Tylenol and chicken soup“. In other words not in hospital settings. The CDC has identified I think around 50 such symptoms but a recent Indiana School of Medicine study Identified many more, closer to 100. And since this virus has only been around for less than a year, we really don’t yet have a handle on who or why it strikes and what the long term impacts might be. I get some kid at PENN STATE want to play. I want UConn to play, but they shouldn’t. Nobody should.

I thought Nelson had a great analogy. This is’t about a binary choice of fighting a tiger with a waffle ball bat or locking yourself in your basement. It is about being smart and striking a balance between doing some things, doing Many others differently and not doing some things for the time being. Football, and really all sports, fall into the last category.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Their best bet is to start planning for a unified spring season. 5 months total with practice starting in Feb, games in March. Any postseason activities occur in June (CWS ends around June 26 so should not be an issue).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom